Not a fan of Avocado or Coconut

Hello, 

I am on day 1 of Whole30. I know it is still early, but I am concerned with not getting enough fat. I am not a huge fan of coconut or avocado. I don't care for the consistency of avocado or the flavor of coconut. I am looking for meal suggestions or ways to disguise these foods into my meals. I found myself very hungry at about 10am after eating breakfast at 7:15am. I ate a hard boiled egg and a small apple for a snack. 

Breakfast included: 

1- Palm sized mango chicken sausage patty,

1/2 cup diced sweet potato home fries,

a handful of blueberries,

and one egg. 

• Administrators

Don't disguise them, just skip them. Make homemade mayo. Use/make ghee. Make pesto or chimichurri. Dump ranch. Olives. Olive oil.  Limited nuts/seeds (like no more than a closed handful every other day). There are quite a few fat options that would not require coconut or avocado. :) 

Thank you for such a quick response! 

Do you have any ideas on how to incorporate your suggestions into meals? Specifically breakfast? 

I guess I am a little confused on the fat portion of the meal anyways. I use oils for cooking, but is that sufficient? 

I was able to find whole30 compliant ghee, mayo, and a few dressings as well. I am not sure how to use these best, especially for my morning meal. I am also having a hard time because I used to be a strict calorie counter and these things were usually "off limits" in my mind. It is freeing to not have to calculate calories for every meal, but I also feel a little blind as to how to prepare meals using more fat. 

12 minutes ago, boyercs said:

Thank you for such a quick response! 

Do you have any ideas on how to incorporate your suggestions into meals? Specifically breakfast? 

I guess I am a little confused on the fat portion of the meal anyways. I use oils for cooking, but is that sufficient? 

I was able to find whole30 compliant ghee, mayo, and a few dressings as well. I am not sure how to use these best, especially for my morning meal. I am also having a hard time because I used to be a strict calorie counter and these things were usually "off limits" in my mind. It is freeing to not have to calculate calories for every meal, but I also feel a little blind as to how to prepare meals using more fat. 

Here's what I would do with your breakfast - add a tsp of ghee to the sweet potatoes AFTER they are cooked, make the mayo into ranch dressing (or get tessemae's ranch) and drizzle over the veggies/sausage, or you could mix the mayo with some spices or just have it plain and dip the chicken sausage in it!

You could also add some more roasted veggies to bulk it up and that should hold you over a little longer!

Another vote for adding ghee to your veggies after you cook them!

I eat a lot of olives (avocado allergy, and I don’t like mayo). For breakfast I’d just eat alongside whatever else I was eating. If you make soups, I bet you could blend in an avocado to a puréed soup to “hide” it but still get the fat. But I don’t think you should force yourself to eat things you dislike. 

I will have to try the Ghee on veggies, does it make them really greasy feeling? 

I was able to find Tessamae's dressings, so I have a few of those. I like the flavor of avocado, just not the consistency so I think incorporating it to soups or sauces might help. I also don't like olives. :( I know I am sounding like the pickiest eater, but I am already learning how much of my diet was lacking in whole foods. I used to think I ate fairly healthy and well balanced, but already on day 1 I am realizing how many grains and sugars I was consuming. 

My first whole30, a few years ago, I was starving - I was testing allergic to a lot of foods, all of them produce, so it was a super restrictive time for me. Out of desperation (and being tired of coconut!) I tried olives again... turns out, I loooove GOOD olives. Not the crap my family ate. The Whole Foods olive bar saved my life that day. Your taste buds may change during w30! 

I add coconut cream to soups as well for added fat, the solid part in a can of coconut milk. Depending on the recipe, it may not have a coconut taste. I don’t mind it, but I know others are more sensitive to the taste. Maybe worth a shot? Or, perhaps a drizzle of a good EVOO or ghee in a soup as an alternative?

I don’t think the veg gets too greasy. Start with a little and see how you feel.

This has been something that has been difficult for me as well. I started eating more small side salads with my meals (even breakfast) so I could count the dressing as the fat! I LOVE Primal Kitchen Caesar dressing (which is compliant and is becoming easier to find). I also love just mixing olive oil, lemon, and pepper for a nice dressing! 

But, I also second ghee! I didn't think I would like it at all but it's delicious! 

And, as someone who has hated olives my whole life, an olive bar does help... I still don't love them, but I can eat them now! 

Archived