Too many nuts...should I start over?

I am on Day 4 (have already had to restart 2 times) and today I ate a whole container of macadamia nuts and a larabar. I'm feeling pretty shitty now. I am desperately trying to kick my sugar dragon, and I think I am using nuts as a substitute for sugar. Either way, I am going to eliminate all nuts/nut butters, but I am wondering if I should restart my whole 30, or just continue without nuts. I think it would be discouraging to have to start over again, but I really want to do this right.

I think starting over for a bad decision can be a very discouraging thing. It really depends on what you over eat. If you did a face plant into an entire cake (or even a piece), I would say start over. I would get rid of nuts, their butters and the larabars (should only be used in emergencies) and give yourself the opportunity to slay that dragon. :)

Overeating approved foods isn't a reason to restart, just re-organize. Your pantry, your behaviors, etc. It's very hard to get away from sugar, even after the W30. Don't feel too discouraged; it's great you are sticking with W30 foods. That's the first step!

Thanks to both of you for the encouraging words. I'm not feeling so guilty now, but all the nuts are out of my house and I have packets of coconut butter for emergencies so I dont have any excuse to buy larabars or nuts. I'm going out for a hike now to move my body and get the nuts to leave my system.

Good job! Nuts are tough b/c they are easy to overeat. I've had the same problem with nuts and the butters... they are a "food with no brakes" for me. Especially almond butter... so I hid them all from sight and will probably give them away even after the Whole30!

Keep it up!

I have also suffered from eating too many nuts. I have gone without them for long stretches but I also found that preparing them the Nourishing Traditions style- soaking for 8 hrs in salted water then dehydrating- has made them not only more digestible (by neutralizing phytates) but also not something I want to overeat. I have been able to eat just the closed palm serving with no desire to keep eating them. This is days after eating an entire jar of cashew butter- a time when I would normally have to say no more nuts ever. I think there is a compound in them (or the irritation they cause) that causes the overeating for some people. I'm amazed at what a difference the soaking makes- its like an entirely different food. I've seen other posters mention that soaking is how they prepare them also.

Archived