Whole30/Paleo and DDP Yoga

So I was thinking of picking up DDP Yoga. A friend of mine who has always been a *big* dude started and he actually is seeing some changes. Here's the thing: I also want to do the Whole30.

I know DDP has meal plans and a very particular diet you are meant to follow as part of the program, has anyone tried supplanting the DDP diet plan with the Whole30/Paleo?

I'm a huge yoga fan; however, not well-versed in DDP. My Iyengar, Kundalini and Hatha practices have all improved leaps and bounds since I picked up W9/W30 eating; however, I'm not sure whether this has to do entirely with the eating plan, or with higher sustainable energy levels (ergo more consistency on my part in my practice). If you can elaborate on DDP I can be more helpful! :)

MelliebuStacey: I don't know a lot about yoga over all but apparently DDP Yoga draw heavily on Ashtanga Style.

slw600: I may be picking up a tone where there is none, but frankly, you are coming across as kind of abrasive. I am more than open to the thoughts of others (critical or otherwise) but they need to be constructive.

I want to maintain Whole30 in it's entirety and just do the DDP work outs. I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with it.

For those of us who may not know, here's a basic description of the workout portion of the program: http://www.ddpyoga.com/site/index.php/en/about-ddpyoga/about-ddpyoga

I would think it might be worth it to find out if the program requires or strongly recommends that you follow their eating plan while doing the workouts. On the other hand, the website doesn't talk directly about an eating plan, so it may be kind of like the Tony Horton workout series - he has an eating plan packaged with P90X, for instance, but he doesn't say that you must eat that way in order to have success with P90X. My ex is an avid P90X-er, for instance, and he's vegetarian while Tony Horton's eating plan is omnivorous.

That's my best guess, that you can do Whole30 eating and DDP Yoga together pretty easily. (My own experience is that I wasn't working out at all, and now I'm walking every day and I have energy to spare. So I do recommend Whole30 for energy in general!)

MelliebuStacey: I don't know a lot about yoga over all but apparently DDP Yoga draw heavily on Ashtanga Style.

slw600: I may be picking up a tone where there is none, but frankly, you are coming across as kind of abrasive. I am more than open to the thoughts of others (critical or otherwise) but they need to be constructive.

I want to maintain Whole30 in it's entirety and just do the DDP work outs. I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with it.

So sorry urbane. I did not mean to sound abrasive. I simply know that trying to combine other dietary plans with W30 simply dilutes W30. I would like to ask what you are looking for from W30.

Yeah, don't try to combine meal plans, but do whatever workouts appeal to you the most. Yoga is awesome.

One caviat: if whatever workout you are doing causes you to be tired rather than energized (not just right after, but dragging all day or not sleeping well), that's a sign that the exercise you are doing is too much or too intense. The "just right" amount of exercise will vary with your personal stress levels and sleep patterns and fitness, so you really have to listen to your own body on this one. Have fun!

What Tom said and please let us know how it works! I saw that man's video and it was so inspirational. I have been curious to see how it works. It's funny, either I am too tall or the ceilings in my house are too low to do proper yoga at home. I always end up hitting the ceiling fan in our little cottage, so have given up on home yoga.

Good luck to you!

My apologies for the misunderstanding.

I am not looking to combine dietary plans, I am just looking to use the Whole30 dietary program with the work out from DDP Yoga.

Got it. :0) You have been given great advice by Tom and MM. Treat youself carefully and enjoy. :)

I think any kind of yoga is always great. For me a good class can be the perfect combination of mental and phsyical.

I would just say about yoga that it's really important when you are starting to have a good teacher. If you can swing a one-on-one lesson or a smaller beginner class it will be worth every penny. The yoga portions of the video (very inspirational, made me teary-eyed) look like standard vinyasa poses so any class will help you with proper alignment. It is worth it to find a studio where you can take a class with someone who's been doing this for more than two months, and who is really paying attention to all of the people in the class.

You can spend six months at home wondering if you are doing things properly or you can go to a few classes with a good teacher and have a good foundation for doing yoga anywhere. I am not sure about this "DDP" if it's legit or gimmicky or what (looks like standard yoga trying to appeal more to dudes who might not otherwise do yoga?), but all forms of yoga pretty much use the same basic poses, even if they differ in speed, sequence, hand gestures, etc.

Most important: be kind to your back. If something hurts, don't do it. I started Bikram several years ago and got all gung-ho and caught up in a really competitive class with people wearing tiny clothes and bending themselves in half. I totally jammed up my back because I didn't want to seem like a weakling and was impatient with myself. Bad idea! It was the start of a lot of back issues. :(

Enjoy it.

My apologies for the misunderstanding.

I am not looking to combine dietary plans, I am just looking to use the Whole30 dietary program with the work out from DDP Yoga.

Hi I'm a newbie here. I am 95 to 99% Paleo and I have been using DDP Yoga for almost 3 months. But in May I am doing the Whole 30 which means I just need to make a few changes to the way I eat. DDP Yoga is great as I needed an exercise program that was low impact due to foot problems. I do other exercises as well, again all low impact due to my feet but the focus is DDP Yoga. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

• 2 months later...

Hi!

Yes! I believe DDP yoga absolutely can be combined with the Whole30 meal plan! 

The DDP yoga "diet" is pretty much whole30 (maybe some more fruit) in the last phase (or what they call it) but also includes some snacks if needed. Clean, natural food, enough protein and veggies, a little starch and no gluten, sugar or dairy. So, there should not be any trouble combining DDP yoga and W30 if you want to ;)

And that DDP yoga is not like "the common yoga" in my eyes. It is intense! (Well, it also can be easy, if you want it to be..)

Good luck! :D

Archived