SchrodingersCat's Round 2 diary - starting 12 May 2019

10 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Ok so lunch was actually fine.

Entree was smoked salmon and purple cauliflower, i avoided the miso mayo dollops and edamame.

Main was a baked chicken breast in clear broth with braised cabbage, i avoided the peas and broad beans.

Was worried dessert would be a temptation because it was chocolate pudding or lemon tart but because i said dairy free, i got a chia pudding with berries and i hate chia and fruit lol. So i was very happy with my black coffee.

You made it through the lunch you were dreading! Fantastic! Now it's all downhill for what, two more days for you? You've got this.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, doubledee said:

You made it through the lunch you were dreading! Fantastic! Now it's all downhill for what, two more days for you? You've got this.

I'm so glad it was easier than i imagined!

3 days to go, including today. They just so happen to be a long weekend, which is good and bad. I wish i was doing reintro over the weekend but cest la vie.

I slept until 11, it was glorious. 

Brunch: Mexican stuffed omelettes - ground beef, onion, capsicum, mushroom and celery cooked in taco seasoning, wrapped in thin omelettes and topped with salsa :)

Day 29!! The real downhill slope. Today I'll food prep for the week as usual, planning legume reintro on Tuesday and, all going well, non-gluten grains on Friday. 

Brunch was lamb chops and turnip hash browns. I'm a really good cook, but man I suck at hash browns. They're my Achilles heel. So it was edible, but meh lol.

Have to grocery shop today, so not sure on dinner, but it better to be good to make up for the sucky hash browns lol.

Still have a little vertigo, but my neck is well and truly out, so I need to go see the Chiro this week. 

Coming to the end of this,I really don't feel like I've gotten as much out of this round as I did round 1. It's a bit of a shame, because I thought I'd really found a cure-all , but I'm better than I was, so I guess that's something. 

Oh, NSV - bought a jumper a while back, which I really liked. Spilled red wine on it, and ruined it. Was in the same store today, and they had the last few on clearance. My original one was an XL but I have lost weight, si I wanted an L. No dice, M only... and it fit!! Really well!!

Ohmygoodness, I made soup.

1 onion, chopped, 3 stalks celery chopped, fried in olive oil until soft. Add 1 litre of compliant chicken stock, 4 bone-in skin on chicken thighs and 3/4 of a cauliflower, chopped. Boil until the chicken is falling apart. Take the chicken out, remove bones and skin, and shred. Puree the cauli-broth with an immersion blender. Add in 3 diced carrots, 2 diced potatoes, a handful of chopped mushrooms, some sage, black pepper, salt, paprika, little bit of cayenne (I also put in some shredded dried black funghi because I love umami), and simmer until the carrots and potatoes are soft, stir back in the shredded chicken.

It's soooo creamy, it's hard to believe there's no actual cream in it. I was going to add in a can of coconut cream but it doesn't need it at all!

It's work lunches for this week and on Tuesday for legume reintro I'm going to put half a cup of peas in my serve. 

I might've done the coconut cream anyway, just to give it extra fat, but it sounds amazing. I may need to copy that down and use it for something in our future (though it's so hot here lately, I'm trying to avoid soups on principle at the moment)... we'll see :D 

I noticed that you're a chiro-gal too, and figured I'd chime in that I've been putting off seeing mine again until my sunburn (on my back) heals well enough for him to not kill me during the adjustment. My atlas loves to go out (not sure if that's what you meant by your neck being out), and that causes severe headaches with sensitivity to light, sound, and sometimes heat (accompanied by all of the wonderful nausea and blah-ness that is so often part of living with headaches)... so I'm looking forward to seeing mine sometime next week, too!

2 minutes ago, Jihanna said:

I might've done the coconut cream anyway, just to give it extra fat, but it sounds amazing. I may need to copy that down and use it for something in our future (though it's so hot here lately, I'm trying to avoid soups on principle at the moment)... we'll see :D 

I noticed that you're a chiro-gal too, and figured I'd chime in that I've been putting off seeing mine again until my sunburn (on my back) heals well enough for him to not kill me during the adjustment. My atlas loves to go out (not sure if that's what you meant by your neck being out), and that causes severe headaches with sensitivity to light, sound, and sometimes heat (accompanied by all of the wonderful nausea and blah-ness that is so often part of living with headaches)... so I'm looking forward to seeing mine sometime next week, too!

Yeah, it's my Atlas that's the problem!! Quite badly at one stage, and I've been slack about getting it taken care of. Plus, I was at a store today (kinda like Best Buy) and the guy serving us knocked a DVD player off the shelf and I caught it, wrenching my shoulder and mid-back in the process. So I REALLY need to go see him.

Mine taught me some tricks (with a pillow to adjust the angle of my neck, when lying on the bed) to try to help get some relief from the pressure and discomfort, but I've never been able to get it done well enough to completely avoid seeing him for more than a week or so. He's a funny guy, too... he laughs a lot, and he's got this big ginger beard, so we call him the Giggling Torturer (well, my husband also refers to him as a leprechaun sometimes)... he loves it, thankfully, because it would really suck to irk the chiro :D

When my atlas is out for long enough, I start walking funny - because the jarring of each step actually hurts the spot behind my ear otherwise, due to how my atlas sits when misaligned. I like to say that it's the most important bone in my body, which may or may not actually be true but man it feels like it is when it goes out!

I hope you get realigned soon and start feeling better! (I'm hoping my back will be good to go by Monday so I can call and get an appointment in for early next week.)

19 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Day 29!! The real downhill slope. Today I'll food prep for the week as usual, planning legume reintro on Tuesday and, all going well, non-gluten grains on Friday. 

Brunch was lamb chops and turnip hash browns. I'm a really good cook, but man I suck at hash browns. They're my Achilles heel. So it was edible, but meh lol.

Have to grocery shop today, so not sure on dinner, but it better to be good to make up for the sucky hash browns lol.

Still have a little vertigo, but my neck is well and truly out, so I need to go see the Chiro this week. 

Coming to the end of this,I really don't feel like I've gotten as much out of this round as I did round 1. It's a bit of a shame, because I thought I'd really found a cure-all , but I'm better than I was, so I guess that's something. 

I don't feel as though I'm having as dramatic an experience with this second Whole30 either. It's been easier than the first time, but like you I'm not sure i'm getting as much from it. I wonder if that's typical ... and maybe an indication that our baseline is now better, so eating this way isn't as much of a change?

One area where I have improved is making hash browns with various root vegetables. Two big things I've learned are important to do are to make sure to squeeze out excess moisture from the grated potatoes/beets/whatever, and to make sure the temperature isn't too high. I used to cook them too hot and the bottoms would burn while the veggies in the middle remained raw. A mellow medium heat lets them cook through and brown evenly. You're a good cook so you may be onto these points already, but they've made a big difference for me!

4 hours ago, doubledee said:

I don't feel as though I'm having as dramatic an experience with this second Whole30 either. It's been easier than the first time, but like you I'm not sure i'm getting as much from it. I wonder if that's typical ... and maybe an indication that our baseline is now better, so eating this way isn't as much of a change?

One area where I have improved is making hash browns with various root vegetables. Two big things I've learned are important to do are to make sure to squeeze out excess moisture from the grated potatoes/beets/whatever, and to make sure the temperature isn't too high. I used to cook them too hot and the bottoms would burn while the veggies in the middle remained raw. A mellow medium heat lets them cook through and brown evenly. You're a good cook so you may be onto these points already, but they've made a big difference for me!

That was definetly my mistake, the potato was wet and the outside burned! My turnip ones were much better because they were dry.

Dinner: Seared duck breast, duck fat roasted potato, golden beets and radishes, sauteed green beans and broccolini <3

Last night before reintro tomorrow! Legumes on the cards. Peas in my chicken soup, lentils with my lamb shanks for dinner, might have some peanut butter just to see if it does anything... 

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:24 AM, SchrodingersCat said:

This didn't post so update, went to a seafood restaurant for dinner, had the most expensive dry plain fish and steamed broccolini of my life. Plus the worst coffee. I hate eating out on W30, can't understand why people do it voluntarily. All my food today sucked, can't wait to cook myself something worth eating! 

I have this feeling 99% of the time I eat out whether i'm on whole30 or not! 

On 5/25/2019 at 9:24 AM, SchrodingersCat said:

This didn't post so update, went to a seafood restaurant for dinner, had the most expensive dry plain fish and steamed broccolini of my life. Plus the worst coffee. I hate eating out on W30, can't understand why people do it voluntarily. All my food today sucked, can't wait to cook myself something worth eating! 

I have this feeling 99% of the time I eat out whether i'm on whole30 or not! 

I agree 100% with this. I find it obnoxious to throw food money after crap food :)

Congratulations @SchrodingersCat  for completing #2. I didn't find it as rewarding or the results as amazing either. I do think that, even though I had a few less than great days before my second W30 started, my overall health was so much better that I didn't have so much drama to clear out. I haven't found the reintro piece as stressful this time - I'm quite committed to stay as compliant as possible and that's been a lot easier. I figure if I do a W30 3-4 times a year, I will be able to maintain my weight and, fingers crossed, my health!

Cheers!

R2D31!

5kg/11lbs down, not that I was doing it for weight loss.

Sleeping amazingly well, anxiety pretty much at nil. Oral allergy symptoms gone, inflamed sinuses mostly gone (it's cold here and the heating makes me stuffy but it's not a patch on what it was).

No Tiger Blood, and not particularly energetic, but I wasn't expecting much on that front. Brain fog is still present but there are other causes for that.

Mainly, I started W30 in January to try and deal with chronic vertigo allegedly caused by migraine, and they completely went away in Round 1, after 18 months almost non stop. They came back when I went back off track in mid-April to mid-May. This Round, it mostly went away, but I still have intermittent vertigo. Still miles better than it was. I know that I have major physiological issues right now though, so I will see the Chiro and go from there. There is very likely more than one cause. 

So I'm going to do reintro now, not the slow roll I tried last time but with enough time to have more than 2 days between foods if I need it. Then I have a major event the first weekend in July, and I'll probably start Round 3 after that.

Last reintro I started a thread in the reintro area, but it got confusing because I was staying mostly compliant and still posting in my usual log, so I think I'll just keep this one going. 

Today's reintro is legumes. Having thought about it, with the exception of peas, I don't really eat a lot of legumes. I will eat hummus at a party, but wouldn't buy it, I like beans but generally don't use them a lot at all, I can't remember the last time I ate peanut butter when it wasn't in a Reeces... Really, soy is my most common legume because we eat a fair bit of Asian food. Last reintro I had a soy reintro day with no ill effects, so today is general legumes.

Meal 1: hot smoked salmon and spicy kraut

Meal 2: Chicken soup with 1/2c green peas

Meal 3: Slow cooked lamb shanks in a tomato/carrot/onion sauce with steamed broccolini and pumpkin/brown lentil mash

SO, this is why I keep a food log of my Whole 30 and my reintro - I just went back and looked and after eating soy last time I actually DID end up with sore innards. It's something I get from time to time - it feels like my lower intestine is inflamed and it actually hurts when I move too fast or tense my lower stomach muscles. So today is definitely non-soy legume reintro and I might do another soy on its own after non-gluten grains. I did also note in that log that I had been drinking wine, and that was one of my issues with previous reintro - I basically started doing "reintro with wine" which completely buggered up my results. No alcohol until reintro is over, this time!

Soy and peanuts each did a number on me last time, beans were much less pronounced of an effect, and I don't recall peas being an issue at all... but I'm still planning to reintro each of them separately again, just to be on the safe side. I'm also going to split garbanzo beans apart from general beans (I don't do kidney beans at all anyway, but have used a fair bit of black, small red, navy, pinto, and Great Northern ones as times; for that bit, it'll probably be a black, white, and red chili).

^ I keep looking for more options on the little reaction thing, too! ^
Now here's me just wishing I lived close enough to beg some ham off of you... *chuckle*

29 minutes ago, Jihanna said:

Soy and peanuts each did a number on me last time, beans were much less pronounced of an effect, and I don't recall peas being an issue at all... but I'm still planning to reintro each of them separately again, just to be on the safe side. I'm also going to split garbanzo beans apart from general beans (I don't do kidney beans at all anyway, but have used a fair bit of black, small red, navy, pinto, and Great Northern ones as times; for that bit, it'll probably be a black, white, and red chili).

^ I keep looking for more options on the little reaction thing, too! ^
Now here's me just wishing I lived close enough to beg some ham off of you... *chuckle*

I'd happily share the ham love around!

I was not going to bother with peanuts, but I do love a good satay, so I might reintro that down the track. I know I can make my own with cashews or similar, but it's a go-to when I go out to eat, so I really should  make sure it's not an issue!

Archived