Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

Sara - I have tried mixing them but don't remember if it sat better or not.  It's a huge pain to grind up venison because it gums up my machine.  I've already told husband that when they can't do the deer at his dad's anymore, he'll have to take it to a processor because it's NOT being done in my garage.  Maybe then, we can have it professionally ground up and I'll be able to handle it better?  I just can't even handle the smell.  Ugh.  When I was pregnant, I'd have to leave the house it made me so naseous.

Last night at yoga, we worked on tripod headstand and I think I'm just about there.  I don't know why, as I've been able to do a regular headstand for a long time, but I just couldn't figure out how to do the tripod.  I always felt like my neck was getting too scrunched up.  But, I think I figured it out!  I love when I "get" a new pose.  Sometimes you have to just accidentally get it and then your body knows what to do.  So fun!

Tummy is better.  I'm super tired this week, though.  I'm not sure why.  I have been sleeping fine, I think, and not staying up too late.  I'm just dragging.  Work is stressful, but that's not new.  Tonight, nobody has anything - no kid activities, no husband meetings, no yoga - so I'm going to relax and get to bed early.  I've also been taking vitC and zinc just in case.  13yo just got over a cold and 10yo just started one.   

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, that's entirely different!!!  I told my husband that any game must come to me looking like it came from a grocery store.  I don't care who does the processing, as long as it isn't me!

So exciting to get a new pose!  I'm still having lots of loss of balance and a have even had a couple face plants!

Sounds like you might be fighting a cold, hope you are successful.

Happy Monday!  We had a nice weekend.  It was COLD, though.  I made it to 2 great yoga classes and saw a play with my aunt.  I had to work some, but not too much.

The tired / feeling weird thing didn't turn into anything except a bit of a runny nose.  I threw everything at it (vitc, zinc, oregano oil, ACV tea, spicy broth, humidifier, etc) and was able hold it off for the most part.

I indulged on Valentine's Day.  I made PaleOMG's almond butter blondies.  They were very good.  It was worth it because: it was fun to make one of the Paleo desserts I always see online but never get to make, it was fun to share a special treat with my family, it tasted good, I didn't go back for more sweets and got back on track right away. The downside was that my portion was too big and I felt a bit ill.  Next time, serve myself up a smaller portion and exercise some will power.  So, exception 1.  Otherwise, it's NS26 today.  That's pretty good. 

Between the AB blondies/too much dessert on Saturday and then cashews yesterday (they taste so good in stir fry!), I'm a bit bloated.  But, I know it will pass.  And starting Wed, no nut butters for Lent.  That will be an interesting challenge for me.  I've done well giving up sugar for long stretches, but have not yet been successful at avoiding the nut butters for any length of time.  This is my chance to break a few more bad habits. 

Have a great week, everybody!

SUCH a great idea about the nut butter!  I have gone through periods where I cut the nuts/nut butters too but never tried it for Lent.  I would actually think about joining you but I really struggle with protein options on the meatless days and feel like I need my nuts then!

Join me anyway and force yourself to think of something else (HB eggs? Greek yogurt if it agrees with you and you aren't doing W30?)!  Though, I'm not actually giving up nuts, just nut butters.  I don't eat nuts normally so it's not usually an issue.  (my issue is trail mix, not nuts themselves and that's out with NS, anyway)  And I didn't want to include it because I have some leftover Thai that has cashews in it and don't want it languishing in the freezer that long.  I won't add MORE cashews, though. :D  The thing I have a hard time with is dipping things (including spoons) into nutbutters.  That will take effort and attention and be a sacrifice for me.

I'm hanging in there.  Work is SO STRESSFUL right now. I was working until midnight Tues night (not my choice) so I'm trying to catch up on sleep and my back hurts. I think from sitting in a less than stellar chair from 630am to midnight on Tues (worked at home).  Still NS though I got into the nut butter Tues night (1. work stress and up late made me hungry/snacky and 2. Lent starting Wed was kind of a last blast thing - not happy about it but moving on).  I didn't lick the knife when making 10yo's lunch sandwich this morning, so off to a good start! LOL

Good start, Jen!  It is very hard not to get into that, well it's the last night mentality, you know I feel you on that one!

Sorry to hear you are so stressed at work and about your back.  At lunchtime everyday, I've been forcing myself to do a quick yoga for the desk routine and it has really helped my neck/back.  I know it is hard to make the time when you are so busy, but maybe it will help make you more productive if you take those little breaks.

I've been off the NBs for a little while, I'm going to try to keep that up.  Although for Lent, I decided not to give something up, but to try hard not to be an @$$hole!  :o   I let myself slip back into my negative judgmental ways particularly when driving.  So I'm working on that for Lent.

Happy Monday.  I'm hanging in over here.  Freezing.  But, just kind of keepin' on, which is exactly where I want to be.  Food and weight are in check.  NS and NNB still going strong.  We had a nice weekend.  Plenty of yoga and time for errands, cooking, reading, laundry, etc.  We had one soccer game and a few other kid things to run around to, but nothing too taxing.  We went to a fundraising dinner Sat night and, though I had some wine, I avoided the bread basket and the dessert with no problems and got right back on track with normal eating on Sunday.  It's nice not to have much to say. :)  It'll be another stressful week at work.  Probably 2 more weeks and then hopefully it will calm down.  Fingers crossed.

Nothing to report is good. It means all is calm.

Hope your week of work stress didn't upset that too much. Was reading older posts about all of your new yoga poses. Yay! That is something I miss about going to a regular class, that feeling of progress and learning new things. It is definitely a feeling of accomplishment to get a new pose--especially when your body just *does it* after a bunch of straining and pushing yourself.

Happy Monday!  The week was not calm.  It was super stressful.  I worked way too much, went to yoga way too little (not at all) and opened a bottle of wine that I nursed all week.  Not the healthiest.  But, I kept my calm for the most part - stayed calm at work, may have lost it with 10yo yesterday.  :(  This week shouldn't be as bad, but will still be hectic.  Then, it should go back to normal.  Whatever that is.

Food has been calm and normal.  No sweets.  No nutbutters.  I was very tempted by a dessert at the scout banquet Friday night.  13yo thought it was weird that I was happy that the dessert I wanted was gone before I could get any.  :P

I made it to yoga only Sat and Sun, but they were both killer workouts, so I'm happy about that.  I'm determined to do better this week and am planning on going tonight for sure not matter what! 

I made Singapore Coffee Ribs from Paleo Mom on Sat night.  The boys liked them but didn't think the work was worth it, but I liked them better than just grilling them.  Last night I made a creamy cajun chicken stew that was super yummy.  I used almond meal instead of flour and skipped the pasta.  It was fun to cook.  It's been a while.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Sorry you lost it. THat just feels so awful. At the in-laws last week we had two days with my nephews who have very very few boundaries or rules and it was impossible. I felt like I spent 48 scolding my son. Hated it and felt so crummy afterwards. We saw the therapist Tues and right now we are in a "reinforce and reward" step, where we just ignore the annoying stuff and heap praise for good stuff. I know I have read this before in books but for some reason it's sticking (and also now my husband is following suit...) and making a big difference.

It does feel good to cook after a hiatus. If only we could hold onto that good feeling. :)

• Moderators

Hooray for no sweets and nutbutters despite all the stress. Huge victory!

Your new dishes sound excellent. I hate it when it doesn't feel like it was worth the effort, though.

And leave it to a 13yo boy to elucidate the madness of our chosen lifestyle.

Well, another crazy week!  I'm so glad it's almost over.  Things *should* go back to normalish around here now.  I've done fairly well this week - got to yoga a couple times, ate mostly good food (though brussels sprouts one night and our happy pig bacon another both had me bloated - so sad when "approved" foods leave you feeling less than great).  Just one glass of wine at a happy hour to celebrate surviving the last few weeks.  So, overall, much better than last week. 

We're headed out tomorrow for a long weekend skiing for part of Spring Break and I took the rest of the week off to recharge.  I plan to enjoy time with family, get in plenty of yoga, and eat normal healthy foods.  I don't plan to *celebrate* vacation with junk.  For the weekend, we have a suite with a kitchen so I will be bringing food and eating most of my meals per usual.  We'll probably go out once or twice, but it's better than eating out 3x a day for the entire time.  Plan is no sweets, no nutbutters, no alchohol, no junk.  To save on meal prep time, I'm going to bring prepared meals of hb eggs/massaged kale/swpot for breakfasts and curry tuna salad for lunches.  I'm looking forward to relaxing.  Unfortunately, there is no yoga up on the Iron Range in MN.  Maybe I'll bring my mat anyway and do something on my own. 

Have a great weekend!

• Moderators

Sounds like a great time, Jen! And your pre-planning will no doubt keep you humming right along. I think we're all inspired by Sara's yoga streak. I say bring that mat and do yourself some good even if it's just a few minutes of yoga each day.

Also, I've realized that all cabbages give me toots, too. Makes me sad because I love them so! I'll still eat them when I don't have to be in others' company, though. . . .  :ph34r:

Hope you had a fantastic weekend away and got in some yoga on your own.  And with your craziness lately, I'm sure a week off is much needed.

And I'm with LadyM, the cabbages are rough on my stomach and definitely leave me feeling bloated.  So even though I love roasted brussel sprouts, just not worth the yucky feeling.

I'm back!  I had a wonderful week off work.  The skiing wasn't great because it was too warm, but I'll take warm over snow!  The boys got to ski for 2 days before it got too mushy.  Then, we spent the rest of the week relaxing at home, doing a few fun things, getting stuff done and just not working.  That part was perfect!  I'm actually glad to have had a lot of down time instead of a big vacation.  I went to tons of yoga and got some spring cleaning done.  I was very sorry to have to get up and come to work today.  :(

I did ok with food.  We ate out once.  The boys outvoted me for pizza.  Sigh.  I got veggies and chicken on GF crust with no cheese, but did have a couple bites of the boys' pizza.  And a glass of wine. :D   I also snacked too much on tortilla chips and popcorn.  But, overall, I'm pretty happy with how I did.  Having a kitchenette made a huge difference.  Other than pizza the first night, we ate all of our meals at "home" and so I was able to stick to mostly good choices.  I made a pie for pi day and so had my 2nd NS exception.  Other than that, I avoided sweets.  And no nut butters. 

I did have some issues with slow digestion that are persisting.  I suppose it's from being out of routine and some offroading.  I'm not letting it get to me and will try to stick to the usual this week and hopefully get that back on track. 

• Moderators

Good for you, Jen! I think you were long overdue for some real R&R. I'm so glad you got it--and that you enjoyed it.

I hope the digestion speeds up a bit as you return to your regular routine. I've been doing a yoga sequence to aid digestion, and of course, it all leads to peacock and has plenty of breath of fire and agni sara. I think it's helping quite a bit. Ayurveda is all about worshiping agni, or digestive fire, and I'm all for it. Still playing with some legumes. The lentils and mung beans seem to be a go, and they're doing good things for my, ahem, elimination. Here's to you finding what works for you, too!

• Moderators

My biggest hurdle with peacock is that my breasts get in the way. But I can work around them OK with the help of a strap around my upper arms just above my elbows. I can even lift up my head and legs simultaneously that way--though I can't maintain it for any stretch of time. That's why it's a practice, no?

Archived