Amazon

CNW

Can you buy any whole 30 compliant salami pepperoni or other compliant deli type meat on amazon need for a get together that I’m having and me and a couple of other people are doing whole 30 but don’t want have to spend a ton for it 

It didn't take a long time to search, and I'm not sure what your actual budget is (not "a ton" might be different for you than it is for me), so with that in mind, here's what I found...

Literally searched "whole30 salami" and this was the only one that looked compliant.
https://www.amazon.com/Sogo-Snacks-Grass-fed-Friendly-Chimichurri/dp/B076B2DT57/

Searching "whole30 pepperoni" actually brought up far more responses, including jerky.
Chomps is the name I knew best from Whole30 stuff, but the New Primal stuff seems to be compliant also.

As with anything like this, though, be sure to check the ingredients for the specific item you're buying!

I have never found compliant salami. Ever. And I've tried hard. Which is really a tragedy because I love me some salami.

Turkey deli meat is pretty easy to find and might be your best bet. I've found a compliant brand called True Story at Costco. And I can find compliant Applegate Naturals turkey at most grocery stores. 

I'm not sure about buying online though... Are you open to trying a store?

I will also say that these products tend to be expensive... I wish you the best! 

@kirbz and @CNW

I can explain the salami thing (as a salami maker!) - Salami is a fermented meat. It isn't cooked, it is aged and fermented. If it isn't fermented properly, it just rots and (at best) goes off, while at worst it can create very toxic bacteria. The key ingredient to kick starting a ferment? SUGAR! There's simply no other way to kick off a ferment.

In fermented products like sauerkraut and fermented veg, there is enough naturally occurring sugar to kick off the ferment, but meat has 0 naturally occurring sugar, so it must be added. 

So while there are chomp sticks and some rare products which claim to be salami and don't have sugar, they're actually more of a jerky product (dehydrated and preserved with salt) than a salami. I have wracked my brain on how to make compliant salami and have come up absolutely blank. It just can't be done, and still be a salami.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kirbz said:

@SchrodingersCat Thank you for that information! That's super helpful! And now I can stop wasting my time trying to find it... LOL. 

So, I'm not sure how they do it, in light of what @SchrodingersCat said above, but US Wellness Meats/Grassland Beef has a sugar free beef salami:  https://grasslandbeef.com/salami. I haven't tried it, but other things I've tried from them have been good, though pretty expensive. 

8 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

So, I'm not sure how they do it, in light of what @SchrodingersCat said above, but US Wellness Meats/Grassland Beef has a sugar free beef salami:  https://grasslandbeef.com/salami. I haven't tried it, but other things I've tried from them have been good, though pretty expensive. 

That kind of this is what I mean by there being 'salamis' that are more of a jerky style - that's a salt preserved meat, basically the same as a jerky but in a sausage shape :). In fact, the ingredients are almost exactly my ground beef jerky recipe! 

It won't have the tang of a salami (and Italians would be horrified at to being called that), but it could scratch the itch!

13 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

That kind of this is what I mean by there being 'salamis' that are more of a jerky style - that's a salt preserved meat, basically the same as a jerky but in a sausage shape :). In fact, the ingredients are almost exactly my ground beef jerky recipe! 

It won't have the tang of a salami (and Italians would be horrified at to being called that), but it could scratch the itch!

Looking at the picture, I was going to say that US Wellness Meats product looks more like a summer sausage. Probably still super yummy...but not a salami.

I think I had actually found this before and discounted it because it didn't look like salami (in fact I thought it looked kinda gross). LOL, it sounds like I wasn't too far off base as I don't love jerky... I'll save salami for special occasions and my food freedom! Thank you for all the great information! 

5 hours ago, Madeline368 said:

@SchrodingersCat - what about chorizo?  It looks like salami to me, is it not?  Palacios' Chorizo has no sugar.  https://www.tienda.com/products/mild-chorizo-palacios-cz-06-2.html  

There are different types of chorizo, some are fermented, others are more of a smoked sausage, and then there's fresh. The smoked sausage type and the fresh aren't fermented and don't need sugar, so it's much easier to find out without sugar.

2 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

There are different types of chorizo, some are fermented, others are more of a smoked sausage, and then there's fresh. The smoked sausage type and the fresh aren't fermented and don't need sugar, so it's much easier to find out without sugar.

Cool! Thanks for sharing your knowledge! 

• 1 year later...

The same for me, I have never found compliant salami. It's pretty hard to find something in my local stores. Sometimes I visit Houston, so I can buy something similar to what I want. I think it's almost impossible to purchase compliant salami on the web. Also, I can't get what's the point of buying eating online. You can't estimate its state or freshness + waiting time. The only thing I bought on Amazon was this kitchen scale But I would definitely not purchase compliant salami or so. Such products are not meant to be sold for mass-buyer. Sure thing, the decent product will be pricy.

Archived