Looking for some help with stress, life and health related

Hi Everyone!

I am looking for some help. I am under fairly extreme stress, not the bad kind, just the 'this is what my life is like for the next year and a half so lets make the best of it' kind. I think it is responsible for a LOT of my issues right now (such as: severe constipation and abdominal pain, bloat, tiredness, skin ailments, etc FYI I have IBS as well, but never this bad). I am on the go all day, all week; during which time I lift weights 3-4x a week, and do the elliptical 2-3x a week. I work full time and go to school full time. I have just purchased a startup company which is demanding a lot of my non-existent free time. I am in a long term relationship (which is joyful, but all relationships need tending to!) and I am doing a 100% compliant Whole(something, but more than 30) which takes a good amount of energy. I feel as though my symptoms and general well-being would benefit greatly by stress reduction, and more time for my parasympathetic nervous system to rest/digest which it is currently not doing AT ALL.

Does anyone have any suggestions of things I can do to take some stress off of my body? Activities? Things I should eat/not eat to improve the IBS symptoms? Meditations?

A Sample Day:

Breakfast: 1/2 a sweet potato, Several Handfuls of Baby Spinach, 6 Mushrooms, 1/2 onion, and a compliant Turkey Sausage all sauteed in Coconut Oil

Lunch: A load of Baby Spinach, 1 Tin of Sardines in Oil, Homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette

Post Workout (if I lift): 1 tin of Tuna and *maybe* a kiwi or a half a sweet potato

Dinner: Salmon Filet with 1/2 bunch of kale sauteed with garlic and ~1 cup of roasted butternut squash

Thanks Everyone! Much Appreciated!

STOP EXERCISING.

Even with it just being weights and a couple of days of elliptical...it's too much with what you've got going on. Take that time and either do some yoga classes, meditation, or just REST.

Are you taking any supplements for the IBS? What day are you on, btw?

Ahh- I was hoping that not exercising wouldn't be your answer!! I feel so much better when I do exercise! Do exercise and sleep somehow balance each other out-- and forgive me if I sound stupid, but hypothetically if I get more than adequate sleep, is it acceptable to exercise if I feel the whim to?

I am not taking any supplements but having lots of sauerkraut and just this morning, I ordered some of the NOW Foods Super Enzymes that Mod Tom seems to recommend a lot. Also- I am on Day 22, this bloating/pain thing has been an issue since starting the Whole30 (but IBS has obviously pre-dated it!)

Hah, you don't sound stupid, and you'd be right if exercise were your only source of stress. (Where do you work out in Boston, btw?)

You've got too much going on, so adding an additional stressor like exercise is just digging your hole deeper and you don't have time to sleep for long enough to fix it ;)

Here's a post about the "health equation" http://whole9life.com/2011/09/whole9-health-equation/

If you get the enzymes, try to make sure that you get the caplets, not the tablets. They're rumored to be more effective. I explained how Robb recommends taking the enzymes in a recent post, let me try to copy and paste in a minute.

Thanks so much Renee-

I work out at the gym in my office (super convenient) which is just outside of Boston in Bedford. I didn't even realize that there was a mod from Boston!! Which is super exciting since I think a lot of Bostonians are stolid members of the SAD diet, or worse, the hipster/vegan/veg diet!!

I just checked my order on Amazon- and I did order the caplets! Good to know.

I will cut back on the exercise, most definitely. I have been talking with some acupuncturists/naturopathic doctors who may be able to help too, which I like the idea of. Would slow flow yoga be too much like exercising??

Here's that post about enzymes: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/6332-day-11-still-having-heartburn/page__view__findpost__p__59873

Yoga and I are not too well acquainted, but "slow flow" sounds like it's a good option. Too many folks want to get their ass kicked by yoga, which is completely contradictory to its main goals. This sounds like a good form, though.

Let me know if you find a naturopath in the area that isn't a veg-head and is familiar/on board with Paleo. I haven't looked hard, but I haven't had much success. (and I need one) :)

With all that stress, maybe some chamomile tea and in the yoga style, if you can't stop your external stresses, maybe add some soothing sound therapy in your day.

The science is a bit iffy, but I have an iphone app (Brain Wave Mind Tuner) that has great soothing sounds like rain and thunderstorms (perfect to drown out a noisy commute) and modes to help you wake up or wind down ready for sleep. Deep breathing would be good too.

Renee- thanks for the info. I definitely don't want my ass to get kicked by yoga- I did Bikram once and hated it! The least relaxing thing on earth!

I am definitely on the hunt for a good naturopath and will let you know if I find one that is on board with the paleo diet-- there is one in Nashua (which isn't that close to Boston, but I am thinking about making the trek) that may be promising. Have you been to Dr. Shibley in Somerville? If so, do you have any opinions?

Praxis: That is a great idea, I will look at the app! Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Yoga can really make a difference with your stress levels. Although I have been doing yoga for over three years now, I continue to go to the basic class, usually 3 times a week. I'm getting better at the physical movements. The real challenge for me is the "staying present on my mat." I'm a lawyer, so needless to say, the mental challenge of "simply relaxing and focussing on me" is difficult for me. I think you will find that if you stick with it, and you think of yoga as tough exercise for your mind and mild exercise for your body, you will gain lots from the practice. My daughter lives in Boston, and she is the one who introduced me to yoga.

There is a great blogpost at www.chriskresser.com about IBS and insoluble fiber veggies (and a link about FODMAPS too) and how they are like a wirebrush to an already irritated digestive system, causing gas bloating discomfort etc. I.e. All that spinach and kale an onions and mushrooms could be causing you digestive woes making dealing with stress impossible. Happy gut=happy life. I implemented the low-insoluble fiber approach (as well as eliminating non-fermented FODMAPS) about a week ago after suffering with the above mentioned symptoms for weeks- and my digestion has returned to normal and I feel so SO much better- stable energy, calm.

This is a typical day for me on this new plan:

Eggs in ghee and cultured veggies

Ground beef, sweet potato, different cultured veggies

Salmon with coconut oil,pureed beets and carrots

Sparkling water, water, Kombucha to drink

It's simple and repetitive- exactly what an ailing gut needs. Note- sweet potatoes are a FODMAP

but don't give me problems.

The compliant foods I absolutely must avoid right now are: caffeine, coconut (except the oil), all nuts, raw salads, too many different kinds of fibrous veggies (mostly I stick to krauts and cultured veggies to get variety but I have been eating that for a long time so it wasn't a shocking introduction)

Hope you find some calm soon!

Archived