Breakfast Ideas?

Hey, it's my first time posting so I hope this is the right place. Sorry if it isn't!

My father-in-law and I have been eating nothing but fruit and vegetables for a month and we've really cleansed our bodies, feel great benefits and have lost weight in the process. I was doing some research into what would be the next step for us to start eating healthy. I came across Whole30 a couple of weeks back and it was exactly what I was looking for! We've both read ISWF and we now have a couple of Whole30 approved cookbooks (Well Fed and Nom Nom Paleo iPad App) that we can't wait to try. My mother-in-law is even going to start Whole30 with us which I'm really happy about.

After looking through recipes she is really worried on what she is going to eat, especially for breakfast. She has oatmeal every morning and she snacks through the day. There is no way she will be having meat in the morning and she isn't a big fan of eggs. Does anyone have any suggestions on things she can have for breakfast that she would enjoy? I want her to really give this a try but I'm worried that if she isn't enjoying what she eats she'll just go back to eating how she was before. She suffers from headaches all the time and IBS so I really want her to give this a try and she is willing. I would just love to get some recipes that she can get excited over!

She also doesn't like avocados but she is a big fan of fruit!

Any recipe suggestion would be great. Thank you!

• Moderators

The problem is that every meal should include protein, fat, and veggies. If she doesn't want to eat eggs or meat at breakfast, that basically leaves fish for protein. I personally eat fish poached in marinara sauce with yellow bell peppers and green olives semi-regularly - http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2013/05/dover-sole-poached-in-marinara-sauce-with-yellow-bell-pepper-green-olives-and-sweet-yellow-onion/ at breakfast. I know it seems weird to eat like this at breakfast, but once you try it, it works just fine, at least it did for me.

Does she like chicken?  You could make many varieties of chicken salad and vegetables with homemade paleo mayo.

Does she like smoked salmon or sardines? Those could be protein options for her, and add some veggies cooked in approved cooking fat.

Prosciutto with asparagus grilled in olive oil is another option.

Does she not like eggs plain, or would she be ok with having them as part of a frittata?

I've been playing around with different frittata recipes on my Whole30.  I'm currently on day 21.  Prior to this, I was an oatmeal-every-day gal for breakfast.

This is a hearty roasted veggie frittata -- heavier on the veggies vs. the eggs. Maybe she'd like this?

Ingredients:

- 1 lb zucchini, sliced thickly
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 c mixed fresh herbs, roughly torn (I used basil and parsley)
- 8 eggs
- 1/3 c coconut milk
- salt and pepper

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Toss the vegetables with the olive oil in a 8x8" shallow baking dish and bake for 25 minutes.
3. Beat eggs with coconut milk, herbs and seasoning. Pour on top of the roasted vegetables.
4. Return to oven for 45 minutes, covering top with foil after 20 minutes.

Thanks so much GFChris! I think the main problem that she is finding is eating things she would associate for lunch or dinner for breakfast. I think it's one of those things she'll just have to get used too!

The frittata sounds amazing, I think I will be making that on our first day! She does like eggs but I'm not sure if she'll like them every day but I'm hoping we'll find some things that she'll enjoy.

It's definitely a new way of eating but one that I know is so much better!

When I first began I wasn't a fan of eating lunch or dinner foods for breakfast either, it took me a couple tries to get into it.  I found the recipe in ISWF for ground pork and apples to be a great breakfast!  I made is as written first then started adding butternut or sweet potatoes to it, even brussels all seemed breakfasty to me.  You could even try it with an approved breakfast sausage, apple, butternut, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ghee.  i then was able to branch out and accept ground beef for breakfast.  I even made an apple omelet one morning and it wasn't half bad.  Good luck!

I found a couple of meaty things that helped me transition from "breakfast" to "meal 1".

-Pan-fried chicken breast with fruit salsa (pineapple/tomato/avocado - or something like that)

-Pork & orange meatballs (I skipped the garlic and the 'zoodles')

-Pork 'sausage' patties: pork mince, salt, pepper, nutmeg, sage.

It's a mindset you need to retrain yourself from. Most people wouldn't turn their nose up at a 'full english' breakfast (sausage, egg, bacon etc) and eating other meat at brekky is not that different. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great tip on the Paleo Nom Nom app. Just beware that some of the recipes do contain non-paleo approved ingredients (like ketchup or mayonnaise). It will be up to you to notice these ingredients and make healthy substitutions. I believe the app works by scouring the internet for recipes that meet your search criteria. They did their best to hone in on paleo ingredients, but I've already seen a few offenders slip through the cracks.

A question for Tom Denham!!! I wrote a question somewhere on the blogs yesterday and now can't find it....you were moderating the group....it was about not being able to eat as much as it says I am supposed to and then being hungry sooner than I'd like??? Can you help me find that forum or group or??? Thanks!

@beachchica--so long as the ketchup and mayo are paleo  they are fine. There are several paleo ketchup recipes on line, Johnny's is very good--he is a Mod here--and you can sub just tomato paste as well. There are SEVERAL threads here alone discussing paleo mayo and its joys! So long as it is made with healthy oils, eggs, lemon juice / ACV and seasonings, you are good to go. A good starting point recipe is the one in Well Fed. Properly made mayo IS a healthy fat. 

Yes, I've seen lots of paleo recipes for mayo. Just wanted to point out that though something is listed as an ingredient in a paleo recipe, you need to make sure you're not buying that ingredient from a store if it has certain ingredients in it. Luckily for me, I actually don't like mayo or ketchup, so no need to make them paleo in my house.

It can definitely be hard getting around the idea of veggies, etc. for breakfast. Luckily, I've been in Europe the last three years and, during my travels, have learned to love roasted mushrooms and roasted tomatoes with breakfast (first had it in London, I've also had it in Athens and several other areas). That being said, start with 'breakfast friendly' veggies first - I'm a huge fan of (and so is hubby, who believes that veggies =/= breakfast) sweet potatoes any way with it. Sweet potato mash (with coconut milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves), 'fries' (the leftover ones we ate today had garlic salt, chipotle pepper, and black pepper), etc. Go slow, and if the only veggie she'll eat for breakfast is sweet potatoes, it's still better than toast!

As someone who generally isn't a fan of eggs in the AM I make the frittatas and fill them with veggies (and meat) and then just think of the eggs as a binder instead of a main ingredient.  The mindset shift made it easier even though it may sound silly. :)

Archived