Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

I haven't made it through all of the posts today yet so if you already posted ignore this, but how did you do today after going to bed on time last night?

And HOW MEAN of your husband!! Smack him over the head! :P

:( 123...even higher. I went ahead and posted something in the Whole30 with medical conditions forum. Hopefully someone will be able to tell me what I might be doing wrong.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quickie:

I pass by my husband's little thingie on the cabinet every day no less than 20 times a day. Today, I mindlessly grabbed for one of those bubblegums. Thank goodness, I caught a grip and realized what I was doing BEFORE I put it in my mouth!!!! Whew!

We have these little peppermint lifesavers at church all over and it's a habit to grab a few. Just as we started this we went to midweek service and I grabbed a couple and was handing them to my husband and remembered - can't have them! They're still in my purse.

Hello

I started my whole30 on Jan. 1 and I wondered where everyone was. It took me while to navigate the forums. This will be my 3rd Whole30 that I finish and my second successful one. One time I was about 80 percent compliant, one time I was just awful and just wondered off. (gotta plan) and one time, January 2012 I was Awesome! The results, the energy, the whole thing. It changed my life and I remained about 80/20 for the rest of the year.

It gets easier. This time around, no awful two week withdrawals, and my energy is greater and so much more.

Day 11 so far is successful and still feeling great. My face had really broken out from drinks and sugar I had on New Year's Eve and it's finally starting to clear up! .. My struggle today has been with my sweet daughter who wants me to try treats and things that she is eating. She thinks I'm missing out by not having the same pasta or cookie or candy that she's having. I try to explain to her that I'm not missing out and I'm feeling good and eating the foods that I want to eat. She'll go as far as wanting me to just try a crumb! I'm holding strong though and when I think about the stomach pain I have when I eat pasta or sweets, I know it's not worth even a crumb. :)

Add it all together and you get this: 8371380862_60acaa3d54_z.jpg It was pretty tasty! I know in the past when I've embraced a Paleo or Primal lifestyle, I've always gotten very tired of eating the same things over and over again, which has usually made it a lot easier to give into temptation. One of my goals during this Whole30 is to learn to make lots of different simple, tasty meals. So far so good!

Yum!! I also like Rogan Josh (I used the Penzey's recipe and swapped the yogurt out for coconut milk) and have been working on Chicken Tikka Masala without the yogurt. If anyone has any recipes, that's my favorite. ;)

Sleep - Amazing! Attitude -awesome! Belly - apparently getting flatter ( my hubby noticed). Energy- soaring! Things are going well, really well all of the sudden. Hoping I can keep it up. Learning about the "extinction burst" really helped me understand what is going on mentally. And I was off work all week so that kept me focused. 3 12 hr shifts starting tomorrow. All of my food is cooked and ready for 3 days. Now I just have to cope with the stress triggers . . . Wish me luck!

What is the "extinction burst"?

Day 11 so far is successful and still feeling great. My face had really broken out from drinks and sugar I had on New Year's Eve and it's finally starting to clear up! .. My struggle today has been with my sweet daughter who wants me to try treats and things that she is eating. She thinks I'm missing out by not having the same pasta or cookie or candy that she's having. I try to explain to her that I'm not missing out and I'm feeling good and eating the foods that I want to eat. She'll go as far as wanting me to just try a crumb! I'm holding strong though and when I think about the stomach pain I have when I eat pasta or sweets, I know it's not worth even a crumb. :)

Awww. My daughter (5 1/2) and I have talked about my "January Challenge". She has a small grasp on what gluten is as we have talked about being gluten free before. She has been really supportive! My son (2 1/2), however, really wants to feed me everything he eats. ;)

I'm getting confused about what I have updated where between here and my Whole30 log. I realized that my breakfast portions might be a little too big as I wasn't finishing it all. I thought I'd remedy that this morning by scrambling just *one* egg (eggs from my farmer are HUGE!) but I'm still struggling. My appetite must be adjusting or something, it's only been happening the last few days. I *have* become more aware of my hunger/thirst cues. Yesterday I drank a ton of water, way more than I did before this started, and it makes me feel so good! I have struggled with water intake for years. Last night I noticed that my wedding band is easier to move around. :)

This weekend is going to be great weather. We're going to a friend's house this afternoon for a couple of hours, no meal, though I need to plan ahead and have something ready for when we get home. Tomorrow we are going to another family's home for a meal. It's supposed to be near 70 so we're grilling. She's going to make some grilled shrimp, I'm bringing steaks for us, she's making a legal cole slaw and I'm bringing a green salad. Plus she's making some grilled pineapple with some sort of lime mint sauce with no sweetener so it's legal, too. She's so sweet.

Going to be a challenging weekend for me - we will be traveling, hoteling, and eating out from this evening through Sunday afternoon. Like every meal. I won't have any downtime (unless I call dashboard time in traffic "downtime"), I won't have any opportunity to cook ahead, and any meal planning or goal setting will need to be done in a much different environment than usual. I also won't have any opportunity to work out.

The only thing I really miss is an occassional glass of red wine. I'm bringing plenty of sparkling water with me so I won't have to rely solely on water. If I can make it through the weekend, I'll be on Day 14 and I know I'll start to see the horizon ahead. I just need to keep my eye on the goals I set on Day 0 and feel the success I know I'll experience on Day 31 (or 46 if I decide to extend my experience a bit longer).

Wish me luck. I wish I could say this is a slam dunk but it will be an emotional and stressful weekend so I will have my hands full.

Best wishes on your journey! Keep us posted and reach out if you need support.

Sleep - Amazing! Attitude -awesome! Belly - apparently getting flatter ( my hubby noticed). Energy- soaring! Things are going well, really well all of the sudden. Hoping I can keep it up. Learning about the "extinction burst" really helped me understand what is going on mentally. And I was off work all week so that kept me focused. 3 12 hr shifts starting tomorrow. All of my food is cooked and ready for 3 days. Now I just have to cope with the stress triggers . . . Wish me luck!

Good luck! And congrats on how you're feeling.

...Plus she's making some grilled pineapple with some sort of lime mint sauce with no sweetener so it's legal, too. She's so sweet.

Sounds delightful. And how kind of your friend to support you. Enjoy!

The last several days have been hopping. My schedule has me running all about for meetings and so on. With the craziness of it all, I haven't been in the forums as I'd like. I have sung all your praises as I've talking with people who are curious about this weird way I'm eating.

The long and the short of it...

• I'm really doing this. Even with catered business meetings and being away from the haven that is my own kitchen.
  • My energy is good.
  • My skin is happy.
  • I'm way, way, way less bloaty than 2 weeks ago.
  • I can go a long time without eating and I don't get irritable and shaky.
  • I know it's time to eat when I start feeling tired, which isn't from the moment I wake up until I go to sleep.

I hope you're all having a great weekend.

In the land of dreamy dreams-

First of all, I keep hitting the wrong key and erasing my entire post. Second of all, is there a spell check? I could use one.

I had a crazy dream last night, ;/ - not a food dream, about an old friend that I haven't seen in a while.

and I finally got enough sleep! woot!

I can "taste" subtle flavors. Not sure if this is a blessing as I already had an over sensitive sense of smell. and now taste? Like a foodie, can taste subtle spices, etc.

I have more energy, and yesterday I "forgot" to eat lunch and didn't get hungry til about 6 p.m.

Today, I spent two hours in the yard stacking firewood and hauling brush from a tree the storm killed.

and fixing to do more manual labor.

crabby gone, cravings gone, sleepy I think gone, so far so good. Bring on the bouncy happy!

Day 11, and I have a really stuffy nose, and I have for the past few weeks. What does it mean? It's not bad enough to require medicine or anything, but neti potting hasn't really helped either. I feel fine otherwise, no headaches, no cravings, enough energy to do yoga and get under the barbell and sprint a few times a week. I have no known allergies. What do you think, hivemind?

My husband and I used nasal saline rinses (using a juice cup not a netti pot) for quite awhile. I ultimately started having trouble doing that - it seemed to make matters worse. Since I gave up dairy I don't have too many issues with stuffiness, until this past week on my W30. Whenever hubby eats too much sugar, he gets nasal congestion. His remedy is mineral water and crystal vit c. I always go for Bromelain and Quercetin (500mg of each) twice a day. They work as antihistamine/decongestant, and they really help, along with a dose of powdered Vit-C in water. A touch of mineral water makes it more fun.

You said it. "I have no known allergies." Now is the time you get in touch with your system to identify those foods that actually do bother you. Where they may have been masked before, they will now become more apparent as you detox. -d

Day 12. I am staying strong! I was elected to bake a cake for my cousins bday today. Try baking a scratch chocolate cake without taking a lick. First because it smells soooooo yummy and 2ndly out of sheer habit. Phew. I survived. tonights dinner is carne asada for the birthday and my mom will make guacamole w/o sour cream so, I will have plenty of options. I plan on bringing a bbqd chicken breast in case there is sweetness in the meat.

My face broke out yesterday in places it dosn't normally, so that's kid of wierd. That's all I have to report on this wonderful Saturday!

So, right after I wrote my last post, I realized that what I earlier thought was gnawing hunger was a different kind of gnawing. I fear I've caught the latest stomach bug. I won't go into the details. I've been resting in bed most of the day and haven't eaten a thing. Nothing sounds appealing and I can't imagine putting anything in my stomach.

I remember that it's most important to stay hydrated. And that for food, I should have soft/blander foods. Of course the normal advice is to eat (sparingly) crackers, etc. That's not happening. This bug isn't kicking me out of the game. I think I'm going to try sipping a little water, maybe some chicken broth. And maybe I'll have someone cook and mash a yam for me.

Any other thoughts and how to stay as strong and nourished as possible when my digestive tract is under attack and angry? And yes, I realize that this isn't a place for medical advice and that anything that is suggested to me can not be construed as such.

I'm getting confused about what I have updated where between here and my Whole30 log. I realized that my breakfast portions might be a little too big as I wasn't finishing it all. I thought I'd remedy that this morning by scrambling just *one* egg (eggs from my farmer are HUGE!) but I'm still struggling. My appetite must be adjusting or something, it's only been happening the last few days. I *have* become more aware of my hunger/thirst cues. Yesterday I drank a ton of water, way more than I did before this started, and it makes me feel so good! I have struggled with water intake for years. Last night I noticed that my wedding band is easier to move around. :)

Right there with you on the portion thing. I got halfway though my breakfast today and felt full- I think. Thing is I don't want to under eat and then have to snack. It's hard to get used to.

I made the jicama home fries last night... for the first and last time.

The recipe said cook each side until it turns brown. Well, mine was brown already (after soaking 24 hours in slow cooker), so color was no indicator.

The recipe also said to cook in a single layer. I didn't do that either, as I had no pan big enough and didn't feel like multiple batches.

It tastes OK, but nothing like fries. I did like it more when mixed with a dollop of homemade mayo, garlic, and paprika. If it were a quick dish, maybe I'd make it again, but it required so much prep and soaking that I don't feel it's worth the effort to make again.

On another note, since I started on Dec 27 (hope I don't get kicked out of this group! lol) I realized this morning that yesterday was my half day mark. I'm surprised at how easy this has been, and how expensive. I won't even TELL you how much I paid for a loin roast at a farm today (100% grassfed, organic, etc). On the 50 min drive home from the farm, my husband and I talked about what we miss and plan to incorporate when the 30 days is over. He said "I'm bringing back EVERYTHING. Going to the Jamaican restaurant and getting oxtail with rice & peas and a meat patty." For me, 1st thing I see reintroducing is my morning coffee with splenda or stevia and french vanilla creamer. But I do not miss much else on a daily basis. For that, I'm pleased.

Any other thoughts and how to stay as strong and nourished as possible when my digestive tract is under attack and angry? And yes, I realize that this isn't a place for medical advice and that anything that is suggested to me can not be construed as such.

Homemade chicken soup works wonders if you can get someone to cook for you. Or scrambled eggs?

Homemade chicken soup works wonders if you can get someone to cook for you. Or scrambled eggs?

Also Traditional Medicinals makes an organic ginger tea. Maybe sipping hot beverages will help. They have a huge selection so they might even have one designed for stomach flu.

I've been really crashing after my yoga (vinyasa 'power' type classes). I've tried eating two eggs and a side of kale for breakfast and some avocado for fat and I've tried eating less and more of these things and it still seems like when I am done and driving home I am famished. This just started about 3 days ago. For the first 10 days I had no appetite at all. I tried eating some nuts in the car to hold me over until I could get home and fix lunch (I have to pick my daughter up so it is a little delayed).

Otherwise, I'm feeling pretty good. I do that yoga class 3-4 times a week though so I'd like to figure it out if anyone has suggestions.

I just woke up not too long ago and I'm feeling a bit tired after going to bed later than I wanted (10:30) and the kids waking me up at 7:20 and wanting to give my husband the chance to sleep in (like he gave me yesterday!). I have been sleeping hard enough that I'm not up between 2:30 and 5 to take my thyroid medication, so I have to wait an hour after I take them to eat anything. I'm sure once I get some food in me that I will get some energy!

Yesterday was tricky, we went to Chipotle AGAIN (I have got to stop this, my budget cannot take it). I know why this is happening. I have struggled the last 3 days to do prep. My husband hurt his arm so he was unable to do the cleaning part to my cooking so I have had to step in and that has taken up my time. My brain has been so focused on clearing things out, cleaning, removing temptations. I spent an hour the other day with the kids at the car wash vacuuming out my car and all the remnants of snacks they've had that are not on plan, the reminders of the trips to Starbucks for that sugary drink and sugary treats and McDonald's.

I need to stop by the store today to get the last of the ingredients I need to make the salmon cakes from ISWF. I am really looking forward to those. I made the Asian Meatballs, but again with the gamey flavor of the meat, they weren't so awesome. I'm eating them because I have to but that gamey flavor overtakes the cilantro, fish sauce, and sweet potato in them.

Fields of Athenry, which is a local farm that supports WAPF principles, is doing a series of cooking classes. One of them is cooking meat, and they've got one on February 9th. I think my husband and I are going to sign up for it. I've already decided dairy will be the first thing I trial so that should time out with the cooking class (considering one of the sauces contains heavy cream).

Archived