Worse of two evils - butter or canola oil

Ann

Okay, I'm going to meet friends for breakfast at Biscuits Cafe. Safest item on the menu looks like veggie omelet minus the cheese, black coffee, and maybe a side of fresh fruit. I called ahead, and there may be dairy in their pre-mixed egg that they get in a carton, but I can ask for "whole eggs". Yay! But they cook everything in canola oil ... Manager said I can ask to have it cooked in butter instead. My inclination is to go for butter. Which is worse, butter or canola oil?

In my opinion, butter is less evil. If you are going to the one in LO, you'll be in my neighborhood. :) One more question that I would ask is whether it's pure butter or a butter/margarine mix. Not sure what you'll do then, but it would be good to know.

You guys just love coming up with stumpers for us, don't you?!

There is no good option here. They're both bad, for different reasons. Butter is Real Food, but has milk proteins that we're trying to eliminate for 30 days. canola oil is a highly processed, industrial seed oil, that is most likely rancid, heavy on the n-6s. That being said, canola oil isn't forbidden on the W30; butter is and would require a reset.

I'm going to the one in Oregon City :). Yay breakfast out! I wish I could just bring my own ghee and have them use that, haha! I will ask about whether it is real butter or a blend, and if blend, ack, I'm really not sure! Maybe the canola trumps hydrogenized (sp) garbage? Or maybe I should stick with some coffee and fruit, and have an omelet when I get home.

Sounds like Renee doesn't agree with the butter choice. I thought Canola was out for W30. Another breakfast idea would be to go to La Provance here in LO They have clarifed butter or olive oil that they can cook with. I never cook with olive oil unless I am just gently warming it. La Provance is spendier than Biscuits.

I'm going to the one in Oregon City :). Yay breakfast out! I wish I could just bring my own ghee and have them use that, haha! I will ask about whether it is real butter or a blend, and if blend, ack, I'm really not sure! Maybe the canola trumps hydrogenized (sp) garbage? Or maybe I should stick with some coffee and fruit, and have an omelet when I get home.

I had to do this one time, eat before going out so I was full. I had coffee and fresh fruit and it was still a lovely experience with my family! If you are doing the Whole30, I'd try to go for this option. :) Have a wonderful time out!

Sounds like Renee doesn't agree with the butter choice. I thought Canola was out for W30.

Seed oils like canola and vegetable oils are discouraged, not forbidden.

And it's not that I disagree. Butter is definitely "less bad" than canola oil, but technically butter requires a reset according to the rules, because of the milk proteins, whereas canola does not. Imo, folks doing this program for the first time shouldn't put themselves in this situation. Ann's got experience under her belt to make an informed decision on which is less bad for her...but I wouldn't advise first timers to consciously go off plan just because it's less bad.

Seed oils like canola and vegetable oils are discouraged, not forbidden.

And it's not that I disagree. Butter is definitely "less bad" than canola oil, but technically butter requires a reset according to the rules, because of the milk proteins, whereas canola does not. Imo, folks doing this program for the first time shouldn't put themselves in this situation. Ann's got experience under her belt to make an informed decision on which is less bad for her...but I wouldn't advise first timers to consciously go off plan just because it's less bad.

Very good points. I don't think I went out at all for my first 2 or 3 W30s. I still pick and choose my restaurants carefully.

Turns out what manager said was butter on the phone is actually straight up margarine. I went for the canola oil, and will just consider this a less-than-pure W30. If it was my first, I would perhaps reset. And I may extend this one by a week or more, depending on how I feel about it when the time comes. Eating out is tough.

The omelet was yummy, in any event, and time with my girlfriends even better.

I like the idea of eating eggs at home before going, then doing black coffee and fruit while there (for me, not you, since you already went, haha). I am doing my first Whole30 though and I have realized that I'm just probably not going to eat out at all the whole time. Meh.

We had breakfast at the new location thanksgiving morning this year -- we didn't know it had moved and had a moment of panic when we found the old location vacant! We just kept driving a few blocks and fortunately stumbled on the new one. It will be fun to check out the new Gubancs place!

Archived