My Whole 90 (autoimmune protocol + coffee elimination)... almost...

suth_n_belle

May 1st, start date.

Height: 5' 6"

Weight: 137 lbs

Here's me, today, no makeup. I also have moderate acne issues.

Here is where I will be posting my meals, if you wish to follow: https://m.facebook.com/?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2F&_rdr#!/media/set/?set=a.10200592440666423.1073741825.1021519972&type=1&refid=13 Or go to Kyra Gelyastanova Facebook page and find the Whole90 photo album.

post-23161-0-26755300-1367426486_thumb.j

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I will try these, for breakfast this morning. With ground beef instead of ground pork. And without the spices I can't have/don't have on hand. So it will season with salt, black pepper, and rosemary. Paprika and cayenne are nightshades, and I'm guessing nutmeg is a nut. I may add a bit of cinnamon as well, idk. Then I will probably have some green beans and mixed berries; perhaps a little coconut butter with the berries. I will cook the meat and green beans in coconut oil; I pretty much use that for all my cooking, anyway.

And black tea. I'll have black tea.

http://fastpaleo.com/breakfast-sausage-2/

Update: I ended up seasoning the sausage with rosemary, black pepper, Celtic sea salt, garlic, and cinnamon. Cooked in coconut oil. It was pretty decent!

Vivid nightmares... Yikes!! Up at 2 am, roaming the house, and HUNGRY!! Ok, there is healthy, small, high-protein meals all throughout the day, and then there is stuffing yourself at mealtime, causing your blood sugar to rise rapidly and then fall, and subsequent binge snacking. Whole30 does not differentiate between the first, healthy habit, and the second, unhealthy habit. Aargh!!

I dreamt that I was falling asleep at work due to no coffee, and I got fired. After just one day of no coffee!

ISWF has an entire section on hormones that explains why the goal is to eat three meals and not to snack in between. That's not so easy at first, but it gets easier and feels amazing. The hormonal side feels good as does the freedom from grazing all day.

ISWF has an entire section on hormones that explains why the goal is to eat three meals and not to snack in between. That's not so easy at first, but it gets easier and feels amazing. The hormonal side feels good as does the freedom from grazing all day.

Oops, it's entirely possible I missed that, as this is a library book, and I have to return it, soon. When it said, "If you don't need to know the science behind it, skip to chapter 8," I did. I will see if I can find it. I'm talking about small, frequent meals to maintain steady blood sugar levels, but I don't know whether the retraining of burning fat for fuel, negates that process, anyway. Eventually. Not in the first 2 days, apparently!!

Do you mean the "good hormone/bad hormone" day? B/c I think I read that, but I don't believe it works, if you've been on a higher-carbs diet. Although I have faith in the experiences of others on W30, and I hope I get to the point of not feeling hungry between meals. Because I would naturally expect the body to give a hunger signal, before it started burning fat for energy. And I'm a bit surprised at the reports, that it isn't the case.

Check out chapter 5. Trust me, the body doesn't get there right away. If you limit fruits and nuts and try not to snack, you can get there pretty quickly. When I first got here, I read that people who had late-night hunger ate bigger breakfasts to overcome the issue.

Anyway, for now, don't let yourself go hungry. Have a mini-meal that follows the meal template, but is smaller, to get you through. Then, try increasing your meals as your body tolerates it.

Also, there was a long thread about sleeplessness. The biggest thing I learned was not to fight it. I got up and did something calm without stressing about needing sleep. Laying in bed, tossing and turning and frustrated only seems to make things worse.

Wishing you a satisfied belly and a good night's sleep...

Well, I drank a cup of bone broth before bed, last night, and I didn't wake up ravenous.

Now I feel my thyroiditis is flaring up, and I can't imagine why. My thyroid gland feels swollen. My best instinct says the kombucha is causing it, but I can't imagine why or how.

Also, I have a very nasty cal-mag powder that I'm trying to figure out how to choke down. When I took one dose, I felt an almost immediate improvement in aches and pains. But it tastes like gravel! I mean, it has no flavor, it's just a texture thing. I feel like I'm drinking dirt! So gross! I tried it in bone broth, kombucha, pureed prunes, and even mixed into hardened coconut butter, then I tried to break off chunks and swallow them whole, and I nearly choked myself! If anyone has any ideas... I would have to do 10-15 horse size capsules daily, if I tried to encapsulated it, and I already have issues with swallowing & stuff getting caught in my throat.

No advice on the cal-mag powder. It sounds gad. I take the horse pills. LOL

As for not getting hungry between meals, I've found that more fat is the answer for me. It keeps me from feeling hungry for hours.

Well, I may have figured out the problem with the kombucha and my thyroid swelling. I was sipping on a ginger-pear flavor, all day, and apparently pear is a goitrogen (causes goiter). So I may have to procure a list of goitrogens, and while I probably can't eliminate them all at this time, I will at least try to make sure they are cooked, minimizing their effects.

For the mods or anyone who knows, will eliminating most allergenic foods, cause your body to become more sensitive to anything that's left? Because I don't recall problems with goitrogens, before.

Well. And now I've read a study indicating that both black and green tea may be goitrogenic. Although I doubt that organic tea was used in the study, so the levels of flouride, alone, may have been the real goitrogen! So I'm considering trying rooibos to make my next batch of kombutcha, and trying yerba mate for that morning stimulant. I found this study after I drank a cup of plain, black tea, and had the swollen thyroid feeling, again! I'm like, What is up??

In other news, if you are following my meals, I work a 16 hr overnight shift on Friday night, and my meal schedule is accordingly a little bit different on Friday/Saturday. I typically sleep late on Friday morning, eat a late morning meal. Get the toddler off to daycare, take a nap. Get up that evening, eat a meal, go to work. Eat about 2 meals on shift. Get home close to noon on Saturday, eat a meal, take an afternoon nap. Get up, eat an evening meal, go to bed that night, back to a normal schedule on Sunday morning.

For the mods or anyone who knows, will eliminating most allergenic foods, cause your body to become more sensitive to anything that's left? Because I don't recall problems with goitrogens, before.

I read a post earlier in which a woman thought she may have responded to a small amount of dairy in a way that she had not responded to it before. I believe Tom explained to her that a healed and healthy gut does not have the thick mucous that an unhealthy gut has to protect it from irritants. Therefore, responses that may have been masked may become more apparent.

My recollection of his explanation may be a little off and not sure if that would apply to thyroid reactions.

Get some sleep! I had a similar schedule on the weekends in college when I worked overnight as a radio DJ.

What does anyone think of this fish oil? Vitacost is selling it for only $14! The ingredients look good, except that capsicum is a nightshade. So I might not be able to use it until after W90 and reintroducing nightshades. Other than that, it looks good. It doesn't specifically state that it is free of corn, soy, and gluten, three of my biggest concerns with supplements. BUT they do seem to list soy as an allergen on other products. For example, their cod liver oil specifically states, "contains soy", and this does not. So I'm thinking it may be good.

http://www.naturesanswer.com/p-828-platinum-liquid-omega-3-fish-oil-16oz.aspx

Thing is, I really want to take a fish oil, now, not waiting 90 days :/

Also I wonder if the rosemary in it, is a significant amount or not.

Sub for bell peppers: dehydrated squash. Just made some, sliced on the diagonal to make bigger. Didn't even season them and they are sweet and delicious "chips" for holding things. Just an idea.

Thanks for this suggestion! I started my Whole30 on May 1st. I'm not eating Nightshades, eggs, beef or oranges because of tested sensitivities. I was eating peppers daily as my 3pm snack and I'm really missing them. I've lowed myself too many nuts the last three days. I will dehydrate some squash! Thanks so much!

So far, me best theories on the thyroid swelling, after consulting with my thyroid groups, are, a) detox symptoms from starting the W30, B) "iodine-hoarding" by the thyroid gland, as I forgot to take my iodine supplement for a few days, then got back on it. Since the thyroid tissues need iodine to function, and I temporarily deprived them of their normally steady iodine source, the tissues essentially went into "iodine starvation mode", or c) some component of the kombucha or black tea is having a goitrogenic effect on me. I've been given some information to indicate that goitrogens are not an issue in presence of adequate iodine, but then I've been off my iodine, now, haven't I?

I'm as yet undecided on whether to get off black tea and make the kombucha with am alternative. I think I'm going to procure some dandelion root to help alleviate detox symptoms, if that's what it is, and take a wait-and-see approach about the black tea. Maybe the thyroid swelling will go away as I progress on the diet.

I broke down and allowed some apple juice for sweetener today. I needed to make my nettles tea palatable. Also, I managed to choke down the nasty cal-mag supp, with some apple juice. I couldn't find the restrictions on how much juice for sweetener one could have. So I probably used 4-6 oz for both of those items, a few oz each. If I take another dose of cal-mag before bed, I will use a few oz more. I think it is worth it for the health benefits of the supplements and herbs.

*Disclaimer: Nothing I say on these forums, should be construed as medical advice.

No one? Ok, I'm going to eat them, then.

If the processing plant also processes foods that contain allergens, they have to say that to inform people with extreme allergies. Unless you are one of those people, you are fine.

Archived