Whole 30 on a TIGHT Budget

Vincentparty0f4

I am on a pretty tight budget.  What are the most cost friendly things you recommend to use as staples during the Whole 30?  Thanks!

Check out  http://whole30.com/2011/01/paleo-poor-your-guide-to-the-grocery-store/. I find ground beef, chicken and eggs are the most cost friendly for me and seasonal vegetables and fruits. Frozen veggies are great because they last a long time and are quick to add to your meals.

honestly, and some people might not agree - but if you are on a tight budget then the whole buying grass-fed /organic goes out the window.  try to buy cheap meat in bulk, usually the fattier ones are cheaper.  pork shoulder, chuck, etc.   my grocery store sometimes have meats on sale - I look for that all the time.

buy veggies frozen, if they arent a good price in the produce aisle.

meal plan - make a large amount of food for a week.  you can roast a whole chicken with veggies  for under $15, and eat that all week for lunch (thats what I do).

I do a lot of shopping around between the different shops in my area.

I only buy the cheap veg when on a budget.

I always check the shelves where they put all the veg and meat that's reached its best before date.

And lots of eggs as they're 10p each.  

Tins of tuna or sardines or mackerel if any of those are cheap for you.

None of the fancy paleo stuff like sunbutter.  And don't run out and buy loads of spices, work on increasing your collection slowly.  

Do you usually throw out some food that's gone off at the end of the week?  If so, better meal planning can save you money there.

I highly recommend finding out when your local market marks down meat. My store marks it down Sunday morning by putting a coupon on it, and if you get there early-ish you can get some great deals. I don't have a tight budget and still hit the store on Sun morning as often as possible because really, why pay more? It's still completely fine, especially if you're doing a cook up that day or freezing it for later. 

I stick to ground beef and chicken thighs for the majority of meals. Over time I've figured out which stores are having sales when and I stock up at those times. My shopping this week, Target was having a great sale on ground beef - even their grass fed was on sale. I stocked up on about a months worth. I go through about 2lbs a week, mixing 1:1 grass fed and their natural brand. Next week or the week after their chicken should be on sale and I'll stock up then. It's also almost time for Earth Fare to have their coupon for $2.99 lb for 6lbs of organic chicken breast. My husband and I each take one and get 12lbs, which lasts well over a month. It's doable, you just have to be strategic. :)

And don't run out and buy loads of spices, work on increasing your collection slowly.  

Also, try to find a grocery store that has spices in bulk...I bought 4 different spices yesterday at Whole Foods for less fifty cents each! Those same spices would be $3.00 for a tiny little canister at the big market.  The other benefit is that you can buy less of them more frequently which keeps them fresher tasting.

For me, the biggest issue was that FIRST shopping trip...it is hard to shop on Saturday morning for a WEEKS worth of food when you blew your budget eating lunch and dinner out!  Once you get in the habit of cooking and eating your own groceries, you will be pleasantly surprised at the bank account. 

And don't even get me started on not buying VODKA and mixers!  LOL...that can be worth three days groceries right there

Archived