Struggling to lose body fat

I have been eating Paleo for 8 months now.  I feel great, have lots of energy, and my skin has cleared up.  However, I am struggling to lose excess body fat around my midsection!  In fact, I've GAINED two pounds.  I am currently on day 16 of a Whole30 and I still have not noticed any change in how my clothes fit.  At times they even feel tighter.  I understand the W30 is about much more than weight loss, but I'm very frustrated.  Four years ago I lost 60 pounds eating a low fat, whole grain diet and exercising like a madwoman.  I don't want to go back to that if I don't  have to, but I'm at a loss and no one can seem to give me a good reason why this is happening.  About 10 days ago I cut my use of added fats in half (particularly coconut products), and I've noticed my "bloating" has subsided.  But my clothes are still tight and I'm sure I've gained more weight.  

My typical diet...

Breakfast:  3 eggs, 3 slices bacon, 1 cup coffee with 2 tbsp coconut milk, zucchini sauteed in 1 teaspoon coconut oil

Lunch:  4-5 ounces chicken, plate full of some kind of non-starchy veggie sauteed in 1/2 tbsp. coconut oil or butter

Dinner:  Usually a recipe from Well Fed or Practical Paleo involving pork or grass fed beef.

Once in a while I have a MINI Larabar as a snack to tide me over.  I never eat nuts as they make me bloat.  I rarely eat nut butter.  And I've drastically limited my fruit intake during this W30.

Supplements...

Cod Liver Oil, Probiotic, 5-Htp (for anxiety), B-Complex, Vit C, Calcium, Vit. D, Magnesium, Potassium

Exercise...

30 minutes strength training with HIIT intervals 3-4 times per week

30-45 minutes easy cardio 2 times per week

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong???  I am currently 33 years old, 5'5", and 136 pounds.  I have a healthy BMI, but I'd like to lose about 8-9 pounds and look good in my bikini again  ;)

honestly I think 5'5 and 136 is great. I am 5'3 and at 145 - goal is 135. 

maybe switch up your workout routines - lift heavy and aim for an hour each session.  I would nix the bacon in the morning, and add more veggies to the zucchini.

i dont really have a lot of advice because i'm in the same boat.  unfortunately, i dont have the time to exercise so I know that is my issue.

Thank you, Jenna.  I wish I had time to exercise for an hour each session.  I used to do an hour 6 times a week, and that's how I lost all the weight.  But now with working full-time and driving my two kids to all their activities, I'm lucky I have time to exercise at all  :(

• Moderators

I have two thoughts. One is that you should buy better fitting clothes and stop worrying. Our culture values bony too highly. My second thought is that you are probably not sleeping enough. Seriously. Getting 8 to 9 hours of sleep is magical when it comes to reducing body fat. You are probably eating and exercising just as you should, but if you are working full-time and raising two kids, you probably are not sleeping enough.

I have mixed feelings about BMI as a measure, because it doesn't take muscle mass into account, but I DO find it helpful to call BS on people who think they are fat or overweight when they are not.

That's you. Tough love, lady, but a BMI of 22 is on the LOW END OF NORMAL. LOW! Like almost in the underweight category. I can get behind the idea that you might need to gain some muscle mass, and that your body composition might not be what you prefer, but overweight you are not.

Eating more, lifting heavy things and laying off at least some of the cardio would be most likely to get you to your goal (assuming your goal is to look hot in that bikini, not to reach some arbitrary number).

thats another thing - have you had your body fat actually measured?  that will also give you a good idea of how much body fat you feel you need to lose.

I am a mother of 3 and I admit my body/stomach doesnt look the same way it used to.  I wear my bikini anyways, because I dont care what others think.

The OP did mention that it's abdominal fat that she's concerned about. You may be doing too much (and not sleeping enough, like Tom suggested)

Drop the cardio and replace it with yoga? Prioritize sleep and stress management. Do it for a month and reevaluate.

Thank you everyone!  I used to be a yoga instructor and I've gotten away from that in order to do more weight training.  I think I'll go back as that helped get me very lean before.  I also do not focus enough on stress management and sleep.  All things I need to work on.  Does anyone know the best way to calculate daily caloric need if trying to build muscle mass?

Does anyone know the best way to calculate daily caloric need if trying to build muscle mass?

---------

yep! DON'T! :)

No, really. Follow the template. Eat when you're hungry, until you're full. Your calorie needs will go up as you start lifting heavy, but your body will tell you when it needs more. I get RAVENOUS after a heavy squat session

I'm in a similar situation...exact same height/weight and goals. If I could just lose a little fat around my midsection and thighs, all of my good/favorite clothes would fit again. I don't care if I'm "good enough" or not overweight...yes, I agree with both...but I want to wear that other half of my wardrobe again dangit! I was at that size for 6-7 years and accumulated a lot of clothes. So far I have only succeeded in losing weight when I wanted to by restricting calories to a level I'm not willing to go back to again. I'll be watching this thread...hopefully you'll have an update in a month or two and tell me what I need to do. :) I wish I could get more sleep, I'm sure that would be helpful. Just ain't happening with 12-hour work shifts. I'm currently trying accupuncture for general anxiety and food obsession. I've gone for 2 weeks and haven't really noticed any change...although it is helping with my recurring low back pain, so that makes it totally worth it.

Like Tom said, try to sleep as much as possible!  Also, I have heard plateau is very common in exercise programs.  Maybe you've reached a plateau after loosing the 60 pounds.  I have recently joined a CrossFit gym and they are so welcoming, encouraging, and ready to support their athletes, no matter what level you are.  One of the concepts that contributes to CF's successful reputation is that the workouts are constantly varied- to prevent plateau.  I have been doing CF for 16 days now, and I already feel lighter, stronger, and look leaner.  Maybe you could give that a try!! Best wishes! :)

Belly fat and stress seem to go hand in hand, as far as I've ever seen. Have you tried Yoga Nidra (since you mentioned you're into yoga)? That's a great way to fully relax and feel rested, and wonderful if you don't get a chance to get enough sleep (I can attest to this having a one month old and a 3 year old). 

I agree with comments above. Before you go changing your diet, spend some time focusing on getting enough sleep and stress management. It's worth a shot. 

"Like Tom said, try to sleep as much as possible!  Also, I have heard plateau is very common in exercise programs.  Maybe you've reached a plateau after loosing the 60 pounds.  I have recently joined a CrossFit gym and they are so welcoming, encouraging, and ready to support their athletes, no matter what level you are.  One of the concepts that contributes to CF's successful reputation is that the workouts are constantly varied- to prevent plateau.  I have been doing CF for 16 days now, and I already feel lighter, stronger, and look leaner.  Maybe you could give that a try!! Best wishes!  :)"

That's the other thing....I would LOVE to try CF, but it's SOOO expensive!

Archived