amykim

(Over)sensitivity after whole 30?

7 posts in this topic

Hi there, I am at the re-introduction phase and having issues with almost all of the food I didn't have during the whole 30!   

When I reintroduced wheat and soy (wheat, then soy), I had allergic reactions: hives, itchiness, and even throat-closing (I was almost getting Epipen!). Prior to the whole 30, I have no problem with wheat or soy, other than minor digestion issues. Sugar gave me a migraine (wasn't able to work for a half day). Rice, which was introduced the first even before wheat and soy, turned out to be OK, although I had a bit of bloating and tiredness. I feel like I am "oversensitive" to the food that I didn't have during the whole 30. 

At the post-whole 30, has anyone experienced allergic reactions (or allergy-like symptoms) to the food that you used to be OK with?

If you didn't have an intolerance before, I don't know if you could just develop an intolerance to all of it in one month. I think your body might not be used to eating it and you may simply need to ease back into those foods before you can tolerate them again.

I'm curious about this as well because I know someone who didn't have any issues with canola oil until she cut it out of her diet and accidentally ate it again. She had a bad reaction.

So far I have only reintroduced a couple things since my 30 ended 4/22 and with rice I felt like an alien was trying to claw it's way from my stomach. I was visibly puffy and my wedding rings got tight.  And it was brown rice too! Pre-whole 30 I would crave starch and just eat a bowl of rice no problem. But I had a gf roll with homemade apple butter before that and was fine. Since then I haven't tried anything else since I'm so scared and that was on 4/29. 

The way it's been explained to me is that when you're regularly eating things that are irritants, your gut develops a mucosal lining to help limit the irritation. When you cut those irritants out, that goes away, and then when you reintroduce those items, you're starting over from scratch with no lining to protect you.

Another explanation I've seen, more an illustration of what's happening, is -- say someone is following you around, constantly poking you in the arm in the same spot, over and over, all day, every day -- at first it hurts, it's annoying, but over time you get used to it, that spot may get calloused or hardened so it doesn't hurt as much. Then one day the person who has been doing this goes on vacation for a month. You realize how much better you feel when no one is poking you in the arm all the time, the callous may go away, any bruising heals up. And then that month vacation is over, and they come back and start up again, and it hurts and it takes some time for the callous to develop again, but eventually you get used to it again. 

@Wunderwuman1022 brown rice is actually more problematic than white rice for many people. Brown rice contains phytic acid that is removed in the processing of white rice, which can cause inflammation in many people. If you really want brown rice, you might look into fermenting it, a process that is explained here: http://holisticsquid.com/is-white-rice-bad-for-you/  

Healthierj likes this

I have a similar issue!

I have had psoriasis, an autoimmune disease, almost my whole life.  During the Whole 30, my skin almost entirely cleared up! It was amazing, and I couldn't believe my eyes!

After the Whole 30, I noticed when I ate dairy, or sugar, my eyelid, and the back of my ear would get really crusty and start to weep!! I've never had an issue like that before!! I still don't completely understand it but I did realize though when I cut those back out of my diet, my ear and eyelid would start to heal. 

I feel as if after the Whole 30, I've become a lot more sensitive to foods that I was eating before with no issues. It's unfortunate, because now I really have to watch what I eat all the time. Any slip up, will cause a reaction.  I really wish someone could explain why that happens, but at least I know how to fix it...

I am experiencing the same thing! I haven't introduced gluten yet because I'm just don't want to feel bad. It was diary that got me the worst. So, do we cut these foods out all together or tough it out until the tolerance builds back up?