coconut milk not firming up in the fridge?

So I made some coconut whipped cream a few nights ago and didn't make a note of what brand of coconut milk I used. I stuck a can of Thai Kitchen organic (full fat) in the fridge last night so I could make some more today, and it separated, but it didn't firm up at all like the previous one did. Do any of you have a particular brand you recommend that always firms up well? I don't understand why there would be such a difference in consistency between two brands, but I guess there is.

The same thing happened to me with a can on Thai Kitchen full fat. At first I though I diddnr leave it in the fridge long enough but I opened a new can this morning and it was firm. I don't know if it was just a bad can.

Interesting, maybe it was just a bad can? It tasted fine, it just didn't firm up. Surprisingly, I found a brand called Golden Star at Walmart (ugh, I hate that place, but when you are poor, you gotta do what ya gotta do.). It has only coconut and water in it - no guar gum. Anyone tried it? Hopefully it tastes as good as the Thai Kitchen.

LimeJuicy -

We have been getting both Golden Star and Thai Kitchen (the Thai Kitchen for when I need it to be firmer). Golden Star is great tasting (to me) but didn't really firm up in the fridge. Lately, though, my Thai Kitchen isn't even firming enough to separate! Perhaps there's been a change in their production process that over-homogenizes the milk?

I've never been able to get Native Forest to firm up. What did work though was chilling it, whipping it until it gets thicker, then putting it back in the fridge overnight. In the morning, I had a more "whipped cream" consistency.

I did have success with Goya firming and whipping, but it tasted awful. We ended up scraping it off our berries. I'll take the Native Forest sauce over the Goya any day.

In my opinion, Native Forest is by far the best tasting...and it is on sale at Vitacost right now for $1.98 a can. If you are a new member, you also get a $10 credit. (If you use this link: http://www.vitacost.com/Referee?wlsrc=rsReferral&ReferralCode=3488913, I'll get a $10 credit too.)

Love all the feedback on this. I may try Native Forest one of these days.

I left the Golden Star in the fridge overnight, and when I opened it tonight, it was SUPER firm, and very little water left (maybe 1/4 of the can). I almost couldn't whip it. It tastes pretty good, though it isn't all that smooth - almost gritty, but coconut grit. :) I will take that over the non-firming Thai Kitchen though.

• 2 months later...

I know I'm late to the party but I bought some Thai Kitchen and put it in the fridge, per usual, to make my whipped cream. I drained it and then opened the top to find very little to almost no coconut cream. I've made coconut cream tons of times before with this same brand and never had an issue with it. I was pretty disappointed and I'm curious if they changed how they make their coconut cream.

I think it varies from batch to batch and may have to do with the coconuts themselves or the length of time they sit on the shelves. Reviews of various brands on Amazon indicate that it's not uncommon to have problems with some cans but not others. it's so frustrating because there's no way to tell from looking at them.

We use Natural Value, and usually have no problem with it. But the last bunch of cans we bought has been bizarre. The top layer is already separated, and it's SUPER-separated - it's coconut oil that split out altogether. There was a small amount of cream under that, and then the watery stuff. However, I dumped it all into a big jar and used my immersion blender to re-emulsify it. I did this two days ago and it has stayed creamy. I can't whip it, but it's usable for cooking and putting in coffee. Unfortunately, it took until the 4th bad can to figure this out. (And I buy this brand wherever I find it so I don't know which store it came from and can't return it.) I may try the shelf-stable stuff on Amazon when these cans are gone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I think I found out why it's not separating - after 2 days in the fridge, my Thai kitchen is not separating - Ingredient: Guar gum - it is used as a stabilizer in this brand, meaning it is keeping it from solidifying - most average folks don't need or want it to separate....I will buy Native Forest - or at least make sure the ingredients don't contain stabilizers!

We get very different coconut products in Australia, but the variables I find in our local products are fat content, fibre (coconut meat) and water. The really liquid and thin coconut milks are lower in fat, have very little fibre and added water (lots of them have weird additives and are a freakishly bright white colour).

Coconut cream on the other hand is really thick in the can without being in the fridge and has much higher fat (about 29%) and fibre.

I blitz the contents of a can of coconut milk with my Bamix stick blender. It mixes solids and liquid together well and also froths it up a bit. The frothy bit is light and fluffy and great on fruit once it was been in the fridge overnight and set a bit (although the rest will probably have separated again by then). I find this happens with any brand that I have used so far (in UK)

Trader Joe's coconut cream has guar gum as a thickener. I have been putting it in my morning coffee. I tried to pour it from the can but it was too thick and I had to spoon it out.

I thought it was to stop it separating? I buy a coconut milk with it because if I want to use it on its own, not cooked in to something, I don't like how the ones without separate :P

Well I assume that too.  I bought it for the same reason - I didn't feel like pouring out half my can of coconut milk (water) after I used the cream off the top.

I blitz the water into the solids in a bowl and keep it covered in the fridge. Are we supposed to throw away the water? The solids are almost to hard to spoon in the ones I have tried . 

Archived