Topanga

So I'm making some home-made jerky.

I have liquid smoke from the last time I made jerky, wondered if there is anything horribly wrong with it? I use a few drops with the marinade.

The only ingredients are:

water, natural hickory smoke flavour.

I just have no clue how they capture this flavour in liquid form and if it's actually natural or if it's "natural" so I figured I'd ask.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just had some beef jerky that my husband made in the dehydrator. After I ate it he told me the recipe which includes 1 tsp of liquid smoke in the marinade. I am spitting mad at him because I thought he was doing the Whole30 with me but he isn't really being 100% compliant. The liquid smoke has sugar and soy. Grrrrrrrr.

Does this merit a re-start?

Don't think of it as a restart; think of it as an extension. Don't fly off the wagon and land face-first in cake or anything, but both soy and sugar merit an extension of 30 days from today (or whenever you ate the jerky).

As someone who extended because of a restaurant (AARGH), trust me, I feel your pain. And soon I'll feel yours with a non-Whole 30 hubby home and eating his food, including grains and non-compliant stuff.

I'll let a moderator chime in on the final re-start word, but I actually don't feel the small amount of sugar in one tsp of liquid smoke in a marinade is worth a re-start. Especially since it was unintentional. Now, if you went face first into a cupcake, I'd feel differently. :) As far as the soy, that part stumps me. First, I have no clue why it's there and because it was in the marinade, you probably got the tiniest bit if any. Just an FYI, Wrights Liquid Smoke (you can find it everywhere) has nothing but the smoke and water. It's also the cheapest. I picked up a bottle of Annies thinking it might be better because it was organic and it contained all sorts of junk. Back it went on the shelf.

Archived