Satisfying fats

I made roasted chicken thighs and legs with the skin on, used olive oil, chopped onion, fresh rosemary, sage, and thyme. It made the house smell like heaven and was delicious! Makes great left-overs too. I was really happy with how it left me feeling so satisfied (with a healthy serving of steamed veggies on the side). It seems the chicken fat with olive oil is another option for helping with keeping cravings at bay.

I have also been including half an avocado with almost every lunch, and this morning I enjoyed a couple of slices of liverwurst (a lovely high fat sausage that is more like a pate).

Any other great healthy fat suggestions?

• Moderators

Speaking of liver, I eat a quarter pound slice of calves liver every week. Here is a recipe that reflects most of how I make it: http://www.wholelife...oes-and-onions/

Recently, I began adding a big handful of cashews on top of the liver, onions, and diced tomatoes. I scatter them on top and let them cook with everything so they are not very crunchy when I eat them. The nuts add more fat to the meal and a nice contrast to the other ingredients.

I also just discovered chicken liver. A pound of chicken liver only costs like $2.50. I cooked some chopped onions until soft, added a big bunch of fresh greens with some apple cider vinegar and spices, about 1/3 of a pound of chicken livers, and a handful of dried cranberries. Let that cook about 6 minutes until the greens are wilted and the livers are cooked through. Great meal with good fat content.

When I am not eating liver, I go for avocados, green olives, and home made mayonnaise.

My all time favourites are beef tallow and coconut oil. I never met the food that wasn't improved with coconut oil :) and last night I had sliced brisket with sweet potato cubes and brussel sprouts that had been sauted in beef tallow - oh the flavour the tallow adds was exquisite. I never thought I'd literally drool over brussel sprouts :wub:

I could eat my home-made mayo plain. I often heat up my pre-browned ground beef and stir in a couple of tablespoons of mayo and eat that over a bed of wilted greens. The creamy fat plus the salty beef is heavenly. I try to follow the meal-planning template, but I always eat at least three fat servings per meal.

My new favorite fat source is coconut butter. I have eaten it on a spoon and also melted and drizzled over plantains. It's one of those foods that are so delicious I almost can't believe it's compliant :) but it is actually really nutritious.

Yummy - everyone's suggestions sound delish!

I used homemade mayo and made homemade ranch dressing (from Well Fed) and have been having that in taco salads, minus the shell. That has been superb!

My new favorite fat source is coconut butter. I have eaten it on a spoon and also melted and drizzled over plantains. It's one of those foods that are so delicious I almost can't believe it's compliant :) but it is actually really nutritious.

Coconut butter is also good inside baked acorn squash. Omnomnom!

Ooh, tell me more about this coconut butter acorn squash deliciousness!!

The recipe is in Practical Paleo but it is really pretty simple. Cut an acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds/goop...roast it in the oven until it is soft and than add some coconut butter to the inside. I sprinkle with cinnamon and sea salt and add some raisins too. One half makes a very satisfying breakfast with a side of bacon or sausage. I've also eaten it as a side dish to my meat.

Can you find just duck fat or tallow at the market?

Some stores carry them but if you cant find them www.fatworks.com has tallow from grass fed beef and rendered duck fat from pastured ducks. I highly reccommend them. A great bunch of people. If you "like" them on FB, you will find a 10% discount on one of their posts. I think the code is Divine Miss D to celebrate the launch of the duck fat. Geeze...I sound like a commercial. I do not receive anything for promoting them. :0)

I have found duck fat in a few places - fairway markets (mostly northeast), speciality butchers, us wellness (link on whole 30 resource page).

I will have to check out fatworks, never heard of it before - thanks

Some stores carry them but if you cant find them www.fatworks.com has tallow from grass fed beef and rendered duck fat from pastured ducks. I highly reccommend them. A great bunch of people. If you "like" them on FB, you will find a 10% discount on one of their posts. I think the code is Divine Miss D to celebrate the launch of the duck fat. Geeze...I sound like a commercial. I do not receive anything for promoting them. :0)

Didn't find this fatworks website, but I did find them on Facebook. I ordered a jar of the tallow and duck fat - can't wait!

I also tried to locate coconut butter at my local organic market. They directed me to a tub of some weird concoction of canola oil and coconut oil. eww! :wacko: But I did find cocunut butter on Amazon and am waiting for that to arrive as well. Who knew that eating healthy could be so yummy! ^_^

Didn't find this fatworks website, but I did find them on Facebook. I ordered a jar of the tallow and duck fat - can't wait!

I also tried to locate coconut butter at my local organic market. They directed me to a tub of some weird concoction of canola oil and coconut oil. eww! But I did find cocunut butter on Amazon and am waiting for that to arrive as well. Who knew that eating healthy could be so yummy!

Oh sorry Kaiser. Weird about the website. I am sure I ordered from it and then found them on FB. I know they dumped their original website company (ISP?) because of issues. Glad you figured it out. Cant wait to try the duck. Must order. :0)

Archived