Dried Fruit

Ancestral Foodie

They are technically allowed, but use with extreme moderation. The dates, especially, are total sugar bombs and can keep your sugar dragon going, and you can get many more nutrients with much less sugar from other sources. If you need carbs, sweet potatoes and winter squashes are better choices. Good luck!

Thanks guys, by a medjool date; I mean the brown dates, that don't appear to be dried - they are about 4 times bigger than a dried one and have a stone in the middle. They do look a bit shrivveled up, but aren't as sweet or hard as a dried date. I was hoping they were allowed, as they are a nice thing to have with brazil nuts...

I was wondering this too. I know that it says in the Whole30 to "limit" dried fruit. I'm on day 7 and have maybe eaten some dried apricots once a day. Is this too much? I only have about 5-10 per sitting. It's just such a good snack to bring if you're on the go and know it'll be awhile til your next meal.

Well if you look at the meal template Meal-Planning Template: it suggests occasionally adding fruit to a meal, not as a snack, and it shows you the serving size, basically something you can fold your hand over. This is for fresh fruit, dried fruit packs a real sugar punch, too much for most people to have in any great quantity. The problem is, as the book says, our brains don't distinguish between sugar from candy and sugar from dried fruit.

A small amount of dried fruit added to a meal would be fine but it's not ideal as a snack, sorry. Ideally, our meals should be satisfying enough that we don't need to snack but it can take a while to get to that state. A snack should ideally be a mini meal, a mixture of protein fat and veg.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious about whether tossing a date into the blender with my bulletproof coffee once a day, or even less frequently, would be compliant? From what I'm reading here, I think it would be, but I would want to be extra cautious to see how my body and the sugar dragon respond.

Would love some input on this.

Hi, here's what Robin said in another thread a while ago about sweet coffee creamers

It is, technically, compliant. But it reeeeeeally dances the SWYPO line because of the dates. Here's the thing: A lot of folks don't actually like coffee. They like sweet, creamy caffeine. And, on this program, we really like you to focus on how foods (and beverages) actually taste without sweetening them up to make them palatable (ie: foods with no brakes). So, I'd say, if you drink one cup of coffee a day and you add this...you're probably ok. But if you don't actually like coffee and this is just another way to facilitate your sweet caffeine addiction, then cut it out.

Hope this helps

Mod Edit to address a report to this post: This post was written four years ago.  Since then, it has been made more clear that adding dates to coffee in any form is not on.  Dates are approved to be added as a sweetner to items such as ketchup and bbq sauce in minor amounts but never for sweet treats, which sweet coffee would be.

• 4 years later...

Fruit, dried fruit (check labels for sweeteners), and nut butters are all allowed, however I'd caution their use in any other context than a template meal - so throw some cranberries or berries in a salad for example...

Snacks are not encouraged - if you need to snack in between meals out of genuine hunger (eg. due to a long day, or in the early stages as you're getting accustomed to portion sizes) rather than out of boredom, then make it a mini meal of at least two of the three foods groups & then reassess the size of your meals going forward.

Hope this helps.

Archived