My Whole 90 (autoimmune protocol + coffee elimination)... almost...

suth_n_belle

I suspect an allergy to soy,but don't know for sure, yet. Not severe, though, no.

Well, until about 2 days ago, I was constantly hungry and felt like I was losing weight. Now, I feel I have as much weight as I ever did. Boo! Need more vegetables, less fruit.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've also discovered that coconut oil, cinnamon, salt, and cocoa powder is fabulous and delicious on an array of items. Mostly beef and sweet potatoes, so far. But I'll probably think of something else to try it on. And ginger seems to go with a lot of things, too! I am loving my fresh ginger.

Tonight, I'm going to try roasting a whole chicken with oranges and cilantro for seasoning. I'm making it up as I go, so I hope it turns out!

Jumping in here with a question: How do you tell where your thyroid is, and how do you feel whether or not it is inflamed? I've had Hashimoto's for years and have just learned that people can tell where their thyroid gland is and when it is inflamed. Woah! Awesome! How does one do this?

I don't know, Amy, it just starts to feel sore and my throat feels constricted. It's a sensation of a lump in my throat. Visually, my neck is bigger at some times than others, but I don't pay too much attention to that, I just know how my throat feels and how those sensations change throughout the day.

LOL! Maybe Melissa has something to say about this now that she has a young'un. I saw what I think was a post from her on FB yesterday and "what works for your kid won't necessarily work for my kid." Suppose that could have been another mom at Whole9, though.

I'm not doing so well, the past couple days. I've skipped meals, eaten on the run, snacked before dinner, and eaten lots of dried figs. I guess I can't buy figs, anymore. In following the W30 guidelines, I'm eating much more than I have been, and I feel like I'm gaining weight. I mean, I had trained myself to eat no more than my 2 yr old, and I was only maintaining weight, that way. To lose, I had to fast. And I have done several extended fasts, and I lost 35 lbs in the past year or so. But every pound lost, was a battle... and I'm terrified of now losing all of that hard work, by eating an average W30 plate, at every meal.

Don't, just don't. That's a logical reaction of your body. It will level out. You've done serious metabolic damage by under eating, so kind of unrealistic to expect it to get fixed right away. You are doing the right thing, eat well and sleep well, be kind to yourself. You can also listen to everyday paleo podcasts 36 and 37. They talk a lot about caloric restrictions and why it's ok if our bodies gain a bit first only to shed it again.

Hang in there! Please don't get on the scale. I'm just letting g o of mine. I had to send it home with a friend because I'm a compulsive weigher. Both myself and my food. These habits are so difficult to change. I think I use the scale to beat myself up, to be less than optimal. I'm afraid of gaining as well, but I'm willing to give it a shot in the quest for healing.

We can do this together! We have a wonderful support group here.

I'm finishing Day 17 today. Onward!

Thx. I'm feeling better. I'm kinda tired of cooking, cooking, cooking, b/c I can't eat processed foods, and spending sooo much money on meat, b/c I'm eating more. But feeling better, now, feeling less clogged up from slow metabolism. Day 17, so I didnt expect to have that detox feeling. But if it comes back, I will go for some salt water flushes to take off the water weight. Because that's what it felt like, cells holding onto toxins and causing fluid retention.

Well!!! I did quite a bit of housework, today! Quite a change from too tired to do anything, after work, toddler, and cooking. I had just let the house go, too fatigued to do it all. Now, granted, I had help... But I did it! I hope this signifies a new level of energy. I hope, I hope, I hope...

Hey, peeps, any idea how many "palms" are in a pound of meat? Now that Hubby is home, I'm trying to estimate how much meat I'll be buying. I'm a one-palm person, and expect he is closer to 2 palms... And it's crazy how much money I spent on meat, just for meself and toddler, the past 2 weeks! I can't imagine doubling that, or more... Not sure how we'll manage.

And wouldn't ya know, Hubby brought back Kabardian cheese, from his hometown in southern Russia... And I can't eat it until August :( But he also brought back caviar, which I can eat! I had it on slices of cucumber ;)

I don't know, Amy, it just starts to feel sore and my throat feels constricted. It's a sensation of a lump in my throat. Visually, my neck is bigger at some times than others, but I don't pay too much attention to that, I just know how my throat feels and how those sensations change throughout the day.

I just saw this - thank you for replying! I was hoping you had some insights into palpating the thyroid and telling how inflamed it was. My massage therapist can do that, but I can't tell (or maybe on some level I don't want to, hehe).

Just catching up on your thread right now. Look - you survived two weeks at home alone with a two year old. You dealt with the absence of your husband for that two weeks. And you stayed compliant. Frankly, that's a freakin' festivus miracle, right there. Anything else is (Whole30 compliant) gravy. Really. You did AWESOME. I think your craving the scale and worrying about your weight was probably an easy way to feel some anxiety in a situation that was pretty anxious overall. I don't mean to dimish your concerns about eating and weight, not at all. But I think you did EXTREMELY well to keep compliant and to redirect your worries about the scale and your weight into, well, staying awake and keeping the house from collapsing from two year old induced chaos.

When it comes to meat prices, I think the guideline is to buy the best quality you can afford. I've been eating Whole30/Whole30ish for six months now, and I only just last week found a source of grass fed beef and organic chicken that I can afford. All those months before, I was just buyin' the stuff at the grocery store. And it was OK. Not optimal, perhaps, but not prohibited, and it kept me on program and didn't leave me worried about personal bankruptcy (um, who, me, dramatic?!).

So - you can feel your thyroid, you stayed Whole30 compliant for two weeks without your husband and with a two year old, and you stayed off the scale despite your long-standing belief that eating enough food to fill you up will make you balloon up. I think you're a freakin' rock star and I hope your husband brought you back a superhero cape along with that caviar. Superhero capes are totally Whole30 compliant. Booyaa!

Archived