Sushi Restaurant

Kate Winter

It can be a little difficult with japanese food. Most sauces and dressings will have soy in them. The best bet is to bring coconut aminos with you and just get sashimi with no rice as mentioned above. You can ask about ingredients and as for special preparations but my experience in most Japanese restaurants has not been great and I hate to say but there've been times I have not believed what I was told.

Important to have the coconut aminos, but try this to... Order a deconstructed roll with no rice. That way you get the nori, avocado, cucumber, radish, and whatever other goodies there are in your roll. I've done this a bunch of times and its awesome! They basically charge you like sashimi, but you get more than just fish. Plate is usually beautiful too! Avoid seaweed salad, it has sugar, and obviously no miso soup or edamame. You can usually also get some fruit like orange or melon for a sweet treat at the end.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I usually take my dad out for sushi for his birthday since it's his favorite. I was planning on getting him a gift certificate and make up a rain check for his birthday meal. But now I'm going to stop in our favorite sushi restaurant and ask if the chef will make deconstructed rolls. Thanks for the idea!

• 4 months later...

Last night I went to my favorite sushi restaurant. I always eat sashimi so that's not a problem. But I was also eating soy sauce before. I didn't think about bringing my own coconut aminos. I'll do that next time. But I did ask what sauces they had that was compliant that I could use instead. This place made a Katsu sauce with puréed apples and spices. And I also asked for the garlic paste they put on the albacore sashimi. Not sure what they made that with and forgot to ask but I think it was not compliant. Does anyone know?

And I also asked for the garlic paste they put on the albacore sashimi. Not sure what they made that with and forgot to ask but I think it was not compliant. Does anyone know?

You'd need to check with the restaurant on ingredients. A quick internet scan shows some garlic pastes contain non-compliant ingredients like cornstarch or soybean oil.

yuzu is a good sauce, it is a citrusy type sauce.

This is kind of far up in the thread but for anyone reading through: yuzu is fine but ponzu, the sauce typically made from yuzu, is not compliant. It has sake (alcohol) or mirin (sugar) and often soy.

Also beware the seaweed salad. Seaweed is great but seaweed salad in sushi restaurants has sugar and soy (and food dye and preservatives). 

Sashimi and the salad w/o dressing are your best bets. Personally, from having lived in Japan for a bit, I wouldn't trust any of the sauces not to have non-compliant ingredients hiding in them. I had to refrain from going to our normal lunch Japanese spot during my whole30. Wayyyy too much temptation there.

You can get a hand roll, the ones that look like an ice cream cone made with seaweed and ask them to stuff everything in there but the rice.  Beware odd ingredients like the fake crab or any egg or the eel.  Go for fish and veggies in there and definitely avocado.

Oh that sounds so yummy!!! Tuna or salmon is my go to!!!

You can get a hand roll, the ones that look like an ice cream cone made with seaweed and ask them to stuff everything in there but the rice. Beware odd ingredients like the fake crab or any egg or the eel. Go for fish and veggies in there and definitely avocado.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone order a teriyaki beef/chicken dish with the sauce on the side? I'm not a huge sashimi fan but I am afraid of disrespecting the chefs.

Beware teriyaki and yakatori dishes, even without sauce as they can be marinated in sugar and other things. The sauce is usually sugar and soy.

Most chefs are happy to oblige, if you're not sure, steamed fish and veggies are a safer option.

Archived