should i stick with it?

caitlin

Hi everyone! I would love some advice about the end of my whole30. I officially have 1 hour to go in my first successful whole 30 (not that I'm counting or anything)! I've really enjoyed the process, and am feeling great. My digestion is worlds better, which was always my major concern (some weight loss would also be nice). :)

I experienced some spotting in my first few days, which went away pretty quickly. Around day 26-27, it started back up (about a week and a half early). It has continued, and I'm curious if this means that I am now starting to experience a hormonal change.

While I'm thrilled that I don't feel disgusted and bloated after every meal, I'm not sure that I've found the 'magic' yet. I'm interested in continuing to adhere to the w30 guidelines to see where it takes me, but I'm also not sure if that is a recipe for success. I worry that by extending my whole30, I might be setting myself up for failure/ a binge down the road.

Also, and this is a little silly, I have plans on Friday to go out with work friends to celebrate the end of my w30. They've been really supportive, and I've kind of built Friday up as my return to the land of the normal. I'm really looking forward to going out and enjoying a glass of wine.

I guess what I'm asking is, if I do decide to continue on with the w30 for another week or so, would adding some alcohol back in ruin everything? I feel like I've come this far, I would hate for that to happen. But I also really want to just kick up my heels and have some fun without worrying. :)

Thanks for your help!

Interesting. Ever since I went paleo I started spotting about about 3 days before my actual period. I wonder what's up with that...? As for the alcohol, I plan to have a drink here and there and otherwise stick to the plan. So I may have a whole 7 here and a wohole10 there, or however it pans out.

I can't help with your first issue so hopefully a smarty pants, science-y mod will give you some insight into that.

As far as Friday goes, I see some people introducing alcohol first. Just beware that you will be very much a light weight and your hangover could be magnified. Also beware that alcohol may affect your food choices in not a very good way. You may find yourself ordering pizza or a cheeseburger and that is not a good intro plan.

As to doing another week of W30, sure. I don't see how that can set you up to fail. I am on my fourth W30, but really, I mostly eat W30 even when I am not doing one.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do and have fun on Friday. That is so nice your co-workers are so supportive of you. :)

thank you! i really like the idea of w7, w10, etc. i'm trying very hard to get away from my typical 'all or nothing' attitude.

i'm excited to go out and be a lightweight (long time since i could say that!). my plan is to eat dinner before going out, then know that I can't order any food. usually if i have rules i do pretty well, even if i get a little tipsy.

thank you! i really like the idea of w7, w10, etc. i'm trying very hard to get away from my typical 'all or nothing' attitude.

i'm excited to go out and be a lightweight (long time since i could say that!). my plan is to eat dinner before going out, then know that I can't order any food. usually if i have rules i do pretty well, even if i get a little tipsy.

As a (hopefully getting better) all-or-nothing-er miyself, I highly recommend sticking with what makes you feel good, and then if you need a treat, have one.

That's actually how I eased myself into eating whole30. I was worried that if I just straight away went full tilt, I'd end triggering my eating disorder, so I just eased myself into it for a week, telling myself 'I'll eat compliant as long as it doesn't stress me out' .... I ended up feeling so good I just stuck to it!

You also might feel so rough after your night out you want to get straight back into it!!

Congrats on finishing! As far as your trip out with friends, it really depends on your definition of "ruining everything". Will one glass of wine make you fat? No. Failing whole 30? No, you finished! Drunk? Probably buzzed because of the low tolerance post whole 30. Have cravings? Maybe...being buzzed is a big eating trigger for a lot of people, especially when there are munchy things on the table!

The joy of finishing up the strict whole 30 is that you did your time, now you can live whole 30 most of the time and have a wine or whatever when you want without worry that you're failing or breaking rules. If you are worried that something is going to happen to you that you don't like when you drink wine, either mentally or physically, then don't drink the wine because the stress, fear, worry and guilt may be worse than the actual wine! Make your indulgences enjoyable...if you worry and fear the thing, it's not worth it. If you think you'll drink it, then drink 6 more because it's a binge like trigger then don't have it. If you think you'll drink it then feel guilty for 3 days because you feel you've messed something up then don't drink it. If you're excited and look forward to taking pleasure in the pure enjoyment of a good glass of wine, then go for it! You're on your own bike...you make the rules :)

Thank you everyone for the encouragement and support! I celebrated my return to the world of wine with a fantastic (albeit pricy) glass of Chauteauneuf-du Pape. It was great, especially with the compliant dinner with the boyfriend. Then we met up with friends, and had a great time out. I probably had more wine than I should, and paid for it the next day, but I'm mostly just thrilled that I didn't eat anything non-compliant! I was able to have fun and stick to my rules, then got back on track.

My plan is to continue eating as closely to the guidelines as I can, then allowing the occasional indulgence. I just have to be sure to keep it occasional!

Archived