CANADA- compliant beef/turkey/chicken meats

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, jetasab said:

Hi. I'm in Vancouver and need help to find compliant non-pork meats. Chicken/Turkey/Beef only please. 

Looking for easy to cook sausages, hot dogs, bacon, whatever. Please help!! 

You'll need to go to your grocery store and start reading ingredients... I live in Vancouver and I know we don't have many of the brands that people normally buy for sausages/hotdogs etc... Depending on your budget, you could go to Whole Foods (altho their sausages used to be compliant and then they started adding canola oil to them so that's out).  Honestly, it's just as 'easy' to roast a chicken as it is to cook a sausage so even if you don't have luck finding compliant deli items, you're not too stuck.

• Administrators

Hi @jetasab - I'm from the lower mainland also. If you have a Thrifty's, Safeway or Sobey's near you, the Jamie Oliver sausages are compliant but I can't recall if they are pork based or not. 

The thing with the "easy to cook" stuff is that it's not any harder to cook non-processed meats. Chicken burgers, turkey burgers, hamburgers just require forming into patties. Chicken thighs on a sheet pan and into the oven is dead easy.

Thanks ladies. I know I'm just being lazy. One baby and one crazy toddler at home and feeling overwhelmed. Trying to think of things I can just toss in the oven or cook on the stove without any prep. Can't eat eggs all day long :( I guess I can do canned tuna? Looking for quick and easy protein sources for at least 2 meals a day (I'm exclusively breastfeeding so expect to eat 4-5 meals per day) 

It takes maybe 30 seconds more to cook a tray of chicken thighs or breasts in the oven than it does a package of sausages, though...open package, season (that's the step sausages don't have), put on tray, roast. And then you can have a whole bunch of protein cooked and ready to go.

I went to Sobeys today to look for the Jamie Oliver sausages and bought 2 packages. They are sundried tomato and roasted onion. The. ingredients  do list sunflower oil, (from the sundried tomatoes), and "spices". I know sunflower oil is not allowed, and "spices ", always makes me nervous.

does it still seem that they are compliant?

Archived