Starting August 1!

Foodrehaul

Is anyone else giving up coffee??  I have decided to. I gave it up for two weeks (a few months ago) and felt SO much better. I know it will be the hardest part of the Whole30 for me. I have given up gluten, grains, & sugar for months at a time before, but two weeks is the longest I have ever gone without coffee. 

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from a 5 week road trip last night - I ate anything and everything and feel generally slow, puffy and tired. Can't wait to start my second Whole 30 tomorrow (and hopefully lose the 10 lbs I gained on the trip)! I remember it was tough at times, but I need it even more now than I did then. Especially looking forward to a blissful full night's sleep. Also looking forward to shopping for my favorite Whole 30 foods today!

Is anyone else giving up coffee??  I have decided to. I gave it up for two weeks (a few months ago) and felt SO much better. I know it will be the hardest part of the Whole30 for me. I have given up gluten, grains, & sugar for months at a time before, but two weeks is the longest I have ever gone without coffee. 

I never start out giving up coffee, but it has been a positive "side-effect" for me in my prior two Whole 30's.  I do however try to cut-back from 2 cups of coffee a day to 1 immediately and then transition to decalf for a day or two (blah).  By the end of the 2nd week I am back to just water or sometimes tea. 

I am starting my 2nd Whole30 tomorrow as well.  I did my first Whole30 in April and I was so focused on all that I had to give up, mainly Diet Coke, that I didn't realize how much better I felt without all the crap in my system.  Since then I have fallen back into most of the same bad habits and I feel like a slug crawling through my day.  So I said enough of this and I have gladly come back to Whole30 and this time I want to enjoy the way I feel and see where it takes me after 30 days. :)

Hey Whole 30ers! I'm starting tomorrow too :)

I've been off wheat, corn, soy, and peanuts for a couple of years now (lost 50 pounds and am 1000% healthier than I used to be!) but haven't been able to completely kick dairy so I'm finally going to make myself do it. (I've been having way too much ice cream & too many chai lattes this summer!) A friend got me "Well Fed" for my birthday, I've been reading ISWF this week, and I signed up for the Whole30 Daily.

I've spent the last couple of days clearing out the pantry & fridge (seriously, organic chicken broth, you have SUGAR?!) and I've got to hit the store tonight - I've planned out a few meals and got my shopping list printed out and ready to go. I already get an organic veggie box delivered every other week so that makes things easier - I just need to focus on eating more veggies and less fruit :)

I'll miss you, bacon & Sriracha! ;) And coffee. Black coffee is gonna be rough.

Let's do this thing!

Joining August 1 whole 30 and looking forward

to it. I've enjoyed so many positive results in 2012 and want to experience them again. I sustained 90 days and would like to go 30 unbroken.

I'm in for August 1. Most of my shopping is done, and I'm just waiting for US Wellness Meats to re-stock their Whole-30 compliant bacon! (Terrible time for them to be out of stock!)

There are already several social gatherings planned for weekends in August with friends that we've not seen in a while, so those will prove true challenges with regard to avoiding alcohol, but I'm arming myself and am psyching up.

It's time to re-ditch the sugars and processed junk that snuck back in, give my poor skin a break, and de-flate my middle. Let's do this!!

Juliearts,

You are looking at your camping trip the right way! I went camping for 4 days last month during my Whole 30, and that's where I messed up. I really didn't plan my food well enough- I had the right cooking equipment to make it work, but just poor planning. 

Enjoy your trip!  :)

Thanks, Heather! I've got a plan...now it's just sticking to it!

Is anyone else starting a new fitness regimen on 8/1 as well? Normally I would not, but I think it might be just the thing to keep my mind off of the carbs, sugar and diet pepsi that I am breaking up with.

I printed out an at home cross fit  for 30 days program.

I never start out giving up coffee, but it has been a positive "side-effect" for me in my prior two Whole 30's.  I do however try to cut-back from 2 cups of coffee a day to 1 immediately and then transition to decalf for a day or two (blah).  By the end of the 2nd week I am back to just water or sometimes tea. 

I think that I will be ditching coffee for a bit as well.  I can't imagine drinking it black and not really sure I will like the taste of any whole30 approved option.  I know it will be a positive change, but am a little nervous about the caffeine withdraw on top of things.  I think the tapering approach, like you mentioned, could help.  

So excited to read all these announcements. Looking forward to supporting everyone. I kicked off my third W30 on Monday. So far, so good. For those who are new to this, you'll want to check out a recent blog post from the Whole 9 Team.... Avoid Empty Plate Syndrome! Free Whole 30 Meal Plans from Around the Web. Tons of good stuff in there!

Just finished my 4th read of the book today.  I'm preparing for a camping trip and I'll be away beginning today until Sunday.  I'm well prepared to kick off my Whole 30 in style even if I am in the woods :)  I've packed all my favorites - bison, eggs, veggies, bacon, burgers, chicken, and fruit.  My biggest challenge will be with the drinking (or rather, the lack thereof).  I've packed tons of sparkling water and herbal teas so I should be OK.  Looking forward to checking in with you all on Day 4 when I'm back in civilization.  Hope everyone gets off to a fabulous start!

Hi everyone! This is an awesome group we have here! :) I did my first Whole30 April-May of this year, lost 15 lbs and generally felt amazing, but have since gotten way off track with wine, pizza and all sorts of other "non-optimal" food (and gained back the weight I lost :unsure: ). I am soooo ready to start again on August 1st! I drink a lot of coffee now, but had one cup with coconut milk every day after breakfast the last time around, and I want to cut out coffee completely this month. I too am nervous about this since I've never gone that long without it. I think I'll have green or black tea in the morning for a while and try to slowly ween myself off that crazy caffeine. Wishing you all a great month!!!

Excerpted from John Maxwell's book, The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth -

When I was a kid, one of my father's favorite riddles to us went like this: Five frogs are sitting on a log. Four decide to jump off. How many are left?

The first time he asked me, I answered, “One.â€

“No,†he responded, “Five. Why? Because there's a difference between deciding and doing!â€

That was a point that Dad often drove home with us. American politician Frank Clark said, “What great accomplishments we'd have in the world if everybody had done what they intended to do.â€

Most people don't act as quickly as they should on things. They find themselves subject to the Law of Diminishing Intent, which says, “The longer you wait to do something you should do now, the greater the odds that you will never actually do it.â€

The reality is that you will never get much done unless you go ahead and do it before you are ready.

Hey August 1st starters - let's act on this NOW! I'm so glad I finally quit deciding and just decided to DO! I'm excited to spend the next 30+ days with you guys!!

I think I'll have green or black tea in the morning for a while and try to slowly ween myself off that crazy caffeine. Wishing you all a great month!!!

That is exactly what I plan to do. Black tea in morning (hopefully for just a week or two)- herbal tea for the rest of the day. 

I may also follow the autoimmune rules. Haven't decided...

Hi everyone! This is an awesome group we have here! :) I did my first Whole30 April-May of this year, lost 15 lbs and generally felt amazing, but have since gotten way off track with wine, pizza and all sorts of other "non-optimal" food (and gained back the weight I lost :unsure: ). I am soooo ready to start again on August 1st! I drink a lot of coffee now, but had one cup with coconut milk every day after breakfast the last time around, and I want to cut out coffee completely this month. I too am nervous about this since I've never gone that long without it. I think I'll have green or black tea in the morning for a while and try to slowly ween myself off that crazy caffeine. Wishing you all a great month!!!

Hi Jenny,

Give up the coffee. I gave up coffee nearly two weeks ago, only a 2 cup a day drinker and whilst I did feel lousy for a few days it was worth it. Pick up some compliant herbal teas and see how you go. As you are aware being a seasoned Whole 30er you may feel bad for your first few days anyway:)

Good luck

Sue

I'm so excited, my 15 year old son is going to join me in the new "Crossfit at home" plan I printed out.  It'll be nice to have someone to cheer me on, even though I have to work out in the same room with him, which will be embarassing.....it might be just what I need.

Marie

I would love to be part of this group as well.  Been following primal eating since the end of january this year and need a kickstart again to get of sweets and dairy.  Vacation did me in and i need to get back on track.  Look forward to keeping up with everyone here!

Today I made my meal plan for tomorrow through the end of next week, and stocked up on groceries. I still need to go to Trader Joe's and maybe Whole Foods this weekend, but I've got enough to get me started. This is a radical change from my current way of cooking and eating, so it is already taking a lot of time, and it's not even Day 1 yet! However, I knew that would be the case, and I've planned for it as much as possible. I don't have a lot of extras on my schedule in August, so I can devote a lot of time to planning and cooking. It's still going to be tough for me to mentally adjust to spending an average of a couple hours a day on meal planning, grocery shopping, cooking, and kitchen clean up. Honestly, I bet I probably barely averaged 20 minutes a day this past month. I also think that's part of my food problem -  it's so accessible and easy to munch that I end up snacking way too much.

I'm also trying super hard to stay positive, not complain about the things I'm not eating, and appreciate all the wonderful, healthy foods I get to eat. I've noticed even the way I phrase things sometimes demonstrates negativity. Instead of saying, "I'm starting a new eating plan where I can't have grains, any sugar, any soy, any legumes, etc," I need to say, "I have a new eating plan where I get to eat lots of fresh veggies and fruits, and plenty of great meat." or something like that.

starting tomorrow - have been eating close to plan for weeks now, with few exceptions. I have a family function out of town at the end of the month, but I really want to keep to the eating plan for the full 30 days. I am not sure how to do it yet, but I'll let you know what happens. meanwhile, until then, here we GO!

Archived