Were you a kale/chard hater before Whole30?

ldmd

I'm starting my first Whole30 tomorrow and while I love many vegetables, I've never liked kale or chard. Does anyone have a recipe that turned them from a hater to a lover (or at least tolerator) of kale or chard? Thanks!

• Moderators

Kale and chard needs to be splashed with apple cider vinegar and maybe a little balsamic vinegar to become good. Here is my best kale or chard recipe... rinse the greens and tear into bite-size strips. Heat a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Melt a tablespoon of ghee or coconut oil in the wok. Add a big handful of chopped onion. Season with a little salt and garlic powder. Let cook about 5 minutes until soft. Throw greens on top of cooking onions. Season with a dusting of salt, garlic powder, and a little cayenne pepper or Chinese five spice powder. Add a generous splash or two of apple cider vinegar. Add a small handful of dried cranberries. Cover the wok and let everything wilt and heat through for at least 5 minutes. If you are really into it, chop half of a Granny Smith apple into small pieces. After the kale/chard is cooked, move to a plate and add a handful of chopped apple.

Most of the time, I don't bother with the apple or the dried cranberries. Sometimes I add a splash of pomegranate infused balsamic vinegar for sweetness. The cook I learned this trick from recommends champagne vinegar. I've never tried it, but I am sure it is good.

This actually sounds good! Thanks, Tom, I'm definitely trying this tomorrow. I have some green garlic from my CSA so I'll throw that in instead of using garlic powder.

Thank you thank you thank you!

I only gave chard and kale a try a week or 2 ago to see if it would be viable for me during the whole30. Tried them both raw, and wasn't a fan. However...

Kale chips are awesome. lightly toss in olive oil and salt and bake for 13-15 minutes. Crispy and delicious. I don't think it is SWYPO because I view it as it's own entity, not really a replacement for anything.

Chard I liked wilted in a pan with coconut oil.

Both are good to wilt slightly then toss in some eggs with whatever else for an omelet or scramble. I find it mutes the flavour a lot if you still want to get in your veg and the nutrients without the strong taste.

Thanks, angekfire. I agree on the SWYPO element, I would never view kale chips that way, though sweet potato chips might be deadly for me.

I roasted some mushrooms in coconut oil when I was prepping ahead for May 1 and I couldn't believe how delicious they were out of the oven. Waaaaay better than when I roast them in olive oil.

I like kale and chard microwaved with some water, then dressed with salt & pepper (the salt is essential in my opinion), and lemon juice and sometimes EV olive oil.

Kale chips are awesome. lightly toss in olive oil and salt and bake for 13-15 minutes. Crispy and delicious. I don't think it is SWYPO because I view it as it's own entity, not really a replacement for anything.

I tried these for the first time yesterday. I will definitely be going back for more. And more. Not immediately, of course. ;)

I can't find a way to enjoy kale and I have tired. Chard, on the other hand, is now one of my go to greens. I usually wilt it in fat with garlic powder and salt. I made it one time with a little coconut milk. I generally eat it with red meat so I throw it in the skillet after I pull the meat out to rest. I have enjoyed baby chard as a salad green mixed with spinach and arugula.

Chard to me is pretty easy. I sauté garlic slivers, remove when brown, sautée chard that has a bit of water from rinsing. Same method as spinach. When you remove the ribs, which I chop into small pieces and sautée, it isn't tough to cook like kale.

I have made kale in soups, but have enjoyed it more in a salad as slw mentioned. Inlike the "baby kale" that's now appearing with the salad mixes. This one is really yummy. http://food52.com/bl...d-anchovy-salad

I tried these for the first time yesterday. I will definitely be going back for more. And more. Not immediately, of course. ;)

If you want to add a kick to them, try adding your favorite seasoning blend to them too. I use homemade taco seasoning and it makes them even more delicious.

My standard kale method: Wash kale and tear into bite-size pieces; discard thick stems. Chop up several slices of bacon and fry it up until nearly crisp, add a chopped onion, cook until transparent. Add washed kale, with water that still clings to the leaves. Stir and cover and cook until desired tenderness. Check occasionally and add a T. of water as needed. Serve with balsamic vinegar and S&P.

Leftovers (rarely at our house): add to shredded sweet potato. Fry up and top with eggs for breakfast.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't like kale until I saw the show Aarti Party on tv. She made a massaged kale salad. I've been making it for my kale hating husband and friends. They love it. It has honey, so it's not whole30 compliant. You massage the kale pieces with salt, olive oil, and half a juiced lemon for five minutes. Add mango, toasted pepitas, and a dressing of lemon juice, honey, and olive oil. It's so good.

I also like kale if its in a soup. I find kale chips to be ok. Edible but not my favorite.

Archived