Whole30 round #2. Family affair - post surgery Dad and stubborn Mom along for the ride.

Nadia B

Day 9.

Aretha was fantastic. "I say a little prayer for youuuuu". I bet everyone sang this line in their head!

Busy day, so I'll update now. Doctor, shopping, cleaning, cooking (at this point I want canned sardines and cucumbers. I don't even want to peel anything), gym and a "Lunacy Cabaret" party at circus school. Theme - ship of fools. I have a perfect dress for pirates kinda thing, but I am scared to try it on. I bought it at "skinny times" some time ago. It is staring at me from the hanger. Pathetic I know.

I was eyeing some of the courses at this school (flexibility and silks) but I thought it might be a good idea to hang out there first and see. I can't even do a handstand, so I have to know if they will tolerate me. Haha.

Breakfast: duck sausage + turnips/carrots/leeks hash in lil bit of ghee. Coffee and no bloat again. Magic.

Lunch and dinner no clue. Probably aformentioned sardines and cucumbers :D

Did some research to live up by the title Susan gave me. Tripe is a lining of the stomach. Goes to my "if you want to scare people tell them what you are about to eat" list. I have oxtails, spleen, pancreas and tripe so far to try. Read for interested.

I am also very curious to try and make cured yolks. Yes, I am a mad woman.

Have a great weekend everyone!

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy day 9 update! Gross pictures alert! Shameless selfie alert!

1. Missmary has sent some of her pheromones from the woods. Guy at the class today. Wearing all grey. He is lean, tall and wears glasses. So, I am experiencing a severe hormonal imbalance.

2. Did shopping for tomorrow's cooking marathon. Kale, plantain and mango - hi kb! Honeycomb tripe - hi Susan! No green beans, so flipin expensive - but hi Derval :)

3. Won a race against an asian lady to grab a pack of fresh fish roe. I love it. Looooove it. Yes, another gross thing I eat. Click with caution. Before and after. Ain't it pretty? Double fried half plantain + chard + fish roe :D Had some blackberries and coffee with cm at 3pm. I am going out tonight, so it's ok. Side pain. Dammit.

740B21F4-8D04-48C8-BD94-D34468323E8B-2539-0000037200AB3A49_zpsbc9ac2cd.jpg

4. Got on to the tripe mission. I got the honeycomb type, which is according to research is hard to overcook. Thanks TGIPaleo for doing an offal week. Back in days they had a profession of tripe dresser. I could be one. Honeycomb tripe. Click with caution. First step - cut it and boil it. No brainer. Double caution. I've warned you!

5. Wasn't really hungry, but decided to eat. Kale + pumpkin + avocado + duck sausage. This pack saved my life this weekend. Some more berries like half handful.

6. Tried the dress on. It was a bit loose. I was scared I won't fit in. I wanted to dig out my scales or tape. Curious. I am still agonizing over my lb, yes :( 21 day to go, ummm. I refuse to give credit to the stress btw. I am so happy I didn't give up when I gained on my first WH30. I am so happy I have all the support on the forum. For the first round people - trust the programm and let your body do the job. Everything will fall into place eventually. I am getting there too after almost 4 months. If you don't trust me, listen to the mods - follow the template, sleep, work out and chill.

Illegal selfie. Please let me stay on WH30. Off to the circus party. I hope it will be fun.

First, you look stunning! What did you wear on those pretty feet?

Now, fish roe...how do you cook it? Is it salty like caviar?

I love seeing plantains and kale on your shopping trip :).

Tripe? You are on you own there...no worries about me eating your share!

Hi Nadia! I love reading your food logs :)

You may have already thought about this with your doc, but have you been tested for h pylori? Side burning is a symptom of it. I had it and (hopefully) got rid of it. I did have to take coffee out altogether and I stopped having the horrible burning! I would notice if I tried it again, I would drink it in the morning and I would get random burning, even in the night time. Then, when I took it out, it is gone. I hate this because I love coffee, but I also hate the burning!

Just a thought! Also, kudos for keeping the house going on healthy eating!

First, you look stunning! What did you wear on those pretty feet?

Now, fish roe...how do you cook it? Is it salty like caviar?

I love seeing plantains and kale on your shopping trip :).

Tripe? You are on you own there...no worries about me eating your share!

Thanks ^_^ It was a "pirate" kind of thing, so I had a boots with lacing from top to bottom at the back. And an eye patch ;)

Now to the roe question. Roe itself is not salty at all, it's very tender and doesn't have strong fishy taste. Caviar is salted roe. I like it plain fried. Indian cuisine has a lot of recipes for roe as well. I made curry (onions, yellow curry paste, limes, cilantro and coconut milk) from the rest of the pack and it was amazing. Tomato curry is pretty good too.

And mango and mango too!

Hi Nadia! I love reading your food logs :)

I did have to take coffee out altogether and I stopped having the horrible burning! I would notice if I tried it again, I would drink it in the morning and I would get random burning, even in the night time. Then, when I took it out, it is gone. I hate this because I love coffee, but I also hate the burning!

Just a thought! Also, kudos for keeping the house going on healthy eating!

Welcome welcome, join the party. Yes, we made the pylori test and it showed nothing (phew).

Thanks for stating something obvious. I just can't admit that coffee has to go. I don't need the energy kick, I need the taste to start my morning. I've tried teas (which I love), cocoa, dandelion root etc. It doesn't work. I want something that tastes like coffee - bitter, strong and hot. I think my brain just doesn't like the idea of giving up so many things over past months, it's silly.

BE1D8DD3-0B77-478E-8059-DDD04727FD7B-2253-0000029D39DC720F_zps8572bddb.jpg

Nadia! So pretty! :wub: I knew that dress would fit. I hope you had a fun circus party, and lots of hormone imbalance ;) (the grey pants guy? I need details!)

Thank you thank you :) Party was good. I really really want to try doing silks. They look so lean and graceful. I think M. got me hooked with circus stuff. Too bad I can't go to his trainer. Am I crazy?

Grey pants? Better - grey everything - T-shirt and shoes as well. I have never seen him on the other days at the gym but Saturdays, so he must be living somewhere around. I am not sure how to flirt with guys at the gym. I am amazed when I see girls wearing make up and having their hair done on Saturday 10 am :blink:

Oh guys, so much love is coming my way, thank you again! This T-shirt - omfg I am still laughing. I think I found my perfect man. Sorry my dear butcher, I am leaving you for a better one.

Day 10. Honey, I've killed the kombucha.

My momma scoby has drowned. I am in panic. It grew so nicely the days I were away. Today it started to sink to the bottom of the jar. WHAT TO DO? Is it dead? Is it alive? Oh nooo.

C0991B13-96EE-4AED-99A3-4F77257EE302-2539-000003733D8092B2_zps9b8d64f1.jpg

Super busy Sunday. Two sausages and some veggies for breakfast.

Ballet class after. Dizzy from practicing pirouettes. It's damn hard, but we suck collectively. I wanted to pick up some bell peppers for the recipe and spices, walked different route and found a new store opened. I got stuck there planning how to save the world for 3 hours. Decisions decisions. The right one would be - none, but hey they were 70% off. By the time I got home (3 pm with breakfast at 8 am) I was ready to pass out. I opted for the quickest lunch I could possibly cook. Onions + asparagus + scallops + lettuce/avo salad. Too much food, greedy me. Baked the rest of scallops and asparagus in creamy tomato/coconut sauce. I love scallops.

BF931469-C4F8-403A-A973-183A5B8703DA-2253-0000029D3A352FCB_zps3a3b3564.jpg

Then I got to cooking, but wasn't too inspired. However I had so much protein to cook. I made sundried tomatoes/olives beef meatballs and had two of them for dinner (too late boo) over more lettuce/mushrooms/bell pepper (testing nightshades again).

87D6FEC4-D58A-44AA-A625-60EAD8FEB9D5-2384-000002CFEE8E7D0F_zps7364dfda.jpg

Tried tripe which I made alla Fiorentina - it's ok. Check and won't bother ever again. I also made fish roe curry and nonom's fireball meatballs. Holy cow - they are phenomenal.

Day 10. Honey, I've killed the kombucha.

My momma scoby has drowned. I am in panic. It grew so nicely the days I were away. Today it started to sink to the bottom of the jar. WHAT TO DO? Is it dead? Is it alive? Oh nooo.

C0991B13-96EE-4AED-99A3-4F77257EE302-2539-000003733D8092B2_zps9b8d64f1.jpg

Relax Kombucha mother, she is fine. New scoby should film up the top after a while, but really, they can float or sink. no biggie :)

Nadia it's okay for your scoby to sink to the bottom. That's where mine decided to live and now a new scoby has formed at the top. I freaked out too because I decided to move my jug to a warmer room and it sank. Kombuchakamp is a really good site to look at for booch questions.

Relax Kombucha mother, she is fine. New scobie should film up the top after a while, but really, they can float or sink. no biggie :)

Nadia it's okay for your scoby to sink to the bottom. That's where mine decided to live and now a new scoby has formed at the top. I freaked out too because I decided to move my jug to a warmer room and it sank. Kombuchakamp is a really good site to look at for booch questions.

Pheeeew! Thank you, my kombucha heroes. She's alive! I put her inside the cupboard and she seemed to do better in the dark while I was away. Do I take it back out to the light? Can't wait for it to finally grow, I'll go broke buying GT :)

I toyed with keeping mine in my pantry cupboard but I have to use a heat strip to keep it at the right temp. It's still in the 40s here some days. As long as it has enough airflow in your cupboard it's fine. It just doesn't like direct sunlight.

Day 11. Smoking dilemma.

I was almost forced to get back to work by parents. Talked to them in the morning. They said they miss my cooking. Dad's digestion got worse - I suggested Natural Calm, berries and several slices of SP with every meal. Decided that we give it a try and check back in several days.

Mom has been better with packing lunches and actually eating. The problem with her resistance seems to clearing up slightly. It was all about ego and validation issue. She bakes. Dad loves bread and everything she bakes. You get the rest.

Breakfast: last duck sausage + mushrooms + bell peppers + pumpkin. Oh I missed you so much, pretty things!

36A92D34-5AB3-4855-8F58-C0DD5C51C41C-2539-00000370F2EE540F_zps087ef581.jpg

Packed lunch: roasted artichoke + beef meatballs + broccoli on rpo. Sort of tiny, might have to find a snack. Planning fail. I ate half avocado and some prosciutto later around 4pm. Had half bottle of kombucha as well.

E25E3219-F01D-47F7-88D8-D76DA6A3CC31-2539-00000370F0ECDEC0_zps014950fc.jpg

Dinner: curry butternut squash mash + fish roe I think. New yoga class after work.

Now the smoking dilemma. No, I am not craving a cigarette or planning on going back to this shitty habit. I bought a special bag for smoking whatever I want in the oven (pretty awesome, 2$ only). There is a layer with hickory wood chips that will get the food smoky. Have anyone tried it? I am curious if lemon-rosemary rubbed lamb will do good in it? With cabbage as it needs to be cooked for a long time. It's a pretty big bag, so smoking one salmon steak doesn't make sense. Any ideas?

My co-workers got me a huge bunch of flowers and a card as a welcome back gesture, so so sweet of them. And it's +18 (65 F) here! Life is good.

Day 11. Dinner.

Had cauliflower/butternut squash mash + apple/sage pork (found out that I defrosted it and forgot to cook). Yummmm.

1F67A91A-9904-4E0E-9519-F466292D9415-3309-00000481D26595E8_zps60a1809e.jpg

Went to yoga since pilates class is no longer on the schedule. It was a good stretch, but I am not a fan of this lady at all. I've noticed a great improvement in my flexibility. I can completely put my knees on the floor while pressing feet together in front of me like no big deal. I don't know how to call this pose, ehhm butterfly?I don't know where is this coming from, because I sort of abandoned my "stretching religiously" habit.

Ate handful of blueberries before bed. Mnom.

Day 12.

Great 8 sleep, only 2 waking ups. Hooray.

Breakfast: red cabbage in a bit of duck fat + prosciutto + spicy carrots + apple/sage pork. Coffee. Super satisfied and was a bit struggling with finishing it.

8F7FA278-C083-4967-A6EE-DE488B6FDC05-3309-00000481D0E7DB54_zpscfab5b0a.jpg

Packed lunch.

0177B6BC-8822-4D1F-9092-5DE88B10CF95-3390-0000048CC34971DE_zps5e0376ad.jpg

Ok, kidding. It's a smoking bag. I've placed lamb chops and cabbage in the oven last night. It smelled heavenly. I was a bit disappointed with the results. I tried a piece of lamb and it was a bit tough and didn't have strong smoke aroma I wished for. I think I've filled it too much + shouldn't have mixed veggies with meat. I'll try some time again.

Then it happened. Side pain and burning. Insane burning. It is so annoying. When the hell they call me for appointment with gastroenterologist :( Anyways lamb + mushrooms + courgette + tomato (testing too but seedless) for lunch.

Beef ball and avocado pre wo. Gym. Beef ball post. What to do with dinner I don't know.

Walking + wind + sport bag + lunch bag + regular bag+ light skirt = disaster :D

This is exactly the reason I stopped going to yoga classes a while ago, my favorite teacher left the gym and I didn't like anyone else. I am just this kind of person, if I like the leader I can learn Korean in 5 days. I think you understand :)

Day 12 update.

So, I had a spoon of coconut cream. It was so hard to stop. I also have noticed that I eat acid food like no big deal. I ate the whole Meyer Lemon today. Like an apple. This might be the answer, I was thinking about low stomach acid as a potential cause of my pains. On the other hand I've been taking supplements and drinking lemon water (eating lemons) to help it with no improvements. Will wait for the appointment.

Today was a bit of "Derval Day". Not only I unexpectedly got the green beans for her recipe, nono. We had a sub for the class at the gym. She welcomed us - "Alright, we are doing shred thing today. Some of you might know Jillian Mitchel". I started to laugh. This lady has military past, I can bet. she was yelling like we are all going on the secret mission any minute. Everyone was confused with new movements, speed and the way it works. D, do you have this crazy bell on the video as well? Wo itself is pretty cool, but this instructor! Did some strengh and core after. Bad gym week. I wanted to give new owners a chance, but it's been a disaster so far. However I'll stay with the gym a bit longer. Saturday grey dude, you know...

Got home and was hungry even after eating post WO. Sauteed chicken livers, bacon and rutabaga/yam/turnips cubes. I feel bad if I eat late, but I feel even worse if I don't.

Scoby is growing, thyme and basil showed first spears, preserved lemons are getting ready and bresaola is curing. I am such a hippie. If only this stupid burning would stop.

Ha ha a Derval day! Did you find some kids to yell at too? :lol:

No bell on my dvd? tell me more?

Well I had my Mom nagging all day long that I "allow" to bake some paleo treats for Dad. That counts I guess.

Every time we had to switch activity there was a sound alert. It was crazy loud and unpleasant. I though - ok, now I get the horror of the horn blaring non-stop. D Day, telling ya.

Day 13.

Went to bed late and had weird sleep. Woke up several times because my arms were numb then tingling. Wtf.

Green beans and salmon (and a half lemon like a fruit) for breakfast. I got olives and tomatoes yesterday. Read Derval's comment. Pine nuts, that's what I forgot. Made this variation - green beans with sage, garlic and almonds. Super yummy. I will get pine nuts today, nothing to worry about, I have a weekly supply of green beans now.

846D6FC9-946A-46CB-9597-574ABF8A4BA3-4108-000005977F02C214_zpsff2b2543.jpg

Couldn't decide what I wanted for lunch. Chopped (so not kb style) random salad with veggies and lamb meat. I have to figure out how to save 2 lb of tough chops.

F8D66E12-86AC-458F-8E0A-6545A200354C-4108-0000059875D02AA7_zps520de632.jpg

I will eat something before going to the dance rehearsal. I have beef balls, cucumber, blueberries and some coconut cream.

Side burnING just won't stop. I hate it :( Other than that - all is good.

Archived