Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

I have a Pampered Chef serrated peeler this is quite the handy tool as well. And a Wüsthof knife that I keep sharp with several bamboo cutting boards in various sizes are also very helpful. It's funny, I asked for a cutting board as a gift a few years ago and got 4! One broke in half, so my son sanded the broken edges and now I have two smaller very handy boards.

Also useful: foil and non-bleached parchment paper. These help tremendously with clean up. And matching rectangular food storage containers as well as tall 32oz. containers have helped stow things in the fridge and freezer.

I have not used my blender, my stick blender, my toaster oven, or mixer once in the last 23 days. Nada.

I just bought a julienne peeler and am anxious to dig in to some veggies with that.

Your post made me think of several things:

1) My bamboo cutting board broke into a few pieces. I threw them all away; had I known bamboo plays a role in keeping a knife sharp, I would've kept the bigger piece.

2) I definitely agree about foil & parchment paper! Well, I had a firey eppisode a few years ago with parchment paper, so I'm now either extra careful with it or I use a silpat mat instead.

3) I enjoy my stick blender when making soup (particularly butternut squash and cashew nut soup). I take out some of the veggies with a slotted spoon, then puree the rest with my hand blender so the flavors blend, then add back in the veggie chunks.

4) Please let me know if you are very happy with your julienne peeler & if so, what brand it is. My mandolin slicer came with the ability to julienne, but it is more effort than I'd like with sweet potatoes.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about you all, but I can gain weight SUPER easily. Like, if I were an actress and had to gain 20 lbs for a movie, I could say "When? By next week?"

Yesterday afternoon, as I was about to leave work, I saw that a meeting had ended in a conference room near my office. Left behind: tons of various cookies (choc chip, macadamia nut, sugar, etc), several bags of single-serve trail mix, lots of sodas, and 8 bottles of water. Were this a month ago, I would've taken all of the trail mix, a few cookies, a few sodas, and all of the water home. Instead, I only took the 8 bottles of water.

Today in the kitchen on one side of the hall: another platter of cookies, cups of pudding (chocolate & vanilla wafer), plenty of fruit. On the other side of the hall: salad. Instead of cookies, pudding, and fruit (what I would've taken before), I added some salad (with my homemade garlic paprika mayo + apple cider vinegar + Italian seasoning <-- things I keep at work to make compliant salad dressing) and a bit of fruit to my lunch (chili and spaghetti squash).

So I was thinking.... wouldn't it be great if every time we made GOOD choices, we lost a lb... to offset the lbs gained whenever making bad choices. I wish it worked like that.

I like how you're thinking. Who can we talk to about that?

4) Please let me know if you are very happy with your julienne peeler & if so, what brand it is. My mandolin slicer came with the ability to julienne, but it is more effort than I'd like with sweet potatoes.

I will let you know. Should be any day now. It better be as much fun as I think it's going to be. In the meantime, I got this Ghidini Dual Blade Julienne Peeler from Williams-Sonoma for $8.

You know, I think I have a julienne blade on my food processor too. Why do I keep forgetting these things. Must. Check.

[/size]

Dude. If you were here, I would give you a high five AND a fist bump AND an energetic round of applause. Sounds like you crushed it last night. Whether or not to start over is your judgment call. What I hear is that you made a series of very good decisions in a challenging situation. If it were me, I'd really focus on that, and let myself fully acknowledge the benefits of having managed a tough situation with grace. And then I'd move right on into the next day in the sequence. Go Christine go!

My thoughts exactly! I would not start over! You did a great job Christine!

Question: what do you all do to maximize efficiency in the kitchen?

I'm getting a bit chopped-out. I don't have a real food processor, so step#1 might be to obtain one. And a stick blender while I'm at it.

I do have a vitamix, kitchenaid mixer, and a crockpot. And a mini food processor that, frankly, takes longer to clean than just using a knife.

Thinking long term here... I'm busy and lazy, and if I am to sustain this level of cooking, I need to automate myself. Please share your kitchen ninja secrets!

Remember that the Vitamix can dry chop and wet chop items. I use it for anything that needs a puree like the food processor - my husband makes his chili this way since my family are afraid of most vegetables. Honestly, I just have a really good chef's knife (it came with my husband and I love it ;)) and a giant bamboo cutting board. Don't forget that you can substitute frozen vegetables for fresh a lot of the time. I met someone at a meet up with the Paleo Parents who said she takes bags of frozen cauliflower or broccoli and puts it right onto a roasting tray (with some fat/seasoning) and roasts it in the oven! All those times I slaved away with a head of cauliflower when I could just get a bag of florets?? However, I get whole chickens from my farmer (cheaper) and have practiced enough to be pretty good at breaking them down. Breasts go into some sort of saucy dish (like tonights coconut curry, or Everyday Paleo's Rockin Moroccan Chicken), the legs/thighs get browned skin down in a cast iron before flipping and putting in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes, and I throw the rest into a crock pot for overnight stock. I do use my food processor (cuisinart 7 cup I think) for shredding or smaller-batch processing things that won't work so well in the Vitamix (sauerkraut, Eat Like a Dinosaur's Halupki Casserole, a beet recipe for folks with gallbladder issues). I have a Kitchenaid but it mostly sits under the sink and doesn't get used these days. I've been making stuff for the kids from Elana's Pantry and she likes to use a hand blender a lot so I've been using one of those. My grandma got me one for $10 at Big Lots I think.

I will also echo what Nila said about parchment paper and foil.

Also, if y'all haven't seen this video yet, you need to. Gordon Ramsay's scrambled eggs. I make them this way now (minus the creme fraische) and they are DIVINE:

I use ghee instead of the butter obviously. I have used olive oil (because it doesn't get hot enough to be bad) but I like the ghee better!

@torena: I watched that video; such an interesting way to prepare scrambled eggs! I may give it a shot this weekend. The only thing is... he mentioned not overcooking them. I actually LIKE my eggs to be browned; that way, I know the baby chicks in them are dead.

After cooking several things on Sunday, I didn't have to cook at all Monday or Tuesday... the longest I've gone without cooking since I started the Whole 30.

Tonight, I ate leftovers for dinner, but did cook some things for dinner tomorrow & lunch on Thurs & Fri:

• Ras-al-hanout seasoning blend (Well Fed)
  • creamy spice market kale (Well Fed)
  • Sunshine sauce (Well Fed) <-- to go with pad thai recipe... or maybe just on some baked chicken, as this sauce is DELICIOUS!
  • Tuna salad with avocado, jalapenos, onion, and cranberries (from mod Tom's website. Made a triple batch of this goodness!)
  • 11 boiled eggs

Since my husband ate the chicken I'd cooked & shredded for the pad thai dish, he's gonna cook chicken tomorrow & chop it up. I'll use it in the pad thai recipe Friday, along with trying zucchini noodles (which means a trip to store for zucchini) since I already ate most of the roasted spaghetti squash noodles.

I wish I had done like someone said earlier and put the Well Fed pages in protective sleeves. That book is definitely getting splashed. So far, I've tried many recipes from the book and really liked all of them (except jicama home fries). There are still many more that I look forward to making.

Side note: Torena, you have me looking at Eat Like a Dinosaur. I added it to my baby's Amazon wish list so I don't forget to get it when she gets old enough to help in the kitchen.

I don't remember how much I paid for it, but I will say I've had the same container of Natural Calm since... June 2012 I think. I only take it when I have headaches and it's only halfway gone.

just bought Natural Calm today...it rocks and got my system going. ;) Hooray!!! P.S. it was $23.00

I don't know what was wrong with me, but day 22 was my toughest so far. I really wanted a treat. I don't know what I wanted, but I wanted something I wasn't supposed to have. It was really tough, but I stayed compliant through the day and ended up making that pumpkin spice latte that someone had suggested on here. That fixed my craving for whatever it was I was craving! I think my main problem was I was overly tired and was just trying to make it through my night at work. Anyways, now I'm back on track again and feeling good!

• Sunshine sauce (Well Fed) <-- to go with pad thai recipe... or maybe just on some baked chicken, as this sauce is DELICIOUS!

I can't find the Sunbutter and all the sunflower seed butters at my local stores have added sugar :( I want to try it for my kids since it is healthier than pb and they don't like almond butter. Plus at school if there is a peanut allergy they can't have pb so it will be a good alternative. Sigh.

You are so awesome with all your cooking woman! I was lazy this week and we have been eating really simple stuff. Working out okay but I need to do some serious cooking this weekend.

I had the cashew cookie Larabar. Now I understand why some of you love these things! I am so excited for my kids though. They will be great to have in my purse for all of us as an emergency snack.

Last night I did good at work which made me happy.

Thinking of ditching coffee soon. I love the taste of coffee though. My friend suggested I buy Starbucks decaf espresso as it tastes like real coffee without the caffeine.

Remember that the Vitamix can dry chop and wet chop items. I use it for anything that needs a puree like the food processor - my husband makes his chili this way since my family are afraid of most vegetables.

I desperately want a Vitamix. Someday. Sigh.

I was not planning on weighing myself but I had to go in for my physical and that was that. At the doctor they had me losing 15 pounds. I was like there is 'no way.' I have a hard time losing weight and figured I would be happy with 2-4 pounds for the month. Plus I am eating very healthy but still eating too many calories to really lose (I am 5 feet tall). I was elated. I knew there was no way I really lost 15 pounds so I can home and weighed myself on my own scale to see what it read and it was the same exact weight at Jan 1st! Oh well. I don't plan to weigh again until mid-February. My goal was to deal with my blood sugar issues and learn to get back to eating 'real food' anyway. But dang that was a disappointment.

After cooking several things on Sunday, I didn't have to cook at all Monday or Tuesday... the longest I've gone without cooking since I started the Whole 30.

Tonight, I ate leftovers for dinner, but did cook some things for dinner tomorrow & lunch on Thurs & Fri:

• Ras-al-hanout seasoning blend (Well Fed)
  • creamy spice market kale (Well Fed)
  • Tuna salad with avocado, jalapenos, onion, and cranberries (from mod Tom's website. Made a triple batch of this goodness!)
  • 11 boiled eggs

Since my husband ate the chicken I'd cooked & shredded for the pad thai dish, he's gonna cook chicken tomorrow & chop it up. I'll use it in the pad thai recipe Friday, along with trying zucchini noodles (which means a trip to store for zucchini) since I already ate most of the roasted spaghetti squash noodles.

I wish I had done like someone said earlier and put the Well Fed pages in protective sleeves. That book is definitely getting splashed. So far, I've tried many recipes from the book and really liked all of them (except jicama home fries). There are still many more that I look forward to making.

Side note: Torena, you have me looking at Eat Like a Dinosaur. I added it to my baby's Amazon wish list so I don't forget to get it when she gets old enough to help in the kitchen.

Also check out Paleo Pals. It's a little bit older. I bought both books when ELaD came out and my daughter is just now (at 5 1/2) getting into it.

I don't know what was wrong with me, but day 22 was my toughest so far. I really wanted a treat. I don't know what I wanted, but I wanted something I wasn't supposed to have. It was really tough, but I stayed compliant through the day and ended up making that pumpkin spice latte that someone had suggested on here. That fixed my craving for whatever it was I was craving! I think my main problem was I was overly tired and was just trying to make it through my night at work. Anyways, now I'm back on track again and feeling good!

Good job staying on plan! There's a lot, psychologically, that goes on for me with this. I know after the kids go to bed that I really REALLY want a snack while I sit at my computer. I made an evening to do list that included going to bed with them, even if I watch a show for an hour in bed just to avoid that snack craving. Last night I had a package of SeaSnax and a couple of tastes of dinner while I cleaned up and put it away.

I can't find the Sunbutter and all the sunflower seed butters at my local stores have added sugar :( I want to try it for my kids since it is healthier than pb and they don't like almond butter. Plus at school if there is a peanut allergy they can't have pb so it will be a good alternative. Sigh.

You are so awesome with all your cooking woman! I was lazy this week and we have been eating really simple stuff. Working out okay but I need to do some serious cooking this weekend.

Don't forget about the awesomeness that is Amazon! Check out their Subscribe and Save option, you usually get a discount (anywhere from 5 to 20%) plus free shipping. And any order over $25 ships for free (as long as it is fulfilled by Amazon). Many of the items I used to do S&S with aren't available anymore. We're tightening down our budget to get some projects done on the house this year so I need to reevaluate what their prices are versus Wegman's or the local health food store.

I desperately want a Vitamix. Someday. Sigh.

I never thought I could afford it, but they allow a 3 month payment plan. I had joined a yahoo group (VitamixEnthusiasts) and the woman that runs it does shows down in Florida. She helped me figure out how to get a good deal. I got one refurbished which has 3 years less of a warranty (5 instead of 8) but it's a full warranty, and after the 5 years is up you can pay around $100 to get completely new guts again. I felt that if I get 5 years out of it before spending another $100, that it's a good deal. QVC or HSN had them on last night, brand new, for $399 with a 5 month payment plan and free shipping. With mine I got free spatulas (which are great trying to get that last bits from next to those blades, my silicone would surely get stuck) and plastic cutting boards (which fold to slide into the carafe). I make smoothie popsicles for my son (banana, blueberries, cocoa powder, dates, coconut water, homemade milk kefir, spinach, pepitas), my husband makes his chili sauce with it. I haven't done a lot of chopping with it but it's on my list to learn.

I was not planning on weighing myself but I had to go in for my physical and that was that. At the doctor they had me losing 15 pounds. I was like there is 'no way.' I have a hard time losing weight and figured I would be happy with 2-4 pounds for the month. Plus I am eating very healthy but still eating too many calories to really lose (I am 5 feet tall). I was elated. I knew there was no way I really lost 15 pounds so I can home and weighed myself on my own scale to see what it read and it was the same exact weight at Jan 1st! Oh well. I don't plan to weigh again until mid-February. My goal was to deal with my blood sugar issues and learn to get back to eating 'real food' anyway. But dang that was a disappointment.

Aw, dang! I am trying hard to not think about the weight because, ultimately, there are bigger fish to fry right? Doesn't mean it isn't important to me though and I'm trying hard to admit that to myself!

Also check out Paleo Pals. It's a little bit older. I bought both books when ELaD came out and my daughter is just now (at 5 1/2) getting into it.

Good job staying on plan! There's a lot, psychologically, that goes on for me with this. I know after the kids go to bed that I really REALLY want a snack while I sit at my computer. I made an evening to do list that included going to bed with them, even if I watch a show for an hour in bed just to avoid that snack craving. Last night I had a package of SeaSnax and a couple of tastes of dinner while I cleaned up and put it away.

Don't forget about the awesomeness that is Amazon! Check out their Subscribe and Save option, you usually get a discount (anywhere from 5 to 20%) plus free shipping. And any order over $25 ships for free (as long as it is fulfilled by Amazon). Many of the items I used to do S&S with aren't available anymore. We're tightening down our budget to get some projects done on the house this year so I need to reevaluate what their prices are versus Wegman's or the local health food store.

I never thought I could afford it, but they allow a 3 month payment plan. I had joined a yahoo group (VitamixEnthusiasts) and the woman that runs it does shows down in Florida. She helped me figure out how to get a good deal. I got one refurbished which has 3 years less of a warranty (5 instead of 8) but it's a full warranty, and after the 5 years is up you can pay around $100 to get completely new guts again. I felt that if I get 5 years out of it before spending another $100, that it's a good deal. QVC or HSN had them on last night, brand new, for $399 with a 5 month payment plan and free shipping. With mine I got free spatulas (which are great trying to get that last bits from next to those blades, my silicone would surely get stuck) and plastic cutting boards (which fold to slide into the carafe). I make smoothie popsicles for my son (banana, blueberries, cocoa powder, dates, coconut water, homemade milk kefir, spinach, pepitas), my husband makes his chili sauce with it. I haven't done a lot of chopping with it but it's on my list to learn.

I was looking at the refurbished ones a few months back on the Vitamix website. They are a good deal. I just bought a new blender that is better than the old one we had (it has a reversible blade) and it was $55. I am going to wait a little while longer for the Vitamix although if I had known about payment plans.....man...that is cool. I want one because my oldest daughter who is 6 is not a good veggie eater. She has a texture thing with food. I was making her green smoothies but in one some of the berries seeds were in it and now she won't try them anymore. She was at one point eating a cup+ of kale in her smoothie. Does the Vitamix totally pulverize such things? If so it is worth it for me. I can regift the other blender to my mom probably and feel guiltfree about it :)

Aw, dang! I am trying hard to not think about the weight because, ultimately, there are bigger fish to fry right? Doesn't mean it isn't important to me though and I'm trying hard to admit that to myself!

I know me too. I actually told her not to tell me my weight but she couldn't read the scale and it just turned out ridiculous. I know I have lost a few pounds though. I had on shoes and a sweater when I weighed yesterday in afternoon (and my afternoon weight is higher). I really lose weight slowly though so if I lose 2-4 pounds I will be psyched and I am not counting that out yet. Oh, and I have to tell you I finally understand your Larabar thing. I had a really good one last night at work :)

THAT IS WHY WE TELL YOU NOT TO WEIGH! Your self worth should not be determined by a number on a metal box!!

Feeling better? Have more energy? Blood sugar under control? THOSE are the measures you should be using!!

We bought some bulk sunflower seeds last week, roasted and salted. Just put in the food processor with a few drizzles of coconut oil and it was amazing! I am addicted now! I think buying them roasted and salted made all the difference.

I had the cashew cookie Larabar. Now I understand why some of you love these things! I am so excited for my kids though. They will be great to have in my purse for all of us as an emergency snack.

Last night I did good at work which made me happy.

Thinking of ditching coffee soon. I love the taste of coffee though. My friend suggested I buy Starbucks decaf espresso as it tastes like real coffee without the caffeine.

Yes! Larabars are great! My daughter is not a big meat eater and she loves them in her lunch with some cut veggies and fruit. I like to use them at work when I don't get to take a break and need something fast to eat.

Work is always a challenge. Especially when you work 12-14 hours a day. Yesterday it was free pizza at lunch and then donuts and candy at an 8pm meeting. Who eats donuts at 8pm? :rolleyes: They seem to think we need food rewards for doing what they want. And when things get stressful it's like "oh your having a crazy day, here have some sugar, just don't quit!" Then they get offended if you don't eat. I just try to to stay busy. I use to stay busy to avoid the food and the temptation. Now I don't even want it so I stay busy to avoid the judgment of not participating. I think someone is catching on though because my boss made a point to bring apples to the meeting last night. I was also excited to find out our gift shop sells nuts with nothing in the ingredient list but nuts and coconut oil. $12 a bag but if I can eat just a few it will last awhile and be a good staple in my locker.

I am also thinking of ditching coffee. I used to love it but not so much now. I know that I used to put way to much sweetener in it - 4 packets! Eek! that would be so gross now. :blink: But its almost like I don't get the same buzz from it anymore. It's got to be something to do with the sugar. I don't really need the caffeine to wake up anymore so without the sugar buzz it's just not so exciting. I did make some rooibos chai tea the other night with coconut cream and cinnamon - Oh my goodness it was delish. My tastes buds are absolutely changing.

I'll have to look into those vitamix things. I never really considered one because of the price tag but it sounds like it might be helpful. I like the popsicle idea. We have a Yonanas and use it to make ice cream from frozen fruit. My kids would probably it popsicles better. I'll do anything to get more whole food in their diet, I have to be pretty sneaky with my son :ph34r: .

They seem to think we need food rewards for doing what they want. And when things get stressful it's like "oh your having a crazy day, here have some sugar, just don't quit!" Then they get offended if you don't eat. I just try to to stay busy. I use to stay busy to avoid the food and the temptation. Now I don't even want it so I stay busy to avoid the judgment of not participating. I think someone is catching on though because my boss made a point to bring apples to the meeting last night. I was also excited to find out our gift shop sells nuts with nothing in the ingredient list but nuts and coconut oil. $12 a bag but if I can eat just a few it will last awhile and be a good staple in my locker.

I am also thinking of ditching coffee. I used to love it but not so much now. I know that I used to put way to much sweetener in it - 4 packets! Eek! that would be so gross now. :blink: But its almost like I don't get the same buzz from it anymore. It's got to be something to do with the sugar. I don't really need the caffeine to wake up anymore so without the sugar buzz it's just not so exciting. I did make some rooibos chai tea the other night with coconut cream and cinnamon - Oh my goodness it was delish. My tastes buds are absolutely changing...

That whole "here, you're feeling [sad/bored/restless/upset], have some sugar" has basically been my own "self-care" mechanism for the past several years. It remains my primary food challenge to learn how to "parent" myself without bringing food into the equation.

Love the thought about taste buds changing. I'm glad you're experiencing that. It's easier to pick up on subtle flavors when we stop bombing ourselves with endless amounts of sugar, salt and artificial flavors from lab-manufactured food. An apple has never tasted as incredibly sweet to me as it has this month. And heck, they're not even in season!

Work is always a challenge. Especially when you work 12-14 hours a day. Yesterday it was free pizza at lunch and then donuts and candy at an 8pm meeting. Who eats donuts at 8pm? :rolleyes: They seem to think we need food rewards for doing what they want. And when things get stressful it's like "oh your having a crazy day, here have some sugar, just don't quit!" Then they get offended if you don't eat. I just try to to stay busy. I use to stay busy to avoid the food and the temptation. Now I don't even want it so I stay busy to avoid the judgment of not participating. I think someone is catching on though because my boss made a point to bring apples to the meeting last night. I was also excited to find out our gift shop sells nuts with nothing in the ingredient list but nuts and coconut oil. $12 a bag but if I can eat just a few it will last awhile and be a good staple in my locker.

I really floors me how so much of the medical industry is so unhealthy. My cousin is a doctor and he literally eats crap. He drinks at least 6 diet cokes a day and will have Doritos for lunch. My very good friend is an ER nurse and she eats crap. Plus she is now trying to lose weight so got one of the docs to prescribe her some type of appetite suppressant which is so bad for you in the long run. I think the sugar and high stress thing is so true! Plus those treats are cheaper :)

I pretty much drink my coffee black. This is why the Whole30 has been different for me. I need to slay my salt dragon next. I switched to sea salt (harder to shake) and I have been measuring it out for the day even because I like salt. So far this makes me more aware for sure.

[/size]

That whole "here, you're feeling [sad/bored/restless/upset], have some sugar" has basically been my own "self-care" mechanism for the past several years. It remains my primary food challenge to learn how to "parent" myself without bringing food into the equation.

Love the thought about taste buds changing. I'm glad you're experiencing that. It's easier to pick up on subtle flavors when we stop bombing ourselves with endless amounts of sugar, salt and artificial flavors from lab-manufactured food. An apple has never tasted as incredibly sweet to me as it has this month. And heck, they're not even in season!

SO very true . . . I have been working on the food rewards for a long time and it is finally getting easier. Just keep working, it will get better. For me, it really got better when I would give in and then feel really crappy. And yes, fruit is so very sweet now!! I had no idea. I ate a sweet potato at work the other day and could not believe how sweet it was, almost like dessert.

I was looking at the refurbished ones a few months back on the Vitamix website. They are a good deal. I just bought a new blender that is better than the old one we had (it has a reversible blade) and it was $55. I am going to wait a little while longer for the Vitamix although if I had known about payment plans.....man...that is cool. I want one because my oldest daughter who is 6 is not a good veggie eater. She has a texture thing with food. I was making her green smoothies but in one some of the berries seeds were in it and now she won't try them anymore. She was at one point eating a cup+ of kale in her smoothie. Does the Vitamix totally pulverize such things? If so it is worth it for me. I can regift the other blender to my mom probably and feel guiltfree about it :)

Yeah, it completely breaks them down and that's what I wanted. I had used an Oster blender and later a Cuisinart blender and there were still chunks. I remember adding kale and there were bits of leaf/texture left. You cannot tell with the Vitamix. I have added *flax seeds* and they break down!

I had a bite of a Granny Smith apple with some almond butter from my son's plate at breakfast and it was SO SWEET! I was expecting lots of tart but it was super sweet.

Archived