Older women following Whole30

Chrysalisc

This is my first. What do you do when you end a whole30. I imagine there are some things I won't bother to reintroduce. Or is that a pipe dream? Do the old habits come crashing back? Or I imagine it's up to the individual. I don't tolerate dairy so why bother. Same for soy and maybe glute. Those are the biggest. But once you make a commitment like this how easy is it to slide back?

Very easy to slide back!  For me, I find I feel the best while strictly Whole30 but I cannot seem to ditch the sugar.  Seems sugar gets the best of a lot of us.   Life intervenes...

good luck to you!

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my first. What do you do when you end a whole30. I imagine there are some things I won't bother to reintroduce. Or is that a pipe dream? Do the old habits come crashing back? Or I imagine it's up to the individual. I don't tolerate dairy so why bother. Same for soy and maybe glute. Those are the biggest. But once you make a commitment like this how easy is it to s54lide back?

Hi Peg 541.  My W30's generally turn into longer W40's, etc.  I try to stay on track with it the best I can.  I find I am relatively successful if I keep it low carb and I can generally introduce a bit of hard cheese, maybe an occasional glass of wine.  The minute I add grains, breads, pastas (you know) or sugars of any kind, it's like stoking an addiction and I backslide very quickly.  

After my W30, I don't worry so much about eating 3 meals a day, and I add a bit more fruit.  Other than that, I have to stay pretty committed to a lower carb type primal/paleo in order to feel consistently good, keep my weight manageable and to stay in control.  Just my experience.  I think other people tweak it in their way for the long term.  

• 3 weeks later...

I'm only on Day #2 of the Whole30…age 58, usually very healthy and slender in my life, but post-55 I have put an extra 10-12 pounds on my 5'3 frame and I'm tired of feeling tired AND due to some alarming belly fat, I can't get into many of the things in my closet.  I'm in a great relationship with a man I love who loves me back.  BUT there's plenty of wining/dining out in New York, and that has taken a toll.  I lost my precious father a few months ago and I want to dedicate getting my health back to him.  He was incredibly healthy up until the end.  I do understand that support groups help!  So far I feel lighter and optimistic and determined but I do fear upcoming temptations!  Glad there's a thread for us 50+ ladies.  I don't eat red meat or eggs, so it's plenty of fish and vegetables and soups for me.  Is anyone subbing the occasional pea or hemp protein for a meal?  I love the taste of those but read that one should follow either the omnivore or vegetarian program without crossover.  Thanks and good luck to all!! --Kate

Hi Kate. Really I only eat whole clean food. Don't know a thing about pea or hemp protein. You might ask a moderator but legumes are on the no list.

I'm 64 and taking off 20 lbs that has also slid on. So far doing well. I'm very happy on this plan. Feel great. Look great.

I'm only on Day #2 of the Whole30…age 58, usually very healthy and slender in my life, but post-55 I have put an extra 10-12 pounds on my 5'3 frame and I'm tired of feeling tired AND due to some alarming belly fat, I can't get into many of the things in my closet.  I'm in a great relationship with a man I love who loves me back.  BUT there's plenty of wining/dining out in New York, and that has taken a toll.  I lost my precious father a few months ago and I want to dedicate getting my health back to him.  He was incredibly healthy up until the end.  I do understand that support groups help!  So far I feel lighter and optimistic and determined but I do fear upcoming temptations!  Glad there's a thread for us 50+ ladies.  I don't eat red meat or eggs, so it's plenty of fish and vegetables and soups for me.  Is anyone subbing the occasional pea or hemp protein for a meal?  I love the taste of those but read that one should follow either the omnivore or vegetarian program without crossover.  Thanks and good luck to all!! --Kate

If you are making a shake out of the hemp or pea protein during the Whole30 then I know the answer is 'no' on whether or not this is part of the 30 day eating plan.    Pea protein is a legume so a no-go for 30 days.  Why don't you have whole hemp seeds and sprinkle them on sweet potato or veggies instead of the powder?

Why no red meat?  If it is a taste or humanitarian decision then I say stick with it.  If it is because of saturated fat or 'red meat is bad for you' health advice then I say revisit that decision with a purchase of some grass fed beef.

At 49, I have also been battling belly fat.  I have not gained any weight, but my belly has gained bulk that bugs the crap out of me.  I am also 5'3" so I know how even 5 extra pounds changes how clothing fits!

Thanks, Pam!  I appreciate your reply.  I don't eat red meat for humanitarian reasons but I do eat plenty of wild salmon and other fish for protein, and I did add in some approved poultry.  I've made it to Day #5 and am sticking to vegetables, lots of soups, alternating with fish and veggies, leaving small amount of fruits for breakfast or occasional dessert sprinkled with coconut.  So far so good.  Already I feel more alert.  I'm hopeful that the belly-fat issue will be resolved as I go on.  I don't miss sugar; I thought I would!  No wild mood swings so far, but also I have some social events coming up that will require strength.  So far I've lost two and a half pounds, which is a lot in under a week, so that feels great.  I'll try the hemp seeds.  Cheers!

Thanks, Peg!  I've made it to Day #5 sticking to the program…pea and hemp proteins are mixes that can work as meal substitutes, but they often have stevia and carrageenan, which are not approved for Whole30.  Odd how those pounds slide on, isn't it; I'm trying not to think about that so much as change in general energy levels, which are already approving.  I'm surprised at how quickly sugar has become unappealing; but maybe that craving is crouching in waiting!

I everyone,   I'm 56 and half way through my first whole30. I'm fit and "healthy" according to my doctor.... but I was miserable.  massage, acupuncture, a holistic healer, macrobiotic, veganism.... you name it, I've tried it. Four months ago I was introduced to a kinesiologist.  The woman has saved my life.  After filling out an extensive questionnaire and one hour long visit, she uttered the words "adrenal fatigue". Off to the internet, hours of searching, one site and one blog at a time and there it was....nomnompaleo and the book "It starts with food" This way of eating is not that different from the way I usually eat but the small changes have made a huge difference.  My brain fog has finally lifted and I feel better than I have in years. This weekend was a real eye opener.....I had two glasses of wine.  The constant pain in my muscles came back immediately, I mean immediately.  I was shocked.  So I started over with my next meal and amazingly, this morning, I feel better.... but something else happened.  I use a plant based progesterone cream to control my hot flashes. It works like a charm. But I haven't used it in three days, I'm experimenting, and they haven't come back.  No grains, no dairy?  That's all it takes?  Sold!  I'm still waiting to see a difference in some of my other issues..... trying to do a better job at handling my stress  but excited to see were I am one month from now....... Peace, MJ

Hi MJP, I'm another one who finally found a medical practitioner to really listen to me and got my adrenal fatigue treated - it's a night and day difference.  Welcome and happy Whole30ing!

To everyone else, I follow this thread but don't believe I've posted here before.  I'm 47 and probably perimenopausal but not noticing any untoward symptoms there.  Adrenal fatigue, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and high blood pressure are the larger health issues I deal with, and thankfully I have the help of a fantastic naturopathic physician - and Whole30.  I did my first Whole30 in Sept/Oct of 2012 and haven't looked back (much).  I eat Whole30 most of the time, with time off for good behavior, so to speak (like a trip I'm taking next week).  I feel so much better eating this way that I feel like I have my life back.  It's that significant. 

I love reading stories of women of all ages finding successes (and even struggles) with eating well and living well.  My favorite quote is from a woman named LouLou Van Damme (Google if you want more info on her, not well known in the U.S.).  She's 68 and she said "When I turned 50 I realized that I have to have all of my dreams now."  That's how I'm starting to feel - dream it, make it happen.  Very positive.

So - a belated howdy and hope everyone is having yummy eats these days.

Greetings. I turn 60 next month, how in the heck did that happen? I am on day 15 of my first whole30 and I feel better at this point of on any food plan I have ever done. I have had food issues and been overweight all my life, so i have literally tried everything. But, now I can see a common core thread in the food plans that have yielded the most success, both in emotional balance and physical change. It appears that whole 30 is a God-send is bringing me to a place of commitment and strength. My head is not spinning and planning on what I will do on day 31. My intent is to stay the course and let my body do the directing. I feel quite liberated and grateful. That combined with the fact that someone recently guessed my age at 45!

Blessings to all.

So glad to have found this thread!  I am on Day 2 and am 54.  I love how I feel when I eat this way, but I have been struggling with really making it a long-term lifestyle change.  I've learned that I am sensitive to gluten and dairy, so am probably giving those up for good. I'm struggling to find the nutritional groove to address this mysterious post-menopausal metabolism I am encountering.  What's with all this belly fat?!  Thanks for letting me chime in.  Good luck to everyone!

Hello. I've been at this more than 30 days but had to break off while traveling. I find it very easy and refreshing. Bad weekend being sick and wanting comfort foods but I did fine except for Saturday I went off the rails. No side effects though but I treat every day as day 1. Well Saturday is really the only day I broke the rules. I having routine blood work done tomorrow to see if all is well.

I have no cravings except for the comfort foods this weekend. It was pretty rough and since I has little prepared for me it was impossible.

I cooked all day yesterday to not let that happen again.

Day 19 and doing just fine! Realized that my brain is functioning so much better. Able to stay more calm in situations that previously kept me on edge. Words come out in a flow rather than seek and find. Eager to embrace all the changes that clean eating will bring but with a peace in knowing that numbers are secondary reward to the way I feel. Blessings to all.

Hi, Day # 13 here on my first Whole 30.  Can relate to many of your posts here.  Good thread!!

At 56, I have put on about a pound a year for past 15 yrs. Plus being post menopause, the roll around the middle doesn't feel good.  Weight loss was the primary reason I took on the Whole 30, and I think I have lost a little, but don't plan to weigh until I ready 30 days.

Surprisingly this eating/cooking plan has really curbed my cravings for my evening wine, and something crunchy , gooey and sweet when I come home from work.  However, I need to cut back on the cashews.  :)

Tomorrow I cook for the week again.  It has been helpful to do this on Sundays and get set up with food in the fridge for the week.

Good luck and thanks for the support here!

Hi Everyone,

I am grateful to have found this Forum and hope many more women over 50 join so we can continue this great conversation and support.  I will be 59 at the end of this month and am intending to be FIT & FABULOUS by the time I am 60. 

Briefly, I have had weight “issues†since my teens.  I have earnestly tried many “diets†and ways to improve my lifestyle to varying degrees of success.  Overall, when I compare my way of eating to the typical American diet I am much healthier.  That said, however, because of my ups and downs in weight over many decades (and major sugar addiction which thankfully has improved greatly with considerable focus and work), I believe I am impacted by metabolic and hormonal imbalances, which have affected my ability to easily lose or maintain weight loss. 

For most of my adult life I have had a mostly vegetarian-style of eating—some years eating no meat or fish, other years only eating it if I was out with friends.  This past year I attempted a mostly raw foods lifestyle (minimal dairy, grains, meat/fish) and was surprised to have achieved little progress or results.  This depressed me and I started feeling hopeless.  Last week when I was about to board a plane I looked for a book to download to my iPad and found It Starts With FoodI started to wonder if perhaps because of the early damage to my system with extreme weight gains and losses that maybe I am the type of person who needs to eat primarily meat/fish and very low carbs in the form of mostly vegetables and minimal fruit.

Anyway, from there I began to do some online research and looked for a group of women over 50 who perhaps were on a similar path and, hence, I found you J   I am planning to further cleanup my diet over the next few weeks and start the Whole 30 by the end of the month.  I hope this particular Forum continues, as I would really appreciate being able to return for support and inspiration.

All the Best to you all…

Padrye... Can you give some suggestions of what you cook? I,m on day 18 but really feeling like I'm in a rut with my food and need some new ideas....

Thanks!

Clarabelle,

I hear you about feeling in a rut, but most of my ideas have come from from "The Clothes Make the Girl" blog, and "Nom Nom Paleo".

They have great ideas and recipes.  Then I just copy theirs to not reinvent the wheel.  I have for the past two weeks baked several sweet potatoes and spaghetti squash on Sunday.  You cut up the sweet potatoes and string the spaghetti squash and store them in containers.  I also do chicken thighs.  And make a new batch of home made mayo each week.    With a raw egg, I don't like to let it go too long.  And boil up half a dozen hard boiled eggs.  

Also  steam up broccoli, cauliflower, green beans etc to have in containers ready to go.  All these things are great components to put together for meals. 

I also have been putting ribs or beef stew or turkey breast or pork butt in the crock pot on Sundays and there is meat to eat for a few days.

Something we tried tonight was buffalo burgers.  Cooked them on the grill. Topped with diced fresh veggies dressed in rice vinegar and olive oil and a dollop of mayo. Very yum.

Eggs for breakfast , getting boring ,but easy to prepare!

I love to cook , so have been spending lots of time looking at Whole 30 compliant blogs etc for ideas.  It is just my husband and me and he will eat anything, so I feel fortunate he is with me on this.

thanks for asking :)

• 2 months later...

I am 59 doing my first Whole30. I started August 1. I don't weigh myself anymore so I don't know what I was when I started but something is definitely changing. I have had a mild headache for a couple of days which I am attributing to detox. But in general I feel fairly good. Maybe a bit tired but again, detox. My elimination (don't mean to be gross) is where I am noticing something happening. I hope it means I am getting rid of fat but after only 7 days, I am not sure that I should be noticing that already. My appetite has also changed. I am satisfied on much less food and I am learning when my body is really hungry as opposed to just having the bad habit of grazing all day. I am getting to the point of being satisfied much more quickly and then I stop eating. That part I like!!  I hope I lose some weight but I also want to just get rid of toxic foods and go paleo. I am trying to focus on the other health benefits and not weight. I think the other benefits will lead to weight loss as will stabilizing the blood sugars. Even after I am done, the only thing I may reintroduce is some cultured dairy. The rest I can live without. My issue is regular exercise. I always start out good but get bored with exercise pretty quickly -- although I do love walking outside. But for women our age, we may have to be a bit more patient to see the weight loss. My one piece of advice, stay off the scale! I was one of those people who weighed myself every day and I am telling you, you will make yourself nutZ! Go by how you feel and how your clothes fit. I actually have on a pair of shorts right now that I have not worn in years since I could not get them on so I will take that any day.

Hi everyone!  Hope ya'll let this "youngster" of 42 hang out with you girls.  It feels way more comfortable here than anywhere else.  I'm a 42 year old mom of 3 girls.  Celebrating 20 years of marriage with my husband this year.  I just recently started my whole 30, I'm on day 3 so I am really a newbie at this.  I am really determined to make this work, I had been feeling really sluggish and achy for months now.  I gained about 15 since last December that I know were due to stress at home and work.  I don't want a bikini body or anything, I just want to feel good again, be able to walk without pain.  So far I haven't had many problems sticking to the whole 30 plan.  I'm the only one doing it in my family but I'm hoping to get the rest of them onboard at a later point in time.  My oldest girl will be graduating high school this year, my middle girl is in 8th grade, and my youngest is a 4th grader.  I work as a substititute teacher for our elementary school (very small town), so there are days when I am hopping busy and days when I can stay home.  Hopefully this will help me stick to the plan easier.  My biggest worry is eating out.  I must say my family loves eating out.  I am not sure how I can handle that.  In fact, on Sunday we will be going to a small theme park to celebrate my youngest's birthday.  Anyone have any tips on ways to manage out eating when we are out and about.  I will pack some vegs and nuts in my purse but I am not sure about actual meals.  Looking forward to making lots of friends here!  Thanks girls!

Melissa

Archived