Too Much Kombucha?!

I bought two SCOBY and a pack of water kefir grains a few months ago and have a continuous brewer going with my SCOBY and am continually changing over my water kefir so I have kombucha and water kefir available most of the time....

I think I'm addicted to the kombucha! Is there such a thing as overconsuming kombucha? I've notice having diahrrea the last few days so I'm assuming it's the increased booch as I've been having about an 18oz cup twice a day this week.  Will my tummy adjust to the probiotics or is there a limit to how much kombucha and water kefir an adult should have a day???

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

I brew my own and regularly drink more than 16oz.  If it's hot out I can go through 32 in a day, easily!  The only reason someone would get a gut issue with it is that they went too much too soon.  Once you have a proper amount of gut bacteria in proper proportions there should be no issue with drinking large quantities.

When I first looked into Kombucha I did a lot of research on websites, blogs and forums and I remember reading on a blog that this person drank a 16oz jar everyday and not to drink more than 32ozs, i actually still have the link saved, I will share it with you. https://jeffsanders.com/drink-kombucha-every-day/Hope it helps. 

That was an excellent article.  There's no way I'm going to start brewing my own.  I think I could easily become hooked.  If  it  turned into Hooch Booch like this man said....Katy, Bar the Door.   I could end up 'drunker than a hoot owl'.  I only have to sniff the cork.   Thanks, it was entertaining. 

• Administrators

That was an excellent article.  There's no way I'm going to start brewing my own.  I think I could easily become hooked.  If  it  turned into Hooch Booch like this man said....Katy, Bar the Door.   I could end up drunker than a hoot owl.   Thanks, it was entertaining. 

I brew my own, Meadow. At first I totally overconsumed it, it was a novelty that I wasn't paying a fortune for.  Now, a couple years later I run into a batch that needs to be bottled and notice I still have all my bottles full in the fridge downstairs.  Then the hubby and I play the "uh oh, better start drinking KT asap!" game!

I just bottled yesterday and did pomegranate orange and one with dried lavender and orange zest.  So excited for that one!

I just started brewing my own and I'm in love. I'm currently playing the game of wanting to drink it all, but trying to make one batch last until the next is ready. What I find funny about myself is I never had Kombucha before I started brewing it. I live in Germany now and I wanted to try it but could not find it in the stores anywhere, so I decided to go about making my own and ordered a SCOBY from KombuchaKamp. I'm glad I did because this stuff is great and cheaper than it would be to buy it in the store.

So....

I just tried this kombucha in the gingerade flavor for the first time a couple minutes ago. My stomach is now feeling a little funny. I wouldn't say I feel sick, but it's defiantly a little bubbly in the stomach. Could this just be a side affect of not having anything "fizzy" to drink for 14 days before today?

While everyone is enjoying some nice tea, it's only fair to show you some of the things I've read on the safety hazards.  Of course you can't always believe the internet. but  here's something from webmd (The word death made me call my daughter and warn her to just be aware):

Kombucha tea is POSSIBLY UNSAFE for most adults when taken by mouth. It can cause side effects including stomach problemsyeast infections, allergic reactions, yellow skin (jaundice), nausea, vomiting, head and neck pain, and death.

Kombucha tea, especially batches made at home where it’s hard to maintain a germ-free environment, can become contaminated with fungus (Aspergillus) and bacteria (including anthrax). In Iran, 20 people got anthrax infections from taking kombucha tea. This tea is LIKELY UNSAFE in people with weakened immune systems, such as people with HIV/AIDS, who are more likely to get infections, as well as when it is prepared in a lead-glazed ceramic pot. Lead poisoning has been reported following ingestion of kombucha tea.

This one is from the mayoclinic:

Kombucha tea is a fermented drink made with tea, sugar, bacteria and yeast. Although it's sometimes referred to as kombucha mushroom tea, kombucha is not a mushroom — it's a colony of bacteria and yeast. Kombucha tea is made by adding the colony to sugar and tea, and allowing the mix to ferment. The resulting liquid contains vinegar, B vitamins and a number of other chemical compounds.

Proponents claim kombucha tea can stimulate the immune system, prevent cancer, and improve digestion and liver function. However, there's no scientific evidence to support these health claims.

There have, however, been reports of adverse effects, such as stomach upset, infections and allergic reactions in kombucha tea drinkers. Kombucha tea is often brewed in homes under nonsterile conditions, making contamination likely. If ceramic pots are used for brewing, lead poisoning might be a concern — the acids in the tea may leach lead from the ceramic glaze.

In short, there isn't good evidence that kombucha tea delivers on its health claims. At the same time, several cases of harm have been reported. Therefore, the prudent approach is to avoid kombucha tea until more definitive information is available.

This excerpt is from livestrong:

In 1995, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that two women were hospitalized with severe acidosis after drinking kombucha tea that they had made daily for two months. One of the women died, and the other’s heart stopped but she recovered. A 22-year-old HIV-positive male presented with lactic acidosis and died within 15 hours of drinking kombucha, as reported in a 2009 "Journal of Intensive Care Medicine."

Sorry, didn't mean to be a kill joy, but sometimes people without knowledge do dangerous things.  Better to be educated at least enough to know: you need a sterile jar, throw your batch out if it gets moldy, etc..

• 8 months later...

I drink 36 ounces per day every once in a while without developing diarrhea, but normally only drink 18 ounces per day. I don't know why your body could not adjust, but I imagine it does need time to adjust. 

I first tried kombucha on Day 6, and I fell in love with it. I didn't notice any digestive problems, so I've been having two 16oz. bottles a day for almost 2 weeks (now on Day 19). Except now I've been having extreme digestive distress since Day 16 (bloating, gas, nausea, lack of appetite, increased bathroom trips). Could drinking that much kombucha have such a delayed effect? Wouldn't I have noticed a problem immediately? If it's just a stomach bug (which I'm thinking it might be), is continuing to drink kombucha going to make my nausea/indigestion better or worse?

Archived