How good is this Real Plans app?

I know it is the "official" Whole30 app and all that, but two things concern me.  First, they require payment before they even let you scope out it's capabilities.  Second (and a reult of my first concern?) the ratings at the Google Play store are not stellar at 2.9 out of 5.  While it would be nice to have an app that more or less lays out what you can and cannot have, I am reluctant to spend $20 on an app that may or may not be useful to me, sight unseen.

Anyone have any input to this?

• Moderators

I haven't used Real Plans at all, but their website does have a 14-day free trial. I'm sure it's one that you put in a credit card and have to remember to cancel before you get charged for it, but at least you could look at it. 

1 hour ago, ShannonM816 said:

I haven't used Real Plans at all, but their website does have a 14-day free trial. I'm sure it's one that you put in a credit card and have to remember to cancel before you get charged for it, but at least you could look at it. 

Oddly, the Android app on Google itself is a flat $19.99 a month versus $30 the first month, 15 thereafter lol

What do you and others use, or is it more just track as you go?  I haven't read all of the site content yet but thus far, I haven't seen much other than what NOT to eat (which is cool) but I am thinking that "tracking" your intake (like weighing yourself) is generally not done...is this the case?

• Moderators

Real Plans is more meal planning than tracking. I've tried a site/app called Pepper Plate, which does some of the same stuff Real Plans does as far as letting you make a grocery list and plan meals, but you have to import your own recipes, it doesn't have a database of them to choose from. It was okay, but I'm only cooking for me, and found it easier to mostly just cook a few protein options, make a sauce or two, and chop a bunch of vegetables on Sunday, then I just combine proteins, sauces, and vegetables throughout the week for each meal. (Kind of like this: http://meljoulwan.com/2010/01/14/paleo-kitchen-the-method-behind-my-madness/)

For tracking, some people keep a log here on the forum, some keep a document on their computer, or a paper log, or some use Instagram as a visual log. We don't really recommend tracking macros and calories, but a log can be helpful for tracking symptoms or just as a reminder of which meals you really liked, or for troubleshooting if you have issues with hunger or tiredness. You don't have to keep any kind of log, though, that's totally up to you.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Steve in Idaho said:

I know it is the "official" Whole30 app and all that, but two things concern me.  First, they require payment before they even let you scope out it's capabilities.  Second (and a reult of my first concern?) the ratings at the Google Play store are not stellar at 2.9 out of 5.  While it would be nice to have an app that more or less lays out what you can and cannot have, I am reluctant to spend $20 on an app that may or may not be useful to me, sight unseen.

Anyone have any input to this?

Just a note that Real Plans is actually a company in itself that we've partnered with and they have a Whole30 option for meals.  It's not an official Whole30 app and it doesn't have the rules and recommendations or any other Whole30 support attached to it - it's only a meal planning app.

14 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Just a note that Real Plans is actually a company in itself that we've partnered with and they have a Whole30 option for meals.  It's not an official Whole30 app and it doesn't have the rules and recommendations or any other Whole30 support attached to it - it's only a meal planning app.

Thanks for clearing that up :)

I stumbled across Copy Me That during my W30, and have loved it... it's a recipe keeper that lets you copy directly from a website (there's a little browser button) and then edit the recipe however you want before it's "confirmed" as a saved entry, and it also includes a planner section, shopping list (never used that part, but it's there), etc. What I love about it is how easy it is to customize any recipe to however I'm personally wanting it to be, while still linking back to the original so I can always give the "unedited" version to someone else. It's also free to use, with a paid premium version that is totally not necessary but does add some extra features.

Although I was keeping a spreadsheet log of my meals (tracking in general but without full-out weights and measures), I also was able to use my meal plan in Copy Me That as a back-up to remind me of what I'd eaten on which day (and I was taking pictures of most meals, so I could see and remember each plate, which made it easy to visually size up any differences in how much I was eating since I always used the same plate -- kind of a plate/bowl sort of deal).

I realize none of that gives anything useful related to Real Plans or anything else that "takes the effort out of planning", but I have to say that even without W30 compliance to consider, I'd much rather just have a box of recipes that I can pull from instead of having to skip any planner-app recipes that I know beyond doubt won't work for me or my family. :) 

I haven't tracked a single thing on my W30s beyond keeping a log here of my general experiences and thoughts. I'm a WWsurvivor of many decades and I am just over tracking. Here's been my W30 approach:

If I am hungry, I eat things from the W30 template. Then I stop. 

I also haven't planned ahead other than having enough compliant foods on hand all the time so, when I get hungry, I can eat from the W30 template.

That's it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am using www.PlateJoy.com (they have an app too).  It has been a big help because the overwhelming thing for me is to actually find compliant recipes.  They give you a free 10 day trial, and then it is $60 for 6 months.  

Archived