Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

:)  I'll let you know if it's good.  The recipe calls for grilling the avocado halves a bit.  Sounds yum! 

We get a case of Alaskan salmon every year which is so nice to have in the freezer if you have room.  It's quick to cook, too.  It's my favorite protein.  I grew up on Lake Superior where we'd drag our little aluminum boat down the beach to go catch salmon for dinner all summer long.  I miss that.  Well, I don't actually miss fishing.  But, I miss the super fresh salmon.  My dad took the boys salmon fishing on a charter boat last summer and they had a blast and brought a bunch home for the freezer.  They are trying to find a time to do that again this summer. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I could bring you some, Beets! 

Crab salad in avocados was just ok.  I think I prefer cold avocados to warm squishy ones.  But, the crab salad was good.  I also ate some nuts, though, just because husband brought them home, so not the best slightly lower fat day.  Oh well.

Tonight, I have a spontaneously planned girls happy hour.  Not sure quite what I'll do.  I'm low on veg (shopping day is tomorrow) but if I can get to the store, maybe I'll bring some carrots and celery sticks to dip in the salsa.  I don't really want to eat chips but worry that I will just because they're there if I don't have something to occupy my hands.  I might have a margarita or might just bring kombucha.  We'll see how I feel.

I planked!  I got to 3min30sec and stopped because I just didn't feel like trying for more. 

Thank God someone said it, warm avocados are weeeeeird. I remember I made eggs baked in avocados and I could not eat it.

Yay planker Jen, leading our pack. Note to self - go plank. 

Make plantain chips? Easy and chips resembling. 

Ugh...need to get back on the wagon. I'm teaching CX today so there will be hovers (planks on elbows) a plenty. And alligator pushups. And all the evil core things. Hovers in BP tonight too. What was I thinking. ;)

Thank God someone said it, warm avocados are weeeeeird. I remember I made eggs baked in avocados and I could not eat it.

Make plantain chips? Easy and chips resembling. 

I have some Trader Joe's plantain chips I could bring if I'm in the mood.  Good idea.

• Moderators

I have some Trader Joe's plantain chips I could bring if I'm in the mood.  Good idea.

I have to keep these out of the house! I've been doing better with making baked tostones one plantain at a time. Makes 10-12 giant "chips" which are dangerous enough. But at least there's not a bag of them calling to me from the pantry. . . .  :P  But it sounds like the perfect solution for your outing--and you can even share them!

Sounds like cold crab salad in avocado halves might be a better way to go. I agree: I just don't see the need to cook avocados. I feel that way about most fruits. They're so good eaten as they come, why mess with a good thing?

My tummy was a bit off yesterday (blame the nuts, even though it wasn't really that many) so I didn't eat or drink anything at happy hour and it was fine.  I really didn't want a sticky sweet margarita anyway.  I brought a bottle of kombucha and enjoyed the company without the drink and without digging into any of the chips and salsa.   

M - those chips are ok for me when I'm in a situation where people are eating chips and dip and I want something other than corn chips to keep myself busy.  But, they aren't addictive for me so I'm ok keeping some in the house for chip/salsa emergencies. LOL  I love those tostones, too!  I haven't made them forever, though.  Grilled avocado halves sounded delicious.  But, they just weren't.

Yep - I thought it was a bit of a blessing in disguise, too.  I really didn't want drinks and chips, but wasn't sure I'd be strong enough to resist the peer pressure.

So, the weekend has some challenges to healthy eating.  Eating out twice with family and a grad party.  My plan is to just make the best choice I can hopefully eating something delicious and healthy.  I'll likely just not eat at the grad party as it's right after an early Father's Day brunch with my dad/sibs and so I won't be hungry anyway.  I'll probably have a glass of wine at dinner out Sat night.  Because I want to, as opposed to last night when I didn't want to.  It's all about making choices.

Weekend was good.  I made good choices.  We didn't go to the place I thought we would for dinner (which would have involved sweet potato fries!) so that was probably good.  I got a salad with salmon and enjoyed a glass of wine.  Brunch was a buffet so I was able to eat eggs and salad and was very happy, though stuffed - portion control is tough at buffets, even when just eating eggs and salad.  Happy to have avoided with really no desire the desserts and muffins and waffles and all that.  And was so not hungry at the grad party so no temptation there.  All good!  Yummy food, nice time with family and still feel good.  :wub:

And, the weather was beautiful!  So summery yesterday.  We got storms and rain both nights, but the days were nice.  That just makes everything better. 

All good!  Yummy food, nice time with family and still feel good.  :wub:

And, the weather was beautiful!  So summery yesterday.  We got storms and rain both nights, but the days were nice.  That just makes everything better. 

So happy you had a great weekend with family.  And I agree on the weather, beautiful sunny days help me to feel good.  Yesterday was gorgeous here too.

Happiness is a perfect avocado!  Yesterday's lunch avocado was perfectly green with no hint of brown spots and yet so soft and creamy.  Yum!  Apparently, it doesn't take much to make me happy. :D

Otherwise, just hanging in here.  Enjoying the nice summer weather this week.  A little bloat-y from eating broccoli (so sad) but don't regret eating it and know it will go away soon.  Went to hot yoga despite the 90 degree weather.  Great class!  After class the teacher showed me a new trick with a strap to help do a stronger firefly.  Super fun!

Happy Monday!  We had a nice weekend.  I had a friend and her daughter come visit for 2 nights.  We took the kids to the zoo.  13yo was offended at having to do something so babyish, but the other kids had fun.  :rolleyes:   I had wine both nights.  It was a being a good hostess thing.  I was perfectly fine skipping it at a restaurant on girls night a while back, but as hostess, felt obligated to join my friend.  Oh well.  It wasn't even a kind I really like.  I didn't have that much.  Dealing with social pressure, even put on by myself, is a work in progress, I guess. Otherwise, I did fine.  No sweets.  No treats at the zoo.  And I didn't really care.  That's nice. 

I can't say I'm doing great at the slightly lower fat thing.  I like fat.  I'm trying to not add more than is part of the meal, though, so maybe it's less?  Not sure.  I'll keep working on it.  Not having to pack lunch for 10yo each morning eliminates the daily lick of the sunbutter knife, so that's something. :P

• Moderators

Oh, Jen, I hear you on the wine. I broke my streak over the weekend for the very same reason: to be a good host. It was pretty nice to relax and enjoy a couple glasses of wine, but man did it hit me hard. No question that it's toxic and to be reserved for only the very rarest occasions for me. But I don't regret being a good host. It was the right thing to do--for me. And now I feel I can get back on the wagon with renewed interest in continuing to feel as good and become as healthy as possible.

I can't say I'm doing great at the slightly lower fat thing.  I like fat.  I'm trying to not add more than is part of the meal, though, so maybe it's less?  

Well, this is good information, right? I think it's progress, too, and not just because of the greater awareness.

I agree that it's nice to relax with a glass of wine.  I was annoyed at myself, though, because I didn't feel like a glass of wine and it was wine I don't even like but I drank it anyway just so my friend didn't feel uncomfortable.  She didn't say she'd be uncomfortable.  I was just projecting how I'd feel, I guess.  Maybe next time, I'll open a bottle I like even if it means 1/2 of two bottles will be wasted!  Life's too short to drink cheap prosecco! :D  But, I, too, don't regret being a good host.

I had a very low fat dinner last night (chicken sausage does not have much fat it it and didn't add any) and was pretty hungry when I got home from yoga/watching soccer so had a snack.  Good information for my experiment, I guess.

Note to self: I do NOT want the oh so pretty cake in the break room.  I'm sure it's a stale, dry, sugar bomb that doesn't taste nearly as good as it looks and it will make me feel icky.  I do NOT want it.  Even though it's pretty.

• Moderators

Definitely not worth risking wasting one of your NS exceptions on questionable cake! And life is way too short to drink cheap prosecco!

Good information, yes. I'm keenly observing your experiment unfold.

Archived