Planning the week ahead with avocados

As I plan my upcoming W30 journey, I'm planning on incorporating 1/2 avocado into my breakfast on most, if not all mornings as my fat, and occasionally mashed with tuna to make a tuna salad for lunch. My question is, how do I store the leftover 1/2 avocado to keep it from browning/going bad, if I don't get to it until the next day?

my mother in law swears that if you leave the pit in they won't turn brown, so I usually eat the half that comes off pit free and store the other half in a dish in the fridge. It browns a bit but you can scrape that thin layer off when you're ready to eat it. She uses the pit trick when she makes guac too, I have no idea if it works but who am I to argue with a little Mexican lady??

I slice out a 1/4 or 1/2 at a time. I leave the pit but never noticed it preventing browning. I put mine in a Pyrex dish with a lid with other in process veggie bits (halves of red onions, peppers, etc.) or alone. It still browns a bit but not so I will lose 1/8 of an avocado scraping unappetizing brown.

If I have lemon or lime cut I run a few drops of that on the exposed edge which also helps. Press n seal works great but I'm trying to wean myself off that.

Not sure what happened w me and avocados. I used to eat them a few times a week. All of a sudden, I couldn't tolerate them. major stomach pains. Thought it was my gallbladder, but nothing else bothers it!

So yes, I'm envious of you guys enjoying them :)

Not sure what happened w me and avocados. I used to eat them a few times a week. All of a sudden, I couldn't tolerate them. major stomach pains. Thought it was my gallbladder, but nothing else bothers it!

So yes, I'm envious of you guys enjoying them :)

Have you had your gallbladder removed? My sister had hers removed and can't tolerate avocado anymore.

I got fed up trying to keep avocados from going brown. I've tried lemon juice, rubbing them with oil, keeping the pit in, baggint them tighylu, the avocado saver - everything. Now I just buy baby avocados and eat a whole one at a time :wub:

I got fed up trying to keep avocados from going brown. I've tried lemon juice, rubbing them with oil, keeping the pit in, baggint them tighylu, the avocado saver - everything. Now I just buy baby avocados and eat a whole one at a time

Funny you should say that Kirsteen. I always go for medium or large. The babies were on sale so I bought a few. It was so fun to put both halves of a perfect avo on my dinner plate last night. I will always look for the small ones now unless I have to share. :)

I personally don't care if it's brown or not too. But if you are bothered with brown part there are avocado savers in stores :)

I have one of these (my very practical mother-in-law gave it to me). I like avocadoes so much that a stray half will rarely make it to the saver. Pity they're so expensive in Australia at the moment! :/

I'm sure we do, I just haven't figured out what that is yet! Western Australia is pretty spendy though, Perth is so isolated I'm sure we get stung with extra transportation costs on some things.

I grew up eating avocados as a dessert (my mum would sprinkle sugar on them - apparently that's how you do it in Malaysia where she grew up). Fortunately I like them plain as well :)

Archived