My Whole 90 (autoimmune protocol + coffee elimination)... almost...

suth_n_belle

I'm not sure how to use this forum to chronicle my W30, but here goes. BTW, does anyone know how to upload photos from mobile?

I am reading ISWF, borrowed from the library, and gearing up to start a 90-day autoimmune Whole30. Additionally, I plan to eliminate coffee for 90 days, to see how it affects me.

My title states, "almost", because I am currently planning to re-introduce stevia and raw, local honey after 30 days (but not other sugars). My reasoning for this, is that these are not inflammatory or allergenic substances, the honey is actually healing, and I will have already done the basic 30-day elimination; I will just be continuing to eliminate the other autoimmune foods for a total of 90 days. Also, I plan to lift the ban on approved-ingredient sweets, after 30 days. I don't eat much sweets, but I do like something in my tea and strange-tasting herbal concoctions, plus I like the occasional homemade chocolate. I figure this allowance will make it doable for succeeding at a 90-day elimination of the autoimmune substances. After all, I'm not out to torture myself!

I plan to continue drinking my homemade bone broth, nettle tea, and home-brewed kombucha, throughout.

I am looking at blocking out May, June, and July, or possibly June, July, and August for my Whole90.

I currently have horrible aches and pains, seasonal allergies, brain fog, and chronic low energy. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and celiac disease. I am also trying to determine whether I have an intolerance to corn and soy.

I'm having a very hard time finding nutritional supplements that are definitely free of corn, soy, and gluten, especially an affordable fish oil capsule? If anyone has good recommendations, there...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds like an excellent plan. I'd like to follow your progress it will motivate me towards a longer AIP elimination. I made it about 3 weeks with 99% compliancy. I'm post W30 now and nowhere near ready to give up raw honey but I may do it the way you say you'll do your days 31-90.

One word about logging- log your first w30 in the regular food log section then days 31-90 can be logged in the "post w30" section. Use the tags AIP and hashimotos also.

Best wishes!

• Moderators

Welcome. I am sure you will learn a lot over the coming months. I was surprised at how useful stopping coffee was for me, but I did not get around to it for more than a year.

As Moluv said, you can log here in the Your Whole30 Log section while you are following the Whole30 guidelines strictly. If you reintroduce stevia, honey, or anything else off plan, you need to move on to the Your Post-Whole30 Log section. Let me explain why. First, the Whole30 is defined by the Whole9. If you are going to call something a Whole30, it has to follow the Whole30 guidelines as written. Second, instead of reading the Whole30 guidelines to learn what is okay and what is not okay, some people do crazy things like read food logs and random internet blogs to come up with what they will eat during a Whole30. We can't stop that from happening, but we do try to make sure off-plan foods are not discussed in the Your Whole30 Log section.

Yes, that's what I'm going by, but coffee and cocoa was not mentioned in the autoimmune section. Do you mean they are both seeds? Because I was thinking of them as "beans", the part that remains after the flower has fallen off, similar to berries.

Sorry, I had not thought about seeds and all the places they exist... I don't want to be guilty of using unapproved "seed" seasonings. Anyone have a primer on seeds? I mean, I was only thinking of the basic ones, sunflower, sesame, pumpkin seeds, and the like.

Yes, that's what I'm going by, but coffee and cocoa was not mentioned in the autoimmune section. Do you mean they are both seeds? Because I was thinking of them as "beans", the part that remains after the flower has fallen off, similar to berries.

Sorry, I had not thought about seeds and all the places they exist... I don't want to be guilty of using unapproved "seed" seasonings. Anyone have a primer on seeds? I mean, I was only thinking of the basic ones, sunflower, sesame, pumpkin seeds, and the like.

I think I'm confused about what constitutes a seed.

I guess I was going by the list on page 175? Is this adequate for ai purposes, or are their other nuts and seeds to avoid? Where can I find a list of nuts and seeds to avoid? There are too many things that can potentially be classified as nuts or seed... or not, depending on how you look at it.

I may be confused about it too to be honest. That's why I asked you I think. The AIP doesn't get discussed a lot on here and most sort of cherry pick what they want to exclude based on what they think they react to. I have seen extensive lists of which seasonings are seed based and which ones are bark, berries, roots, leaves and flowers.

I think coffee is excluded because it is a powerful gut irritant, not sure what the beans are. Cocoa though maybe I am wrong about. Ill have to check that.

Welcome! ;-)

I gathered a few of the Whole9 resources on supplements that may be of use to you.

http://whole9life.com/2012/02/supplement-evaluation-checklist/

http://whole9life.com/2010/09/supplements-part-ii/

http://whole9life.com/2012/04/probiotics-101/

http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/

I don't have a smartphone or I'd try my hardest to help you with the photos. Sorry.

Congrats on starting this journey!

Hmmm neither coffee or cocoa were restricted in the ai protocol, but coffee was restricted in the ibs protocol. Maybe that's what you're thinking of. I would like to know how far this goes, because one could potentially say strawberries aren't aip, due to the seeds. There has to be a line, somewhere.

This is my planning, in progress ;)

Shopping lists with items I cannot have (or refuse to eat... like canned meat/canned vegetables), marked out. Items I expect to use most, circled or checked.

Menu options on index cards. Pick a meat, pick 1-2 vegetables, pick a fat. Done!

Okay! I think I figured out how to upload photos!

post-23161-0-82043900-1367188223_thumb.j

That's interesting. Maybe I misunderstood the AIP. I have lent my book to a friend but I seem to have recalled it stating that those following the AIP should also follow IBS as well, which is where the coffee is eliminated. Perhaps if I was to allow coffee during another aip elimination I might be able to do it longer. And maybe not being so strict about seed based spices (just avoiding the nightshade spices) would also make it easier to follow.

I have also been responding well to nuts that have been soaked and dehydrated so I would probably leave those too.

Maybe coffee/cocoa elimination is connected to gluten cross reaction, remember PaleoMom wrote about it. I am sure you are familiar with the resource (if not, go read for sure). I tried to do AIP, but managed to rule out eggs and nightshades only. Those are the biggest troubles for me. And nuts. Urgh those little nuts.

Oh yes, welcome and goodluck.

Hmmm neither coffee or cocoa were restricted in the ai protocol, but coffee was restricted in the ibs protocol. Maybe that's what you're thinking of. I would like to know how far this goes, because one could potentially say strawberries aren't aip, due to the seeds. There has to be a line, somewhere.

When I did 3ish weeks of what I'm calling my AIP, I did avoid strawberries because I was doing AI & IBS together. I also avoided citrus.

I believe it's the other way around, Moluv. There is nothing in the book to say that autoimmune persons must also do ibs protocol, but it does say those with ibd should also do ai protocol.

Yeah, I must have it backwards. I did both together. Never felt better. It was pure bliss, I was so calm and focused. And my belly shrank a lot, and it also was happy and calm. My intention was to eliminate everything listed on both of the lists and then systematically reintro one at a time, but I just kind of jumped off the plan really abruptly and added back chocolate, sweeteners, coffee, cream, raw cheese, butter, spices, any fruits, dried fruits, soaked nuts, wine over the last 2 weeks. My tummy hurts and sticks out. Otherwise, I still feel more focused and pretty calm.

I guess that's why I was asking specific questions because everyone does AIP their own way, and I really am looking forward to yours, it sounds like a fabulous plan!

Fwiw, one of my thyroid groups gave me this link, as their recommended elimination/provocation diet. So I may try to combine the restricted foods from both lists for the 90 days. Although I'm still wholly unconvinced about giving up cocoa, Haha! I won't commit to that, just yet!

http://thyroidbook.com/blog/autoimmune-gut-repair-diet/

Now I have to scrutinize my shopping lists, again, as there are more foods I can't have!

Since there may be other thyroid patients who will follow this, I will post a couple of my favorite thyroid resources (I am sharing what has helped me, as a patient; I am in no way financially affiliated with any of this ;):

My very favorite is www.stopthethyroidmadness.com ; they also have a Facebook group, Stop the Thyroid Madness. They strongly advocate only natural dessicated thyroid (vs synthetic) for thyroid hormone replacement. They also advocate dosing by symptoms, vs being locked into dosing only by labs.

The other one I like is a Facebook group, Hashimoto's 411. They are a little more liberal, it's pretty split between those on natural and synthetic thyroid hormone, but their primary focus is diet. Since Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disorder causing progressive damage to the thyroid gland, they advocate a Paleo-esque diet to reduce antibodies and inflammation, slowing the progression of the disease. The link I posted, above, for a thyroid diet, was from them.

Hi,

You asked about supplementation and I wanted to mention a product that I love and take made from only whole food.

It is Juice Plus, and it's 17 fruits and veggies in capsule form (and another blend that contains 9 berries and grapes). It does contain 2 grains, oat and rice, but due to the way they are processed in this product, it is considered gluten free.

There are 30 clinical studies done on people taking this product and the benefits to it decreasing markers of inflammation have been documented.

I am not sure if Juice Plus is officially Whole 9 approved. But I definitely wanted to mention it. I have taken it religiously for 4 years and am not stopping that during my whole 30.

Wanted to at least share. You can email me if you would Iike to discuss it further - [email protected].

Archived