VERY bloated

Hi. I am only on day 3 of my whole30 and already need some help. I am unbelievably bloated! It looks like there is a ball under my shirt. My stomach doesn't look as bad when I first wake up in the morning, but by bedtime is so distended. I feel more uncomfortable now than I did prior to starting. I was a bit bloated prior to beginning but thought it was due to grains. Is this normal? And what can I do? Thank you very much for your thoughts.

That is not uncommon in the beginning especially depending on how much you are changing your foods. Can you give us a snapshot of what you are eating? If nuts and fruit are a large part of your foods, those can be little trouble causers.

A typical day so far has been breakfast: 3 egg scramble with spinach and mushrooms, olive oil for fat, black coffee. Lunch: chicken breast, large mixed green salad with additional veggies like cucumbers, tomatoes. Fat is either black olives or 1/2 avocado. Dinner: 2-3 small sized sweet potatoes with cinnamon or steamed asparagus. Fruits I've had are blackberries and fresh pineapple. Last night I did have one serving of pecans, but my stomach was big prior to that. I've read about magnesium and I have the Nature Calm but it is lemon flavor with organic stevia-that's a no no right?

Thank you again. This is awful:(

Your meals sound good with the exception of dinner. 2-3 sweet potatoes with no protein? I think you just didn't put the protein in your reply. :)

I think you are just going through an adjustment period. Not sure Natural Calm would help. Probiotics are often recommended. Maybe do a search to see which brand people are taking. You can also drink Kombucha and eat fermented veggies like sauerkraut to get some good bacteria going. Just be sure it's raw and doesn't have nasties added to it.

I have not had this problem except an occasional gurgley stomache the first time I did a W30, but I think others will chime in with some ideas.

Susan thank you. I did have chicken for dinner-sorry about that. I will keep my fingers crossed that the bloating will subside. It is uncomfortable and I feel (for a lack of a better word) gross.

• Moderators

If you are eating a lot more meat now than you were before starting the Whole30, you might be bloating with digestion problems. People who are not used to eating much meat or fat may not have all the gut bacteria they need to digest everything well. You might benefit from taking a digestive enzyme like Now Foods Super Enzymes for a while as your body adjusts.

Thank you Tom. I will admit that prior to this I did not eat much of anything that was healthy. I did not eat breakfast, would eat "lunch" which was a diet coke, greek yogurt and maybe something else. Dinner was not much and then the snacking ensued. I was a big candy eater. I would say that I have eaten more proteins in the last three days than in a very long time-as well as fruits and veggies. Should I take the enzymes prior to each meal?

I appreciate the feedback.

To add-I did not eat any veggies on a regular basis. Currently I am getting most of my veggies in uncooked. Should I change that?

Yes, I would start with cooked veggies and add a little raw after your stomache settles down.

• Moderators

Thank you Tom. I will admit that prior to this I did not eat much of anything that was healthy. I did not eat breakfast, would eat "lunch" which was a diet coke, greek yogurt and maybe something else. Dinner was not much and then the snacking ensued. I was a big candy eater. I would say that I have eaten more proteins in the last three days than in a very long time-as well as fruits and veggies. Should I take the enzymes prior to each meal?

I appreciate the feedback.

Yes, taking the digestive enzymes before each meal is a good idea. I would start with the number advised on the label, but have heard advice from competent authorities to add a pill/tablet at each meal until you get a warm sensation in your stomach and then stay there for a while. This might involve taking 4 or 5 before each meal. I don't have any personal experience with this because my digestion has always been good. I've taken Super Enzymes, but really more as an experiment than to solve a problem.

What was your vegetable intake before starting W30? A large increase in veggies (especially raw) can cause constipation which can lead to bloating. Any foods you are now eating that you didn't eat before?

Ditto. I highly recommend taking digestive enzymes with meals. Helped me a ton with this issue. My body just didn't know why to do with the sudden influx of veggies. :)

Yes, taking the digestive enzymes before each meal is a good idea. I would start with the number advised on the label, but have heard advice from competent authorities to add a pill/tablet at each meal until you get a warm sensation in your stomach and then stay there for a while. This might involve taking 4 or 5 before each meal. I don't have any personal experience with this because my digestion has always been good. I've taken Super Enzymes, but really more as an experiment than to solve a problem.

I would be careful with that many enzymes - that seems like an awful lot! I am in the process of healing my gut and have been advised only to take 1/2 a tablet before each meal until I build up my digestive fire. I have been told that my system is not strong enough for any more and taking too many enzymes/too much apple cider vinegar can do more harm than good. I'd get the advice of a doctor or naturopath before taking any enzymes. Also I still have to cook most of my veggies, especially broccoli/cauliflower etc.

Archived