Greens in meals

kayell

• Moderators

At least once per day, and usually at breakfast, I bake 4 or 5 eggs with veggies. Here is an old recipe... http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2012/02/baked-eggs-with-mushrooms-grape-tomatoes-beet-greens-and-onions/

I wilt greens in my wok in hot olive oil and then cut up 2 chicken sausage links to make a meal frequently. If I have slow cooker roast beef or pressure cooker chicken, I might add it to wilted greens too. Here's a recipe... http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2012/05/pulled-chicken-and-wilted-chard/

I sometimes eat wilted greens and a protein for breakfast. I've started using raspberry flavored balsamic vinegar when I wilt greens along with apple cider vinegar. The apple cider vinegar is strong, so needs to be cut with some greens. The balsamic is too sweet to use alone for my tastes. Bottom line, it has made me like greens in a new way.

• 1 month later...

I find that I can add spinach to most everything and it adds to the dish. If you don't mind shying away from traditional breakfast, try some egg drop soup with spinach. I just take chicken broth and heat it up, add the beaten egg in a slow stream, and then add handfuls of spinach. I also add a little Chinese five spice mix. It's one of my favorite late evening winter meals after a late yoga class. But I've had it quite often with breakfast. I also sautéed a big bag of kale the other day in coconut oil until softened, then added a can of coconut milk and simmered down. Once it was reduced I added a container of trader joe's pomegranate seeds and it was delicious with some chicken and half a sweet potato for breakfast.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to make original Joes--eggs scrambled up with saute'd mushrooms, spinach, eggs and ground beef. Also very good done with kale. I like to pre prep my mushrooms and beef to make it a bit faster in the morning. I also enjoy making fritattas as well! I have been known to have salad for breakfast as well.

I try to have a rainbow on my plate as much as possible. This morning I was feeling particularly lazy with breakfast and I wanted something green on my plate so I just dumped the rest of my baby spinach in a pre-heated skillet and then dumped some mushrooms on top, covered and let it steam. I put S&P on it, but that's about it. Really yummy if you go the "extra mile" and add onions a little coconut oil & coconut aminos.

I do this with pretty much anything leafy/green: bok choy, spinach, kale, broccoli.

Honestly, my stand by is Broccoli, Cauliflower and Baby carrots. I have a bag that's just those plain frozen veggies. I fill my breakfast container 1/2 with my morning emergency protein (ground beef, onions, tomatoes, chillis, spices, and any veggie that was leftover and might turn) and then toss this veggie mix on the other side. Somtimes I add a spoon or two of ghee and then sprinkle the veggies with sea salt and garlic. MMMMMMMMMMMM.... I now CRAVE this every morning.

I often whip up a huge batch of wilted greens over the weekend.

After roasting a chicken (or any kind of meat, really), deglaze the pan with a bit of vinegar (basalmic, apple cider) or lemon juice.

Sautee a sliced onion and some garlic until they're just starting to turn translucent, but still have a bit of crispiness.

Dump in your greens (fresh or frozen!) and wilt them.

Serve as a side, or with eggs on top, or with eggs mixed in, or with meat mixed in, or on top of a sweet potato, or whatever.

I store them for up to 5 days in the fridge, and take a little bit out to microwave or quickly sautee during the week.

I heat coconut oil and garlic in a pan and then add washed greens (still wet) and saute until they are wilted. They are great this way with a sunny side up egg on top, or you can add other stuff from there:

-chopped tomatoes and cumin or bacon

-pine nuts and a little dried fruit (I get fruit juice sweetened cranberries at nuts.com)

-hot sauce or smoke sauce

-sauteed apples

I'm sure there are millions of other add ons but those are a few I know are tasty!

Archived