Round Two of Whole30 starting August 4th. Anyone with me??

Hope4Overcomers

Bad news: I already caved and weighed myself

mod edit to remove scale discussion - choosing to break the rules is up to you but we don't host those discussions.

This not weighing thing is going to be hard.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone.  Hope you don't mind me jumping in.  I have been on and off Whole30 for a while as means to control stress, anxiety and bad eating habits.  On the latter, I am 70% a healthy eater, cook all my meals but the other 30% is binging under stress and eating way too much sugar, my drug of choice!  I am still battling for total food freedom but have absolutely made progress with the guard rails that W30 provides.  I would like company as I try to use all my lessons learned to keep improving and finding the right balance.  My lessons learned thus far are not substituting plates of fruit for sugar or overdoing the sweet potato and carb-heavy veg to compensate.  And keeping my beak out of the nuts as they really upset my stomach.  One thing to say, another thing to do.  

Anyway, wishing you all a great start and day!

Greetings All!  I’m off to the grocery store. Can’t wait to get to Trader Joe’s as they have great Whole30 compliant foods. 

Im helping my 90 year old healthy mother today so little to no time to post. I’ll be able to jump on and get caught up with you all tomorrow.

Just want to say I am beyond thrilled with the group we are forming and growing to be and the outstanding content!

A huge welcome and yayyyy to everyone here and joining us!

We’re really rocking and rolling and doing this thing! Yayyy group! You’re awesome!

Be encouraged!

Dianne

@wp3 I read your post from your original thread... Wow, you have quite a journey ahead! I wish you the very, very best!

May I offer one recommendation, based off of personal experience? Ditch the scale. Truly.

Like you, I cheated and weighed myself during my first Whole30. Like you, I saw immediate weight loss. And I convinced myself that it wasn't changing the way I was eating. That I was just as committed to following the rules, recommendations, and meal template. 

But, truth be told, I did change the way I ate. I loved seeing the weight go down, so what big deal was it if I just skipped the fat portion of a meal here or there? I truly believe that my reluctance to eat fat (because I wanted to lose weight and because I loved seeing that number go down) prevented me from seeing some of the other NSVs I really and truly hoped to see. Maybe this won't be an issue for you, but it certainly was for me, even though I would have never admitted it at the time. 

Fat is such an integral part of the program. Becoming fat adapted will help you manager hunger and satiety and it will help you get energy! I see that energy is a big goal for you, so I strongly encourage you to trust in the program, follow the rules (including the one about not weighing yourself) and see how it goes for 30 days. Perhaps when you extend your program, you can add it back in but maybe try without it for 30 days. And don't avoid the fat because it's good for you! 

Anyway, I hope this doesn't come off as rude or judge-y! I wish you the absolute best! 

@Elizabeth33 Thank you so much for those links about eating Whole30 in the wilderness. That was super kind and thoughtful! 

Good news though! I removed any excuse to not eat Whole30 in the backcountry by purchasing a dehydrator. So, I'm just going to make my own Whole30-compliant backpacking meals and take those with me. I have plenty ideas for snacks, so that should be fine. I just didn't know how to make my three main meals work (when I'm camping, it's not a problem because I just cook a slightly simplified version of what I make at home; but when backpacking, without refrigeration and with weight being of concern, I just couldn't figure it out). But now I have! Yay!

So thank you again! But I'm more committed than ever now that I've figured out a way around that hurdle. 

Hi ladies! I started on August 1st. The first couple days were rough, but I’m on day 4 and feeling much better. I prepped a large amount of shredded chicken and have eaten so much of it in lettuce wraps, either with buffalo or the curry chicken salad in the fast & easy book. I’m trying to always keep my fridge stocked with options so that I don’t feel tempted to give up. So glad to have other people going through this at the same time! 

Hey @kirbz,

I appreciate the insight. That is why I am here, to get input from people with more experience, so it didn't come across in any kind of negative way at all. 

I know I need to try and avoid the scale. Usually that's not a problem but now that I am so hard core about this diet I know I will lose weight so I'm excited and it's proving to be quite the temptation now. Maybe I will limit it to once a month for now and eventually wean myself off it. Time will tell.

I am quite interested in your plans to dehydrate your food. I hope you update us on how that goes. I want to get into hiking when I rebuild my energy levels and lose a bunch of weight. So I look forward to finding out how that goes for you. I actually bought a dehydrator a long time ago but am embarrassed to say I never used it. I am thinking it would be cool to make some paleo jerky in it.

@kirbz you are so welcome and glad you were able to figure it out. 

@Hope4Overcomers I am so glad I am doing this with you. Your last one I was joining and then found an excuse not to. I so love your enthusiasm and help. 

@Meg1130, @Sparoblu@hmg1993, and all the others welcome to the group, glad you’re on this journey with us. 

Hello Diane and group, This is my first time on the official Whole30. I just finished my Day 1, and would like to join in your support group. A few months ago I had the IGg food sensitivity test done, and I am intolerant to all the things that Whole30 eliminates, plus eggs and a few other foods. I have spent that time trying to eliminate everything, but have had a hard time getting past the 10-14 days. So I am hoping for support and advice. I can get past the first few days of physical cravings, but then the mental triggers kick in and my resolve slips. Making it past those barriers would be huge. Thanks.

@kirbz you are so welcome and glad you were able to figure it out. 

@Hope4Overcomers I am so glad I am doing this with you. Your last one I was joining and then found an excuse not to. I so love your enthusiasm and help. 

@Meg1130, @Sparoblu@hmg1993, and all the others welcome to the group, glad you’re on this journey with us. 

hope everyones day went great. I re-evaluated my food today. Originally I was going to finish off my whole 30 compliant foods but then really thought about it. If I have an issue with garlic, onions, etc then finishing off the items I have would not be compliant for me. I made the No Fuss Salmon Cakes and did have the tarter sauce in the whole 30 cook book so I am going to restart day 1 again tomorrow. 

I just went through my fridge and cupboards again and removed all items that would be a problem for me. My neighbor raked it in. I will need to make my pickles now if I want them. So sad that Kroger stopped making their no garlic pickles. 

Have a great rest of your night and see you in the am. :wub:

For those struggling to escape the scale, evict it from your house, have a friend hold it at their house until your Whole30 is over or get them to put it in their car boot. A large part of the temptation is that it's there in your house.

If you're struggling with too much cooking time, check out the Hot Plates listed here, it's the least prep and still tasty meals, perfect for week nights or to pad out your menu plans for the week.

http://meljoulwan.com/2013/07/27/whole30-week-1-food-plan/ (scroll down to Hot Plates)

I'll be finishing up the last of my two roast chickens https://nomnompaleo.com/post/26079656034/julia-childs-classic-roast-chicken

so I'll soon be able to use the bones to make tasty chicken bone broth, which I use to make this fantastic soup

http://meljoulwan.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/

I am starting for my first time. Plan to spend all day today getting ready and prepping my protein and veggies for the week ! I am a newbie so will be on the forum a lot! In September I turn 60 so I’d like to get my act together for this part of my life once and for all.

7 hours ago, praxisproject said:

For those struggling to escape the scale, evict it from your house, have a friend hold it at their house until your Whole30 is over or get them to put it in their car boot. A large part of the temptation is that it's there in your house.

If you're struggling with too much cooking time, check out the Hot Plates listed here, it's the least prep and still tasty meals, perfect for week nights or to pad out your menu plans for the week.

http://meljoulwan.com/2013/07/27/whole30-week-1-food-plan/ (scroll down to Hot Plates)

I'll be finishing up the last of my two roast chickens https://nomnompaleo.com/post/26079656034/julia-childs-classic-roast-chicken

so I'll soon be able to use the bones to make tasty chicken bone broth, which I use to make this fantastic soup

http://meljoulwan.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/

These are great thank you 

On 8/1/2018 at 11:51 PM, praxisproject said:

Sneaking in your group although I'm Post-W30 I'll only post compliant stuff in here.

Rebooting my Food Freedom habits, started 1st of August. I find Post-W30 a little harder than W30 (silly I know). I've done so many rounds over the years I don't count them anymore.

I owe all of my successful rounds to the yummy Whole30 recipes of Mel Joulwan (which are also sometimes funny), here's one of her awesome posts with loads of resources: 

http://meljoulwan.com/2017/01/02/whole30-resources-mega-post/

Looking forward to dinner tonight, roast chicken! (bulk cooking tip -> two chickens at once!)

https://nomnompaleo.com/post/26079656034/julia-childs-classic-roast-chicken

I came across Mel Joulwan’s book Well Fed in a used book store. I bought it because I liked the layout and was totally surprised to find it based on Whole30/paleo lifestyle. What a treasure. Her Sunday cook ups with quantities for being well prepared for the week made my first Whole30 not only doable but actually fun.  Keeping a good range of options always at the ready, made weekday meals quick, easy and fantastic.  

Yesterday, Day 1 was a disaster for me. Had an all-day board meeting for which I was nutritionally unprepared. The foods they provided were like a child’s birthday party. Bagels, cake, chips and candy, “seriously”? It was bad. I’m erasing that day. Today is day 1 for me.  

Felt like my legs had only 85% strength today at work. Later after I ate I felt more energized. Swung back and forth between energy and fatigue. I think my body is confused right now! Hair loss is improving a little. Face is looking a little healthier.

Greetings Comrades!!

I so wish I could respond right now to each of you individually because you are all near and dear to my heart. But I can’t. We’re having a very rough time with a family members health and it’s been a time consumer.

Foremost, I would love to welcome each and every new comer to our group that I’ve not gotten to reply to personally. Each and every one of us, no matter where we are on our journey, is vital to this group. Welcome one and all!

Second, I apologize to anyone that’s tagged me and I’ve not yet responded. Simply haven’t been able to get to it all but it’s all important to me. Really.

Third, a praise report. Even though I’ve been experiencing a family challenge I am Whole30 compliant. Yayyy me! Not as perfect of meals as I’d prefer but none the less on target on the Whole30 program and lifestyle. Let me tell you, that feels good!!

I trust everyone will keep right up with your outstanding posting! It’s such an encouragement to me!

Please do indeed be encouraged as I said, you so encourage me!

Each and everyone of you rock and I feel so blessed to be a member of this awesome, awsome, group!

Your Fan,

Dianne

@Hope4Overcomers I so understand family and it is amazing that you are being able to stay compliant. Hats off to you. It is the end of day 1 for me. It was a tough one for me. This was different from other ones I have done. Usually the second day is when I get these issue but they came early, fatigue, not feeling great, slight headache, some ingestion and gas. I am not sure if it was a bad reaction to crio bru. My gastritis seems to have started up the day before so eating has been hard. I am nauseas and don't want to eat but then I eat and feel a little better and then it goes back. I am going to have to make sure I have more food with me than I did today. I will need to eat more smaller meals until the gastritis settles down.  See you'll in the morning.

Greetings All!!

@Elizabeth33 you are so sweet, kind, and encouraging. Thank you! Truly.

I “get” everything you were talking about and sharing about your Day 1. Today is my Day 3 and I am having many of the same symptoms as you shared. For me, the headache and hungry yet at the same time lack of appetite has been the worst. I’m having some trouble with focusing too, as well as gastritis.

All I can say is we’ll get through this together (with God). We are greater as a group than each on our own! There is probably a more eloquent way to say that but it’s my best for now! :rolleyes:

Thanks again for your support. Great action plan! The best is yet to come!!!

You too, and everyone else, be encouraged! We got this!!!

Dianne

Archived