Whole 30 (July 2)

Emma

Day Twenty-One:

Back of my neck on one side is again really stiff and sore - kinda like if you have your hair in a ponytail that is too tight when you tilt your head forward - except worse and sensitive to touch and bumpy. Yesterday, I thought it was a little muscle cramp, but today I'm thinking maybe it's some swollen lymph nodes. Really, I have no idea, but it's distracting. For the most part yesterday, I wasn't aware of it until evening when it appeared again. I'm a little stuffy and I just heard a cough from one of my kids so....who knows. Certainly, I'm glad I'm doing this Whole30 because it helps my immune system combat whatever it needs to combat.

I am again very unmotivated this morning before coffee, but I could drag myself into doing something if I really tried. Everybody else is also up early so there's no quiet time for me. That's okay. After this coffee, I might take a dog and go for a walk/run thing. I'm not feeling the run part of that statement, but once I start walking, the run part might not be so bad.  What is nice is that my legs are feeling more flexible - or able to bend up more closely when I sit on the sofa. I like to think it's pounds of fat that have miraculously melted away. It's probably not that.

Aye yay yay - I'm gonna start getting started on this day.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day Twenty-One:

Breakfast: Leftover chicken satay and greens

Lunch: Ate at a natural foods restaurant, but nothing they served was Whole30 so I had some Italian sausage from Italy that was clean and a veggie Lara bar (that still had nuts and dates).

Dinner: Greens with turkey, egg/cauliflower crepes, and lemon/garlic EVOO

Thank goodness I had the dinner ingredients in the fridge because  the family had pizza. I even went and picked up the pizza so there wasn't time for me to cook or prepare anything for myself. The pizza did smells good, but the thought of eating it...I didn't really want to. I mean, I would have enjoyed it. I do like pizza, but I didn't have any cravings or yearnings - just the awareness that it would be tasty. It helps that I know they use soybean oil in the crust because then it's not really "pure" and I figure if I'm gonna do the pizza thing, I should do a good one with the homemade crust or cauliflower crust. But none of that is happening right now because I ate something else and then topped it off with a handful of almonds and the evening was fine.

The back of my neck is still stiff and my ear hurts. It's not my neck muscle from sleeping oddly on a pillow. I guess I have some little virus or allergy camping out in that part of my system. What is interesting is that it occurred the morning after I had the great coconut milk dressing. And then I had coconut milk last night too. I haven't had any coconut to speak of during this Whole30 so I'm gonna lay off of anymore coconut for the next week and then try it out again - or maybe some coconut oil in my eggs. 

The things I want to check on during reintroductions:

potatoes - easy to isolate and eat

canola oil - I figure I can use this oil to cook my eggs and squash for breakfast, maybe some chicken in oil for lunch...

coconut - coconut oil with my eggs, coconut milk dressing on something at lunch...

soy - idk - the only time I eat soy is when it's in something so it's harder for me to think about isolating

That's kinda as far as I've gotten in this thought process.  I suppose I'd like to try out different types of dairy (butter, cheeses, ice cream) but I know they are not easy on my system and so I have to eat them in moderation which I do. Maybe I don't need to test them out.

I'm tired and my ear hurts and it's hot and I didn't get much alone time today to work on things. Tomorrow we go on a family day trip so no work gets done at home again and I might have agreed to a game night. And Monday I go in to work. Bleh. Monday night I guess I can mow the lawn and get some work done. Look at all that grumping! It's hot. And my ear hurts.

But really, everything is fine. I meditated today for a good session. I did a thirty minute walk/jog thing (walk 2 minutes, jog 30 seconds), and I hung out with family. I just want more time in my life. I guess getting healthier will help create more time because I won't be sitting on the computer or avoiding situations or feeling tired all the time. So all is fine.

I'd honestly suggest trying things you're likely to eat... so if you don't typically eat soy in the form of edamame, tofu, tempeh, etc., then it's not necessary (in my book) to test them in that form for reintroduction. If soy's always just in something then reintro it that way. If the idea of testing it with a restaurant dinner is worrisome (considering the other stuff that might be mixed in as well), why not cook it up at home? Doing a quick stir fry of ground beef, cauli-rice, shaved carrots, and shaved zucchini, all fried up with some soy sauce and (if needed) water; or make some "poppers" (small meatballs) and a soy-based dipping sauce.

Just some ideas I considered when it came time for me to test soy :) 

Aww, that sucks about your ear!  Unfortunately, there is always one thing or another that crops up from time to time.  Hope it isn't serious!  Sometimes when I wake up my ear hurts and I just figure it has something to do with my bad jaw alignment while I am sleeping  or something, and it goes away after a little while.  I've been meaning to ask the doctor about that.  I've already asked the dentist about my jaw, but they didn't really offer any good suggestions.  They couldn't even tell anything was wrong with it when they checked it one time, it wasn't clicking or anything that day.

Good idea to take break from the coconut since that seemed like the culprit of some issues.  I'm doing the same thing for walnuts & almonds.  Have fun with your family game night!

Day 22 - That's one more day than the 21 Day Sugar Detox. I'm glad I've got more time ahead of me. Thank you Jihanna for the thoughts on soy. I'm gonna jot down notes of what I'm doing and your suggestions.

I did write this morning, but I guess I didn't submit it and then when I opened up this evening, I inadvertently deleted it. I didn't say anything of substance. My neck and ear doesn't hurt today. I was feeling a bit grumpy and stressed for time, but I had a fine morning and we had a nice day and then I got to work in the yard this evening for a couple hours which I enjoyed. I still have three projects hanging over my head. Two are fairly easy and one is much larger. I just put them off and now my free time is really, truly going away which stresses me out and yet it was all my own doing and I will just have to find time somewhere.

So THAT is why I am glad to be doing Whole30 and why I am so glad I am this far along because I feel like I can get through the stress and I DO have the energy to get things done. There's just a lot and it all happens so quickly. Ah well. I'd like to be superwoman for the next couple months. I envy people who have things all planned out, but I also like the spontaneity that comes from my style too. Life.

Breakfast - Slaw and eggs

Lunch - Turkey slices, almonds, carrots, beet chips

Dinner - Rockfish and a HUGE bowl of sauteed zucchini, onions, and mushrooms - like crazy huge. I ate SO much. But it was primarily all veggies so now as I sit here, I don't feel bloated or stuffed or anything.

My breakfast was responsible. My lunch was lucky to be able to make happen. My dinner was excessive and not terribly tasty but it was really good in a nice healthy meal kind of way.

Oh - I wore my shorts again today that I WOULD not wear a month ago because they were just too tight and I did wear recently, but today when I looked in the mirror, I didn't see fat legs in shorts that are too tight, I instead saw legs that seemed unremarkable. Unremarkable. Sighing. That's a goal! I don't need to look amazing or awesome - just regular or fine. So, things are happening. I'm interested to see if I lost weight. I don't know if I have, but I feel like my face looks more like me and my clothes are fitting differently.

I meditated today. I did not practice, but I did visualize things for a bit.

Cheers

14 hours ago, Amy_Michigan said:

Sometimes when I wake up my ear hurts and I just figure it has something to do with my bad jaw alignment while I am sleeping  or something, and it goes away after a little while.  I've been meaning to ask the doctor about that.  I've already asked the dentist about my jaw, but they didn't really offer any good suggestions.  They couldn't even tell anything was wrong with it when they checked it one time, it wasn't clicking or anything that day.

See if you have a chiropractor in your area who offers mandibular adjustments. Even if you don't get it adjusted, there are a couple of tests they can do (simple, non-invasive) to see if your TMJ is out of alignment... and pretty simple for them to adjust it, if needed.

@Emma, that's so cool that you were able to wear your shorts! The awesome thing about it being unremarkable is that you didn't have any snide or derogatory remarks about how you looked. That's definitely a step in the right direction! (((hugs)))

Day 23 - I didn't even write this morning!! I wanted to come and check in this evening, but I hadn't meditated or practiced....so I did. And now I'm here. This is the reward! 

I'm back at work. Life is so busy. The camping we were planning to do with friends in two weekends was changed to THIS weekend. OMG. I had to cancel the housesitter and couldn't find one for this weekend. Let alone, my kid has a major birthday party next week that I'm not ready for. School is starting. Meetings up the wazoo. OMG and there's more.  BUT....

What I wanted to say was that I was at work today in a meeting all day and I saw lots of people I know and most commented on my new hair cut. Nobody mentioned that I've lost weight. Yet I have. Last year at this time, I was 35 pounds more at least. So, I am reminded of a saying I saw on some Facebook meme - In four weeks, you will notice a difference with your body. In eight weeks, your friends will. In twelve weeks, the world will.  Haha - not so sure about the world, but thinking of that quote was somewhat reassuring. I'm walking around feeling better, but it's only been a month. Nobody is supposed to notice anything yet. But I tell ya, if I stick with this and another month goes by, I sure hope things are more noticeable. I guess I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

I did well making my squash and egg breakfast and taking it with me. I still struggle with eating in the morning. I am just not hungry at all until I have been up for four hours or so. I'm trying to follow the Whole30 eating schedule so I made my breakfast, but then I just kinda forgot about it till noon so I ate that for lunch. When I came home, I had some nut bar and some zucchini salad (zucchini, vinegar, oil, dill). For dinner, I had a burger with romaine lettuce wraps and some sauteed veggies. I can feel my stomach rumbling a bit doing it's digestive thing. It makes me think I'm hungry and maybe I am, but I'm tired and eating doesn't sound good at all. I think this is what it is like for people who just easily stay a healthy weight. My husband's family is like this. They don't seem to need to graze or to eat too much and I don't think it's because they are practicing will power all the time - I think their bodies just react differently to food.

Oh.....I like how things are. And reading the post from the person who returned back after being away for a bit gets me really thinking about how important it is that I stay focused on what I'm eating and how I'm feeling. I spent months, if not years, waiting to do another Whole30. There is something so inherently HARD about starting one. It's SO easy to just put it off till tomorrow and then meanwhile, weeks and months and years go by.

Aye - I'm yawning. Time for bed. I need to up my game tomorrow and I hope I wake up early feeling good. We have no meals planned for this week and my husband is going out of town and then there is camping on the weekend and there is NO time. But I need to remember that my health is my top priority and goal and so getting the food and prepping the food should trump some of the other things and not get tabled because the other stuff seems so important. Stress :) And so much would be alleviated if I just sat down and focused and got some stuff done.

Day 24 - Am I counting right or did I miscount? That does seem wild. Well, thank you again my forum friends, I got up and semi meditated, made some coffee, and then went for a thirty minute walk/jog. The reward is getting to sit down and reflect and read and see how everyone else is doing (and drink my coffee).

My ankles are crazy stiff and so are my knees, but I did go out and I took it really easy. 

I guess that's it. The day has begun and I'm not quite ready to "grab the bull by the horns" but I'm in the arena. What an odd metaphor that came into my head.

9 hours ago, Emma said:

Nobody mentioned that I've lost weight. Yet I have. Last year at this time, I was 35 pounds more at least. So, I am reminded of a saying I saw on some Facebook meme - In four weeks, you will notice a difference with your body. In eight weeks, your friends will. In twelve weeks, the world will. 

I feel the same way! I want someone to notice, but when they don't I am totally bummed. I shouldn't be I know, but I am. And unfortunately, it always ends up turning into a negative thing with me. Like, "Have I just been so huge that even when I do lose weight it isn't noticeable?". I swear sometimes I could beat the crap out of the negative voice in my head. 

You had a crazy busy day, and it seems like you have a lot on your plate in the immediate future. Just think of all the extra energy you have now, and how hard dealing with all of that would have been 24 days ago!!! 

Counting the days is funny too. In the first week it seemed like a day was forever, now in the last week I am just thinking "what day is it again? 21?23?" I feel like that is a great sign for us!!

24 minutes ago, Beckha99 said:

feel the same way! I want someone to notice, but when they don't I am totally bummed. I shouldn't be I know, but I am. And unfortunately, it always ends up turning into a negative thing with me. Like, "Have I just been so huge that even when I do lose weight it isn't noticeable?". I swear sometimes I could beat the crap out of the negative voice in my head. 

You had a crazy busy day, and it seems like you have a lot on your plate in the immediate future. Just think of all the extra energy you have now, and how hard dealing with all of that would have been 24 days ago!!! 

Counting the days is funny too. In the first week it seemed like a day was forever, now in the last week I am just thinking "what day is it again? 21?23?" I feel like that is a great sign for us!!

Oh, that negative voice is a beast. And it is funny because I really don't care what others say and yet maybe I do because they are another piece of data - when others notice then it validates this process (not validates my efforts, but validates the things I'm noticing about myself). Yes - and I have the same negative thoughts about being so huge....Dumb stuff.  But I FEEEEEEEL better and I like how my shirts are hanging differently on me. I don't feel so huge. I don't love the mirrors though because they often contradict how I'm feeling, but then again, I think about how the marbling of the fat around my internal organs might be lessening and so that is something far better than something the mirror could show me.

And I am SO glad I'm doing this and am so far along. My physical body and my mental body is so much healthier now than before I started and so I'm no longer battling myself or feeling ugly because I can't get things done. Now the challenge is the task, not me.

Fourth week. It is pretty darn cool how fast it has gone (and how slow it was in the beginning!)

45 minutes ago, Beckha99 said:

I feel the same way! I want someone to notice, but when they don't I am totally bummed. I shouldn't be I know, but I am. And unfortunately, it always ends up turning into a negative thing with me. Like, "Have I just been so huge that even when I do lose weight it isn't noticeable?". I swear sometimes I could beat the crap out of the negative voice in my head. 

What if you turn that thought upside down? ;)
Most likely people did not think you were so huge. You did think you were huge - because you had a bad relation with your own body - and assumed everybody else did.
Now that not only your weight but also your relation with your body (which you nurture) has improved your views about yourself have changed A LOT, while for other people you simply have lost some weight - that's all.

Well, it's another perspective.

Day 24

@Amuraand @Beckha99  - I know people don't think about my weight as much as I do, but when you're officially in the obese category and when you don't fit clothes at the store and when you don't fit in chairs, the weight isn't just a mindset. It is a fact. Other people did see me as huge, but they didn't fret over it - it's just who I am in their eyes.  But in my eyes, it's not who I am and the weight got in the way because I was less likely to go on vacation or go hiking or go out with friends because I....would have to find clothes that fit, would feel out of place, wouldn't be able to keep up.  I was huge, but I can also say that as a fact and not as a judgement. But even given all that, I'd still like a little, "Hey - have you lost weight?" or "Hey - you're looking so vibrant." or "Hey - want to share your secret?!" Thankfully, there are enough NSV's that I can walk around feeling confident that things really are changing in a positive direction.

Breakfast: Eggs and zucchini

Lunch: Eggs and zucchini

Snack: A nut bar

Dinner: Halibut and salad

I wish I'd gone without the nut bar. My attempts to steer clear of nuts isn't going so well. Those bars are just so convenient when you're feeling run down and hungry and tired. I stashed some at work, but have none at home which has helped. I'm going to need to have some backup food at work for times when I fail to bring food in or when I do get really hungry.

I was supposed to up my game today and I guess the day went fairly well.  There was more I wish I'd gotten done, but really, I did okay.

I woke up, went for my thirty minute walk/jog, showered, went to work for a meeting that turned out to be postponed (argh!). I was annoyed at that so I stopped and ate my breakfast and then decided to work on an organizational project that I knew I'd never have time for. At lunchtime, I took the kids to Costco and picked up some grass fed ground beef, chicken, and a big bag of broccoli to make a salad for a  potluck later this week.  Then went back to work and was in the meeting till five. My kids were busy playing and wanted to stay longer so I did some more organizational work, took the kids home, grabbed the food my husband made, and went back to work and did a little paperwork while eating. Got home at nine and did some dishes, took out the trash, practiced for a few minutes, and caught up on some emails and now I'm here. Woo - it's been a long day and tomorrow is another long day but in a different way.

I did not meditate today so I'd better do that right now before going to sleep.

I also did not take any allergy pills yesterday or today which is the first time since things started blooming in the spring. So far, so good. (Minor itchy ears, but nothing in the way)

Day 25 - Today I am going to a training that I went to almost a year ago. I took a few photos of myself during the training when I was in the bathroom. I'm not sure what motivated it - perhaps I was already losing weight or was working on it and wanted to document it. The great thing is that I'm wearing the same shirt that I plan to wear today and when I look back at the photos, I can see huge differences in the way the shirt hangs on me. I'm going to take photos again today and I'm curious about comparing them. I have very few photos of me because I'm usually taking them of others.

I woke up this morning with a funny feeling knee and a very puffy face. My hands feel a little puffy too. I'm guessing it's because I haven't taken the allergy pill so hopefully this is just an adjustment period. I'll take some turmeric this morning which I think helps. I don't think my dinner was salty, but maybe it was more than I realized. I slept well last night aside from waking at four to use the bathroom. I had a tough time falling back asleep because I kept thinking about work (and felt wide awake) but eventually I fell back asleep at woke up at 6:27, three minutes before my alarm. Can I say that I am SO thankful that I wake up without an alarm on most days!

And I think that's it. Goals today are to eat Whole30, meditate, practice, but I also have some work goals I really want to fit in because I need to be READY for tomorrow. There's also a lot of shuttling kids and myself around this afternoon and evening to appointments and classes. Not the most exciting day, but it will all be good.

11 hours ago, Emma said:

I know people don't think about my weight as much as I do, but when you're officially in the obese category and when you don't fit clothes at the store and when you don't fit in chairs, the weight isn't just a mindset. It is a fact. Other people did see me as huge, but they didn't fret over it - it's just who I am in their eyes.  But in my eyes, it's not who I am and the weight got in the way because I was less likely to go on vacation or go hiking or go out with friends because I....would have to find clothes that fit, would feel out of place, wouldn't be able to keep up.  I was huge, but I can also say that as a fact and not as a judgement. But even given all that, I'd still like a little, "Hey - have you lost weight?" or "Hey - you're looking so vibrant." or "Hey - want to share your secret?!" Thankfully, there are enough NSV's that I can walk around feeling confident that things really are changing in a positive direction.

I agree with this too Emma. My weight not only became a physical situation, but it stopped me from doing things period. When I started my whole30 this time, I was in a horrible place both mind and body. When I exercise now, I know that it is harder (both doing the exercise and on my body) because of all the weight I have gained in the last few years. 

My issue lies in the fact that I cannot gauge my own body, like ever! When I was 150, I thought I was still enormous. My journey continues to be both physical and mental. I honestly do not know how to rid myself of the negative self talk about my body. It has been going on since I was in the 7th grade. I do know that I am overweight/obese. I know I have to fix the physical part which I am working on. The mental part is so much harder. :(

2 hours ago, Emma said:

Today I am going to a training that I went to almost a year ago. I took a few photos of myself during the training when I was in the bathroom. I'm not sure what motivated it - perhaps I was already losing weight or was working on it and wanted to document it. The great thing is that I'm wearing the same shirt that I plan to wear today and when I look back at the photos, I can see huge differences in the way the shirt hangs on me. I'm going to take photos again today and I'm curious about comparing them. I have very few photos of me because I'm usually taking them of others.

That is so cool!!! Everyday when I read your posts I can see how far you have come over the last 25 days. I know you are gearing up for work/school etc, and you have a lot on your plate. Stay strong you are doing great. Can you believe where we were just a few weeks ago?? How are you feeling about coming up on day 30?

11 hours ago, Beckha99 said:

Can you believe where we were just a few weeks ago?? How are you feeling about coming up on day 30?

Oh Beckha99, I don't think I should end things at all. I think I'm going to try a very slow reintro of a few things with some stretches between things, but IDK. I'm SO much happier and healthier. Tonight I caught myself wanting to sign up for piano classes, dance classes, and go buy a new bike. I'm wanting to do things and I'm not sitting around watching netflix. I don't feel like I'm getting much done, but I am - certainly more than before. What about you?

The more I think about food, the more I see addictive behaviors and so I guess the only reason I want to do the reintro is to try to identify the foods that create those addictive behaviors, but it's probably not just one thing, but rather the cumulative effect of many things. 

12 hours ago, Beckha99 said:

My issue lies in the fact that I cannot gauge my own body, like ever! When I was 150, I thought I was still enormous. My journey continues to be both physical and mental. I honestly do not know how to rid myself of the negative self talk about my body. It has been going on since I was in the 7th grade. I do know that I am overweight/obese. I know I have to fix the physical part which I am working on. The mental part is so much harder. :(

It's funny isn't it how we adapt and adjust and accept. I looked at the photo from last year and there was just so much MORE of me (physically, not mentally). I don't necessarily feel that much less except that I am feeling some lessness happening, but then I look in the mirror and there is still quite a bit of me and I'm a bit surprised. But I was always surprised to realize I weighed so much or clothes didn't fit or I was so much larger.  I try thinking about my body in terms of facts and truths instead of judgement, but underneath it all there is a lot of shame that I don't care for myself or I don't do more or.....So the negative self talk is there. Which I suppose is why I like Whole30 because it lets me know that there is something different going on in me physiologically that is vulnerable at a chemical or hormonal level to create these overeating behaviors. It takes off the shame.

Any positive thoughts on your body? I am always impressed with how well my body responds when I do treat it right. Aside from being a walking inflammation and joint injured person, my body does improve or get stronger or faster (heh heh - not a lot and not like some young vixen, but given my age and the things its been through, I like to say "thanks" to my body for sticking with things and doing its part the best it can.

The mental and physical are so intertwined aren't they? I'm hoping I can deal with more of the mental stuff as the physical part improves.

Day 25 Recap:

Couldn't sit crosslegged today because my right knee was a little swollen and would have gotten stuck or tweaked, but in the evening I was able to sit crosslegged so that's good. I'll make sure to take my turmeric (Curapro) every morning and evening. I like being off the allergy pills, but I can tell the difference - not with allergies, but just like an adapting in my foggy head and stuffy body. It's another reason I hope not to end on 30 days.

Today, however, I did a really lousy job eating and my mood is clearly telling me that I should plan better tomorrow. I'm crabby and tired and grumpy and worn down. Granted, it was a long day and a lot of back and forthing through traffic and then tasks at home and making food for a potluck tomorrow.

What did I eat today?

Breakfast: Halibut and greens

Lunch: Halibut and greens

The above sounded pretty good, but really I had more of a brunch and merged the two together.

Dinner: Rock Cornish Hen, Nut Bar

WHERE are the veggies???? There were none. I did just eat some beet chips when I sat down at the computer. They're not the same as a plate of cooked veggies, but they are dried beets which must have some value or fiber or something.

My mood is interesting. It's also late so I'd better get to bed. I am NOT ready for work in the morning. I wanted to have LOTS done so I could be ahead of things and be able to delegate so I could work on other stuff. Ha. Not gonna happen. Maybe I'll get something done in the morning. Maybe not. But I did do lots of things today and....

Hey - I have to say that my grumpy mood is recent - like around 7:30 it happened.  Around 6:00, I was in a splendid mood, thinking about signing up for dance classes, music classes, buying a new bike where the gears don't shift so I can go biking for miles and miles.....what a shift in mood! I do think it was because I hadn't eaten properly. Lesson learned (I hope).

Lack of veggies, and specifically starchy ones, will definitely lead to shifts like that for me. The best thing I ever did was start buying 2-3 lbs more potatoes than I planned to use for the week in dinners, so I can do a quick microwave-baked potato (peeled or unpeeled, just stick it a bunch with a knife or fork, cover, cook on high for 4-5 minutes depending on potato size) if I feel my mood slipping and realize I haven't had starch (or maybe not enough). If potatoes aren't your go-to for starch, find what is and have it easy to throw together (sweet potatoes can be done the same way, though I've found my microwave needs about 30 extra seconds compared to a white potato of the same size). I do try to make sure I include starchy veggies in my meal plan, but my plan includes dinners and sometimes I forget that I need to make sure ALL of my meals are good (and that I actually eat during the rest of the day, hah).

5 hours ago, Jihanna said:

I do try to make sure I include starchy veggies in my meal plan, but my plan includes dinners and sometimes I forget that I need to make sure ALL of my meals are good (and that I actually eat during the rest of the day, hah).

I have been aware that I'm not eating many starchy veggies this past month and I'm pretty sure it contributes quite a bit. I don't care for potoatos, but I do love sweet potatoes and I used to microwave them and carry one around in my backpack ready to eat whenever needed. I could probably do that again. We'd often get our sweet potatoes at Costco, but they haven't been there. The organic ones have also not even been at our grocery store (but there are more than one store in town so I can't use that as an excuse). I do need to just make it a plan to incorporate those veggies.

Day 26: Slept well aside from waking up to go to the bathroom, but given how much liquid I drank last night, it's no wonder I had to get up. I did sleep in till 7:08 which was nice, but it's now 7:38 and I need to be showered and out of the house by 8:15. Eeeek. I did, however, get up and start COOKING! I'm making Nom Nom Paleo's Kitchen Sink with Madras Curry. It's easy and I know how and it will provide me dinner. I can leave it at work and have it there for me tomorrow too!!! 

I also dropped a pound of frozen grass fed ground beef on the top of my foot - the foot that has arthritis in the top. Talk about a major ouch. Most of the pain has subisded, but my toe and ankle are still throbbing so I might end up with some stupid flare up in my foot.  Or not! Maybe it will just be a regular bruise.

Okay - I'm off. I still need to cook up some breakfast to take with and get myself ready. And the kids! They're still asleep!

9 hours ago, Emma said:

Oh Beckha99, I don't think I should end things at all. I think I'm going to try a very slow reintro of a few things with some stretches between things, but IDK. I'm SO much happier and healthier. Tonight I caught myself wanting to sign up for piano classes, dance classes, and go buy a new bike. I'm wanting to do things and I'm not sitting around watching netflix. I don't feel like I'm getting much done, but I am - certainly more than before. What about you?

I have the same feeling about ending at 30. I WANT to keep feeling great, but I also want to have a glass of wine. I don't think that these 2 things are really accomplished at the same time.  made these whole30 approved hotdogs, saurkraut, and roasted potatoes. It was the first time we tried the hot dogs (no buns obviously), and they were kinda gross. Very tough, and chewy. And I just kept thinking I can't wait until my options aren't so limited. Not a good thought going into the last few days. 

I think I need more time. I feel good and I am sure a dropped a little weight, but I think my mental state with food is still unstable. I am good when I put training plans and restrictions in place for myself. In the absence of something organized, I act like a hot mess (for eating and working out). I feel like I am going to eat a piece of bread when it is over, and I am going to go immediately back to my old body/mental/energy state. This is a really hard part. 

I am trying to work on really concentrating on how my body FEELS instead of how it looks. I know I still have a lot of weight to lose, but it is easier when I have the energy to get out and walk/run/swim. Let's hope it works!

7 hours ago, Beckha99 said:

I have the same feeling about ending at 30. I WANT to keep feeling great, but I also want to have a glass of wine. I don't think that these 2 things are really accomplished at the same time.  made these whole30 approved hotdogs, saurkraut, and roasted potatoes. It was the first time we tried the hot dogs (no buns obviously), and they were kinda gross. Very tough, and chewy. And I just kept thinking I can't wait until my options aren't so limited. Not a good thought going into the last few days. 

I think I need more time. I feel good and I am sure a dropped a little weight, but I think my mental state with food is still unstable. I am good when I put training plans and restrictions in place for myself. In the absence of something organized, I act like a hot mess (for eating and working out). I feel like I am going to eat a piece of bread when it is over, and I am going to go immediately back to my old body/mental/energy state. This is a really hard part. 

I am trying to work on really concentrating on how my body FEELS instead of how it looks. I know I still have a lot of weight to lose, but it is easier when I have the energy to get out and walk/run/swim. Let's hope it works!

I was saying to my husband, considering the dodgy things that go into a normal hot dog, how is it possible that compliant hot dogs, with their identifiable ingredients and lack of additives can taste so much WORSE?? :lol::D

1 hour ago, SchrodingersCat said:

I was saying to my husband, considering the dodgy things that go into a normal hot dog, how is it possible that compliant hot dogs, with their identifiable ingredients and lack of additives can taste so much WORSE?? :lol::D

I KNOW!!! I was so irritated. I thought there was no way it could be bad, but it definitely was. And they were expensive, so that was another negative. Bleh!

4 hours ago, Beckha99 said:

I KNOW!!! I was so irritated. I thought there was no way it could be bad, but it definitely was. And they were expensive, so that was another negative. Bleh!

They can't ALL be bad. We did pick up some mini hotdogs at Costco that were totally clean and tasty. They were a little salty, but that helped me eat fewer. Now I'm trying to remember what is in Nathan's Hot Dogs or the Applegate ones which are the ones I usually get for my kids - I think they're pretty clean - maybe not Whole30, but I like them.  What are your guys' hot dog standards? Maybe I'm totally in the dark on this scene :/  

Day 26

Wow - what a long day, but I did good. I made Nom Nom Paleo's kitchen sink this morning and took it to work to have for lunch and dinner. I also made eggs and zucchini for breakfast and took that to work. And then I got to work and all of a sudden it was 2:30 and I realized I hadn't had my breakfast nor my normal second cup of coffee. I ate my breakfast. I started to drink my coffee and then lost my mug which is so weird because how does one lose their mug. I did though.

And then at 6:45, I sat down and ate a small serving of my ground beef/onion/cabbage/Madras Curry dish while everyone around finished up the potluck. The only reason I remembered to eat was because I passed by the store bought cake and found myself thinking it looked really good. What if the entire reason I overeat is because I'm not giving myself all the nutrients I need. Like, if I was eating Whole30 for three good meals a day, would I still go into overeating and grazing mode after eating processed sweets?  Probably, but maybe not as much. IDK.

So, I guess I didn't do good following the eating schedule, but I did great having food around and plenty of it and I enjoyed my breakfast. I did not really enjoy my dinner because I wasn't hungry, but I ate it and there's a lot more for tomorrow. 

My foot did not get in the way at all today, but now at home when I sat down to work, I noticed it throbbing so I imagine it's a bit swollen.

The day was long and I got a lot done, but I couldn't really focus on the projects I want/need to focus on, but when I came home at 7:00, I watered the plants for a half hour, emptied the dishwasher, cleaned up the kitchen, swept the floors, and then sat down and did some online trainings that allowed me to multitask and also work on a paper project for work  - and I finished!! So I feel a bit proud about that. And I'm a bit pleased that I came home and just DID stuff. I was tired and would have liked to sit outside or play with the kids or read or watch tv, but instead I focused. Partly it's work related - I just have to get things done, but I think even more is Whole30.

And now I need to get my body to bed because I won't be able to get 8 hours of sleep at this rate.  Sleep well, all.

Archived