Frustrated at Day 18 and need help/encouragement

reneenee

Ugh, I'm so frustrated with this weight gain. I can tell by looking and how I feel and how my clothes are fitting that I'm getting bigger and "fluffier". I'm on my 2nd W30 (1st one was 2 months ago) and I didn't have this kind of problem the first time around. I did experience unusually bloated breasts both times, but that went away. Now I'm just having "bloated" tummy and thighs. What the heck is happening? I drink 3/4 to 1 gallon of water per day and I'm not on BC pills. I have been 100% compliant with food. Is it the sweet potatoes? The fat? The cooked beets and carrots?

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Ugh, I'm so frustrated with this weight gain. I can tell by looking and how I feel and how my clothes are fitting that I'm getting bigger and "fluffier". I'm on my 2nd W30 (1st one was 2 months ago) and I didn't have this kind of problem the first time around. I did experience unusually bloated breasts both times, but that went away. Now I'm just having "bloated" tummy and thighs. What the heck is happening? I drink 3/4 to 1 gallon of water per day and I'm not on BC pills. I have been 100% compliant with food. Is it the sweet potatoes? The fat? The cooked beets and carrots?

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I can understand how frustrating this must be for you. Other than the feelings you describe here, can you pick three things to list that might reduce your frustration? How has this second time through continued to improve your health? Change your relationship with food? Improve your sleep?

I'd like to think that by focusing on these positives, it may help (a little) to reduce your frustration.

I'll add to the too many nuts comment. I had never really figured that out before because before the Whole30 I still had refined carbs and grains in my diet, and I figured that's what the culprit was, but too many nuts bloat me just as much. Luckily though, once I cease having them, the bloat goes away in about 24 hours, unlike the fluffy carbs that take probably 4-5 days to dissipate.

I also did some more research on the balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, and knowing how having too many of the kind in the nuts (and associated nut butters) sets you up for inflammation helps me to just say no on some days, and only a handful on others. Trying to limit it to heavy workout days, so 3x week or so.

Renée - I'm eating 2 eggs, sautéed vegetable and 1/2 organic chicken apple sausage + maybe a bit of sweet potato for Meal 1. Salad with 100% grass fed beef + macadamia nuts and EVOO for Meal 2. Roasted beets, carrots and brussels sprouts + small sweet potato and chicken or GF beef for Meal 3.

I do eat lots of macadamia nuts and maybe blueberries or an apple after meal 2 on most days. I sleep great - about 7 1/2 to 8 hours and sleep thru the night. I exercise minimally lately - light walking about x/week, with a couple sessions of 30 mins on the spin bike per week.

kb0426 - I definitely have some positives and I have truly been trying to focus on them. One is I have really nice skin right now, yay! And my sleep has been consistent and solid without waking up. I don't crave sugar anymore. There's 3 things right off the top of my head. :) Thanks for the encouragement and the help in refocusing my attention to the positives.

And, yes! I have been eating lots of nuts. Specifically macadamia nuts - organic, raw. I'll cut those asap!

I was thinking that this puffy period was just my hormones getting all wacky and that I just need to push through. I want to trust the program and be an encouragement to someone else that might go thru this in the future. Thanks everyone!

• 1 month later...

I just did a search for bloat (such a common female concern!), and all these comments about nuts - I would never have made that connection! I had a small handful of nuts daily for the first 2 weeks of my W30, and was looking good. Saturday night, I had several small handfuls (nuts are definitely a food without brakes for me on weekends), and Sunday and today I felt like the Michelin Man (exaggeration, but I don't look great).

I'd already decided to knock off the nuts because of the bingey-behaviour, but this just gives me added incentive!

Archived