Making mayo

PitBullMamaLiz

On day 4 of the W30, and just made my own mayo for the very first time! I used this recipe: http://themeanestmomma.com/2012/03/13/paleo-mayo-2-0/ . I wanted to use half coconut oil and half olive oil, but I wasn't sure I could heat the coconut oil to make it liquid since everything has to be at room temp? Would heating the coconut oil have ruined the mayo? It turned out well, just a very strong olive oil taste - not sure I'll use very much of it but at least I know I can do it. :-)

• Moderators

Coconut oil only needs to get to about 75 or so to be liquid. It doesn't need to be hot. Having it a little warm probably would not cause trouble.

Did you use light olive oil? I made mayo with EVOO once and thought it was too bitter. The light olive oil yields a much better tasting mayo.

No, it was EVOO, so it's pretty strong. My house is only 60 right now (yay for summer! *rolling eyes*) so even 75 would have been significantly warmer than the rest of the ingredients. I believe it's supposed to warm up this week so maybe I'll try again when everything will be liquid at room temp.

Thanks!

You definitely should try it again with light olive oil. Just make sure the one you buy is all olive oil, not a blend of olive and another oil (like canola or vegetable). The mayo in ISWF (the Melissa Joulwan recipe on The Clothes Make the Girl) is sooo easy and has been one of the surprises about my Whole30.

Light olive oil for sure; light, light, light all the way. I use Melissa Joulwan's recipe too:

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

One batch disappears far too quickly chez moi, I've got two eggs sitting in my food processor coming up to room temperature right now! Double batch on the way!

For sure. I'm counting down the days until summer begins on July 5th and I plan to soak up as much sun as I can before monsoon season starts again in September. ;-)

I so agree with July 5th date. :0) My mom and brother live in San Diego so I always fit a trip or three down there to absorb some vitamin D.

Thanks for the tips, all! I'm totally making more. I have to say, I felt kinda bad-ass making my own mayo. It's the little things, LOL.

It sure is! You should have seen the mayo-strut I had going on yesterday! (Made two jars).

• 2 weeks later...

my first attempt to make mayo worked great and now I can't seem to get it right.  I am using 1/2 coconut and 1/2 olive oil. I let everything to get to room temp. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.  its there anyway I can save what i have made.  

• 2 weeks later...

Light olive oil for sure; light, light, light all the way. I use Melissa Joulwan's recipe too:

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

One batch disappears far too quickly chez moi, I've got two eggs sitting in my food processor coming up to room temperature right now! Double batch on the way!

---

How'd the double batch work out? I've been too scared to try, but I don't love making mayo every four days. It's not that hard, but I'd prefer once a week. :P

• 1 month later...

Have you all tried the immersion blender trick? I made mayo last night in 30 seconds and it was awesome! No resting the egg to room temperature and all of that slow drizzling - just put the oil, lemon, spices in a jar, add the egg and let it settle to the bottom. Then just stick the immersion blender in and hold it there on high for 20 seconds, then slowly start lifting it up and blending it all together and "shazaam"! Mayo! I love it!

• 2 weeks later...

Have you all tried the immersion blender trick? I made mayo last night in 30 seconds and it was awesome! No resting the egg to room temperature and all of that slow drizzling - just put the oil, lemon, spices in a jar, add the egg and let it settle to the bottom. Then just stick the immersion blender in and hold it there on high for 20 seconds, then slowly start lifting it up and blending it all together and "shazaam"! Mayo! I love it!

I tried the immersion blender and the mayo is super thick and heavy..like frosting. How do I get a better texture closer to when I make it in the blender?

Archived