MeganSchallom

Lenten Whole30 2/14-4/1

Recommended Posts

*raises hand I'm also doing a Lenten Whole40!!  This will be my second completed Whole30, I did my first back in August and attempted my second in January.  Unfortunately, unexpected travel and illness derailed my January Whole30.  I've also added in some extra workouts and I have found that I am not eating enough to support my calorie expenditures, even though I'm eating the same portions as my last Whole30.  Time to up my eating game - NOT COMPLAINING!  I'm so glad to have others in the boat with me over the next 40 days.  ~Lisa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! I just started my first Whole30 yesterday for Lent. I even gave up my annual White Castle Valentines Day reservations. I don’t know what a group me is, but I’d be interested. I got some awesome smoked salmon at Aldi’s and had that with eggs for breakfast. I also used Trader Joe’s everything bagel seasoning. It was really good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ndelarosa said:

Hope everyone's first day wasn't too bad!  I was getting hungry about an hour after eating my meals. Does this happen to anyone else?

Hello and welcome. Generally you should not get hungry an hour after eating unless you are fasting. Since I was fasting (smaller meals) for Ash Wednesday, I did get hungry earlier than I would on a regular Whole 30 day. If you are getting hungry an hour after you eat, your portion sizes may not be big enough or your are not getting enough healthy fat and or protein in your meal. 

I know people can differ, but I tend to get hungry about 4 hours after my meal. I work out first thing in morning, so I usually get my breakfast about 8:30am, I am ready for lunch about 12:30pm-1pm and am ready for dinner by 5:30-6pm. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, OHMaryF said:

Hello and welcome. Generally you should not get hungry an hour after eating unless you are fasting. Since I was fasting (smaller meals) for Ash Wednesday, I did get hungry earlier than I would on a regular Whole 30 day. If you are getting hungry an hour after you eat, your portion sizes may not be big enough or your are not getting enough healthy fat and or protein in your meal. 

I know people can differ, but I tend to get hungry about 4 hours after my meal. I work out first thing in morning, so I usually get my breakfast about 8:30am, I am ready for lunch about 12:30pm-1pm and am ready for dinner by 5:30-6pm. 

 

Thank you for this!  Perhaps my portions are smaller but this is my first time doing Whole30 and last night i did a meal from the Blue Apron package that was Whole30 approved.  Their portions are smaller than I normally eat but maybe I was eating too much to begin with. I am snacking in between my meals when i am getting hungry (all fruits!). I'll try to increase the portion size and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 2 is over for me! I had an egg and bacon scramble, lunch was beef stew with sweet potato and carrot, dinner was leftover stew. I add friut to each meal and a few almonds. 

Going well so far. I hope everyone is doing well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ndelarosa said:

Thank you for this!  Perhaps my portions are smaller but this is my first time doing Whole30 and last night i did a meal from the Blue Apron package that was Whole30 approved.  Their portions are smaller than I normally eat but maybe I was eating too much to begin with. I am snacking in between my meals when i am getting hungry (all fruits!). I'll try to increase the portion size and see.

I forgot to note that your activity level is also a factor. If you work out, run, swim, etc. you may need more.

The meal template is very helpful to know how much a portion is of food.

https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Also, if you feel hungry, the book talks about thinking about if something with protein (some tuna, a piece of chicken) would satisfy you. If so, then you are probably hungry. If not, then it may be just a craving. Also, if you do need to snack it should not just be a piece of fruit but preferably something with protein or at least something with a healthy fat. So a piece of fruit with some nuts. I have tried the RX bars and I like them and the compliant ones have fruit and protein. I try to bring an extra avocado to work and some veggies so if I am working late or get hungry, I can snack on a healthy fat and some veggies.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 2 is almost done for me. I'm doing pretty well so far, except I'm not eating enough at lunch. I'm eating big afternoon snacks (yesterday, apple & pistachios; today, two Epic bars). I need to add some leftovers to my lunch box! Luckily my Instant Pot is full of a delicious beef & vegetable stew - perfect for leftovers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was planning on starting my first Whole30 on Wednesday too. But when it got here I was super overwhelmed and had to take a step back and make some better plans. So I will be starting on Monday the 19th.  I have completed my wk1 menu, my copy of Day by Day will arrive tomorrow, this weekend I'm cleaning out my pantry and fridge, I decided to put post-its on my bathroom wall numbered 1-30 (I will pull one off after completing a successful day), grocery shopping Sunday after Mass, and then meal prep! I have my plan, now just to execute!  I can do this!... Right? :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's going well for me so far. I didn't eat a lot yesterday since it was Ash Wednesday and I was fasting. Today I was feeling overwhelmed because I was out of town at the beginning of the week and haven't really prepped anything. I have groceries, but meal planning is always hard for me. I will be working this weekend, so I'm hoping to make a few things tomorrow. Any meal planning tips? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Elizabeth22 said:

It's going well for me so far. I didn't eat a lot yesterday since it was Ash Wednesday and I was fasting. Today I was feeling overwhelmed because I was out of town at the beginning of the week and haven't really prepped anything. I have groceries, but meal planning is always hard for me. I will be working this weekend, so I'm hoping to make a few things tomorrow. Any meal planning tips? 

I prefer to do something like this:  http://meljoulwan.com/2010/01/14/paleo-kitchen-the-method-behind-my-madness/  -- basically, you spend a lot of time once or twice a week making sure you have plenty of food on hand, so that your actual day-to-day cooking is minimized. 

Whatever you decide to do, it's always good to cook ahead. Don't just grill enough chicken for this meal, make enough for at least one more meal -- or as many as you can fit on the grill, so you have several meals' worth. When you're chopping vegetables that will hold up well pre-cut in the fridge or freezer, go ahead and chop a bunch -- things like carrots, celery, onions, bell peppers, hardier greens like kale or collard greens. You can use a crockpot/slow cooker to cook food while you're at work, or if you don't like to leave it going while you're not home, you can cook things overnight while you sleep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Allis said:

I was planning on starting my first Whole30 on Wednesday too. But when it got here I was super overwhelmed and had to take a step back and make some better plans. So I will be starting on Monday the 19th.  I have completed my wk1 menu, my copy of Day by Day will arrive tomorrow, this weekend I'm cleaning out my pantry and fridge, I decided to put post-its on my bathroom wall numbered 1-30 (I will pull one off after completing a successful day), grocery shopping Sunday after Mass, and then meal prep! I have my plan, now just to execute!  I can do this!... Right? :unsure:

Allis, you got this! You are so well prepared! Being honest with yourself and realizing you need a few extra days to prepare is part of the process. Stay true to yourself! Stay here with us and we will help each other along the way! 

5 hours ago, Elizabeth22 said:

It's going well for me so far. I didn't eat a lot yesterday since it was Ash Wednesday and I was fasting. Today I was feeling overwhelmed because I was out of town at the beginning of the week and haven't really prepped anything. I have groceries, but meal planning is always hard for me. I will be working this weekend, so I'm hoping to make a few things tomorrow. Any meal planning tips? 

Elizabeth, I too fasted on Wednesday and it was tough! When you are feeling overwhelmed because of lack of prep and prep time, my advice is keep it simple. The crockpot is great but ultimately it does require chopping, prepping and time. When you are low on time stick with simple meat and veggies. Grill some chicken, steak, sausage with cauliflower, brocolli, carrots etc. And season with olive oil, salt and pepper. A mixed salad with tuna is an easy simple meal too. Just take it one meal at a time. When you do catch some time try doing what Shannon said and make extra food and freeze it. For example crockpot beef stew  or chili, or bone broth. 

Day 3!!! What’s on your menu for today! Always looking for new ideas!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Allis said:

I was planning on starting my first Whole30 on Wednesday too. But when it got here I was super overwhelmed and had to take a step back and make some better plans. So I will be starting on Monday the 19th.  I have completed my wk1 menu, my copy of Day by Day will arrive tomorrow, this weekend I'm cleaning out my pantry and fridge, I decided to put post-its on my bathroom wall numbered 1-30 (I will pull one off after completing a successful day), grocery shopping Sunday after Mass, and then meal prep! I have my plan, now just to execute!  I can do this!... Right? :unsure:

Yes! You most definitely can do it!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As part of my Lenten promises, I am doing daily reflections using Matthew Kelly’s “Best Lent Ever - Journal” and reading his “Perfectly Youself” book. All really good stuff. Today’s reflection was focusing on failure and how we need to change our perseption of it. 

“We must never allow our spirit to be stifled by failure. Failure is part of progress, not a final outcome.” 

:o

I have seen many posts of people who have said this is their second or third attempt. And their beating themselves up about it... “All of your failures leave you better equipped than ever before to succeed in your next attempt.”

I must say that this Lent, I can really feel the Holy Spirit working.

Hope you all have a successful day! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ksprljan said:

Day 3!!! What’s on your menu for today! Always looking for new ideas!

Today's menu is a lot like Days 1 & 2. What can I say? I'm a batch chef.

M1: sweet potato/bacon/spinach/egg casserole. I bake this on Sundays in a 9x13 pan, slice it into 8 pieces, & have hot breakfasts all week. If anyone wants the recipe, I will post it.

M2: salad (mixed greens, diced chicken, carrots, celery, bell pepper, & lots of Tessamae's avocado ranch dressing) & leftover beef & vegetable stew.

M3: sauteed zoodles (spiralized zucchini noodles) topped with my homemade spaghetti sauce (ground bison, lots of canned tomato products, onion, crimini mushrooms, seasonings).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Whatever you decide to do, it's always good to cook ahead. Don't just grill enough chicken for this meal, make enough for at least one more meal -- or as many as you can fit on the grill, so you have several meals' worth. When you're chopping vegetables that will hold up well pre-cut in the fridge or freezer, go ahead and chop a bunch -- things like carrots, celery, onions, bell peppers, hardier greens like kale or collard greens.

THIS! It can be little things. If my oven is on cooking anything, I will put in a few potatoes to bake. If I am cooking some chicken, i will go ahead an cook some pork chops or salmon. This helps me always have some things to pack for my breakfast and lunch that have some variety.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also doing a Lenten Whole30 and cutting down on tv/digital entertainment time, too. This is my first time doing Whole30 - I've wanted to try it for a while. Yesterday morning was rough for me. I actually vomited and I wanted to quit! But I didn't, and I've made it to Day 3. So far today has been so much better. Good luck to you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, angledge said:

Today's menu is a lot like Days 1 & 2. What can I say? I'm a batch chef.

M1: sweet potato/bacon/spinach/egg casserole. I bake this on Sundays in a 9x13 pan, slice it into 8 pieces, & have hot breakfasts all week. If anyone wants the recipe, I will post it.

M2: salad (mixed greens, diced chicken, carrots, celery, bell pepper, & lots of Tessamae's avocado ranch dressing) & leftover beef & vegetable stew.

M3: sauteed zoodles (spiralized zucchini noodles) topped with my homemade spaghetti sauce (ground bison, lots of canned tomato products, onion, crimini mushrooms, seasonings).

Please post the casserole recipe. That sounds amazing!  I find very limited things to eat for breakfast - 3 days of eggs and I'm tired of it already lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on day 3 and feeling the sugar hangover - scatter-brained and fatigued - and at the same time I feel so light and happy.  It's crazy how quick the good things are kicking back in to gear in spite of some protest from my brain looking for quick carbs.  :-)

You guys are freaking rock stars!  Love hearing about all that you're up to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweet potato/bacon/spinach/egg casserole

Ingredients:

  • 2 lb. sweet potatoes
  • 4 slices of compliant bacon
  • 3-5 green onions
  • 12-14 eggs
  • 1 cup frozen chopped greens (spinach, kale, whatever)
  • 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
  • 1/2-1 tsp. salt (to taste)
  • 1 tsp. nutmeg

Preheat oven to 425 degF.

Peel the sweet potatoes & dice them into little pieces (1/4" size). Melt some (~ 1 Tbsp.?) coconut oil in a bowl, add the sweet potato pieces, salt to taste & toss to coat the pieces with oil & salt. Place them in a single layer on a baking tray & roast for 20-22 minutes.

While the sweet potatoes are roasting, fry up the bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan & pat the oil off it with paper towels. Use the bacon grease-coated paper towels to grease a 9x13 glass baking dish. Leave a little bit of grease in the pan. Chop up the bacon into bacon bits. 

Dice the green onions & give them a quick saute in the bacon grease.

Break the eggs into a large bowl (I re-use the bowl I used to oil the sweet potato pieces without cleaning it in between). Whisk them until they are uniform. Whisk in 1 tsp. of nutmeg (or more if you like nutmeg).

Once the sweet potatoes are done roasting, turn the oven down to 350 degF. Scrape the sweet potatoes cubes into the greased baking dish, layering in the sweet potatoes, green onions, & frozen chopped spinach. Don't get fancy here - by "layer" I mean "spread each ingredient around in the baking tray, avoiding large clumps". Pour the egg/nutmeg mixture over everything, making sure the egg mixture covers all the other ingredients. Sprinkle the bacon bits on top.

Bake at 350 degF for approximately 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown. 

Also, if you're sick of eggs for breakfast, you can try this breakfast casserole: Sausage & Spinach Breakfast Casserole. I've made this one many times & it's delicious. 

 

 

Edited by angledge
added link to S&SBC recipe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ash Wednesday was a breeze because how easy is it to not eat bad when you know you have to fast?

 

Thursday morning - good breakfast. Thursday lunch- good. Thursday snack, HAD TO SNACK. Wanted to Eat All Things! Which led to me not eating dinner. Bad..

 

Today I had a good breakfast and am prepared for lunch. It's all veggies today. I am frustrated right now with my family. I am traveling home for the weekend and asked if they were going grocery shopping and what was for dinner. It was a big ordeal. Not supportive at first but tonight we'll have spaghetti squash. Hopefully this is the worst it gets from people outside the whole30 community! 

 

Happy Friday. Keep staying strong!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ksprljan said:

Day 3!!! What’s on your menu for today! Always looking for new ideas!

Hello everybody,

I'm also in for a a lenten whole 30 starting Wednesday 14th (my first whole30), going well until now! Had some nausea yesterday in the afternoon, I figure it was a mix of getting used to the new foods and being still hungry after lunch.

Also, I'm on sync with you, @Ksprljan, as I'm living in Vienna, Austria :).

Today's menu: breakfast was scrambled eggs and some banana with tahini, roasted veggies for lunch (plus some olives), and a big niçoise salad (lettuce, tomatoes, onion, olives, tuna, hard boiled egg) for dinner with some carrot with red pepper flakes and guacamole as a side.

Wednesday's dinner was a shrimp and pineapple curry with roasted sweet potatoes and cashews (+ a side salad: lettuce, tomatoes and an orange) - bliss!

Wishing you all a pleasant continuation!! We can do this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now