Sourcing food in Australia

glimmer

Has anyone found plantains over here at all?

I keep seeing people mentioning these plantain tostada things and I want to try them, damnit!  But I only ever see bananas.  Have looked in veggie stores and local market as well as the supermarkets.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen plantains, but they're a bit carby for me :) They're like gigantic bananas, you won't miss em if you see em. They're not available year-round, not sure how hard they'll be to find in our winter. Not sure if they're local or imported. I've only seen them at my local asian greengrocer (who also stocks wintermelon, spaghetti squash and other hard-to-finds).

• 2 weeks later...

I will just keep looking out for them!  Probably something I shouldn't eat too much of but I want to try them!

If I can find them in Hobart, you can probs find them in Perth :-D

I did have to ask on Facebook to find out. There's a spice shop in the centre of the city that stocks them (most of the time?) and a modern grocer/cafe (the Aproneers) out in the suburbs that sometimes stocks them.

They ended up being quite expensive so I only got them once. I wonder if you got green bananas at the correct point of unripe-ness whether they would work for the tostadas (I've pinned a recipe, probably the same one you're talking about)

• 2 weeks later...

So this is a bit old, but on Facebook look for Broth of Life. Its a very small company from northern Tas that use local (grass fed of course, can't get anything else in northern Tassie!) meat and veggies for their broth, then they dehydrate it. So you just dissolve in hot water and drink (or put it in your soup pot). It tastes pretty good too!

Hi there, can anyone recommend compliant chicken, beef or veggie stock. I sometimes make my own, but would like to have some on hand for when I've been short on time. Ta

So this is a bit old, but on Facebook look for Broth of Life. Its a very small company from northern Tas that use local (grass fed of course, can't get anything else in northern Tassie!) meat and veggies for their broth, then they dehydrate it. So you just dissolve in hot water and drink (or put it in your soup pot). It tastes pretty good too!

I saw this stock yesterday, most types are compliant I think

http://thestockmerchant.com.au/products/

Maggie beer stocks are also ok I think :)

For any Melbourne folks looking for the purple-inside white sweet potatoes, I found huge ones in an asian veggie market in Glen Waverley (not in the Glen). It was much crunchier than I expected when cuting up, almost crumbly like an apple. Took longer to cook than an orange one too. Tasty.

We don't eat (or haven't eaten) bacon/prosciutto at home because I've never found a decent one without piles of rubbish, and because of nitrates/nitrites, and from reading that the poor pigs aren't raised nicely and aren't that healthy for us because of this? . I have read that the nitrates/ites aren't that bad, but not sure....

Anyway!! I did see air cured prosciutto in Coles today, the only ingredients being pork, salt and sodium nitrates/ites. Considering getting some as G would probably like it.....but has anyone in WA got any idea where I can get better pork products?

i saw "green bananas" in the vegie section at an Asian grocer next to coles at carousel.....are they the same thing?

I think they're still different, plantains are more angular whereas the green bananas I've seen are still rounded ...  But I think they would stand in ok.  I'll try them sometime, trying to keep my starch/fruit consumption lower at the moment :)

For pork products I think talking to a butcher would be the way to go ...  They might have cured products with fewer additives.  I never got around to doing that because I'm lazy!

I think they're still different, plantains are more angular whereas the green bananas I've seen are still rounded ... But I think they would stand in ok. I'll try them sometime, trying to keep my starch/fruit consumption lower at the moment :)

For pork products I think talking to a butcher would be the way to go ... They might have cured products with fewer additives. I never got around to doing that because I'm lazy!

These things were quite square...more rectangular than a banana! Ill have to have a proper look one day

I'm not so fussed on pork...I don't miss bacon really!

Me again!

We've never had kombucha, and I decided to buy some Mojo Kombucha today when I was out having coffee at a health/organic store & cafe...

It has sugar listed in the ingredients - on the "can I have" list it says this means it has probably been added and therefore not compliant, but the company website says its only added at the start of ferment...

Can anyone confirm/clarify? I've never made it myself so no idea of the process involved!

Thanks - fingers crossed it is nice! I bought a ginger one and a lemon one

• 2 weeks later...

All the plantains I see are much larger than a banana, like the difference between a normal banana and a lady finger. 

I've bought prosciutto from both Coles and Aldi with similar ingredients. I don't worry about nitrates much anymore, but I limit cured meats in general for the fresh stuff http://chriskresser.com/the-nitrate-and-nitrite-myth-another-reason-not-to-fear-bacon

We're now starting to see organic chicken at our local Coles, Inglewood Farms, not just Lilydale chicken.

Plantains are roughly 20-30cm long, almost straight & more triangular than bananas.

Green bananas won't work in the tostada recipe, as plantains, especially the green ones that the recipes are very starchy - much more so than green bananas. As they ripen (skin goes black) the flesh mellows & becomes more banana like, but still as some starch.

General rules are the unripe ones need to be cooked twice, like in tostadas & are savory, while the yellow/black ones are fried gently once & are sweet like bananas.

Can't comment on finding them though, as I've only seen them in shops in the US.

For any folks who buy Pandaroo, I recently checked a bunch of things I haven't used in months and Pandaroo Chinese cooking wine contains wheat!!! (this won't be Whole30, even without wheat), in the bin it goes. I'll go back to sherry.

I got a plantain last week at my usual asian grocer, might be worth checking your local ones.

Wow this thread is so helpful. I also get Alowrie ghee from Coles but I never thought to look in the Indian section. I don't realise that most Aussie beef is grass fed. I bought some grass fed beef from superbutcher once and found it a bit tough. Coles now need to stock kale as my local one doesn't :( I feel like writing a formal letter of request

Iana, I've found grass fed beef to be more tender! We use the Heston cooking method though...maybe that's why?

Our Coles sometimes has kale, but the bunches are tiny and look a bit sad. We generally avoid Coles for vegies when we can - we are lucky that we can go to a really good grocer who has lots of decently priced organic fruit and vegies!

I actually found tuscan kale in my Coles the other day... last bunch, very small compared to the grocer ones, but it was nice and crispy. I'll take whatever kale they'll sell me! :D

I finally found commercial kombucha today, Mojo and Wonderdrink. Both much fizzier than the kind I had bought earlier and much less sweet tasting. I also found CoYo icecream and yoghurt, but I think both are not Whole30 compliant, they are dairy free though.  

Iana, I've found grass fed beef to be more tender! We use the Heston cooking method though...maybe that's why?

Our Coles sometimes has kale, but the bunches are tiny and look a bit sad. We generally avoid Coles for vegies when we can - we are lucky that we can go to a really good grocer who has lots of decently priced organic fruit and vegies!

What's the Heston method? Is that Heston Blumental? I'm intrigued.

Heston Blumenthal indeed!! I'm pretty sure it's being demonstrated on the MasterChef master class episode tomorrow night :)

You basically turn it lots and lots - about every 15/20 seconds - you can google it, I think there's plenty of explanations on various pages :)

• 1 month later...

Archived