Who's made what from Well Fed 2!

Roz Griffiths

I got the original Well Fed cookbook about this time last year & although it's been well used (one page in particular is liberally covered in failed mayonnaise :rolleyes: ), i still keep finding new things to discover. Often through these forums in fact, someone will post "i had such & such for dinner" & i realise i've missed that page.

So, new book out. Already christened mine with some crushed garlic :) Tonight i made the West African Chicken Stew & Coconut Cauliflower Rice. Both delicious. Tomorrow I'm making the Deconstructed Gyro, then Monday the Moroccan-style Bangers (or balls or burgers). Anyone else got any favourites yet?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sweet potato-based salmon cakes are incredible. Next week, I may try tweaking the recipe to cut down on the fat and replace the salmon with chicken to make a perfect post-workout meal option. For now, the original is amazing.

I made the chorizo meatballs, which were also great.

I made the Cincinnati Chili too - her chocolate chili is my favorite and I was a little afraid I'd be disappointed in anything different, but it's very good too! Spicier than chocolate chili.

That's all I've had time to make so far, except the Kickass Ketchup and Awesome Sauce, which really is awesome. I've had it on burgers and as a veggie dip.

I made the Beef Stew Provencal and it was delicious.  The only problem I had was that after marinating the meat, it was so tender that it disintegrated into the broth.  The recipe also had me add the carrots at the end, but it took a really long time for the carrots to cook so I'd probably add them in with the meat and broth at the beginning.

I have made:

Kickass ketchup.  I couldn't get the figs to blend in, but it still tastes good.  I had it on a burger with mayo, mustard and sauteed onions.

Thai Basil Beef.  Amazing!  My kids (13 & 10) loved it too.

Deli Tuna Salad.  meh....it was tasty, but I love my tuna best with apples and walnuts.

Chicken Nanking.  Mindblowing!  I made it with zucchini noodles.  Tasted even better on Day 2.

Italian Pork Roast.  So easy and so delicious!  I ate it for breakfast, lunch and dinner for several days.

Pan-Fried Plantains.  MMMMMMMM my new favorite post-workout carb.

Green Beans with Sizzled Garlic.  Yummy and easy.  Didn't taste as good on Day 2, but ate them for breakfast anyway.

Reuben Rollups are next on my list!

mmm... African Chicken Stew - so yummy!!

How were the chicken livers?? I'm scared to go there...

They were so very tasty! My first experience with liver. I'm still not very good at frying so they got a little blackened in some places. So fun to watch them cook (from a safe distance) as they sometimes flip themselves over!

I have made:

Kickass ketchup.  I couldn't get the figs to blend in, but it still tastes good.  I had it on a burger with mayo, mustard and sauteed onions.

Thai Basil Beef.  Amazing!  My kids (13 & 10) loved it too.

Deli Tuna Salad.  meh....it was tasty, but I love my tuna best with apples and walnuts.

Chicken Nanking.  Mindblowing!  I made it with zucchini noodles.  Tasted even better on Day 2.

Italian Pork Roast.  So easy and so delicious!  I ate it for breakfast, lunch and dinner for several days.

Pan-Fried Plantains.  MMMMMMMM my new favorite post-workout carb.

Green Beans with Sizzled Garlic.  Yummy and easy.  Didn't taste as good on Day 2, but ate them for breakfast anyway.

Reuben Rollups are next on my list!

I want to make the ketchup but I have never bought figs before, are the figs fresh or are they dried?

I've made the fried sardines at least three times. I made it once with sardines packed in olive oil, and it was pretty great, but the other two times, I used water-packed sardines and made a fresh olive oil/garlic/lemon juice marinade for them. (The oil-packed sardines I buy are smoked, but the water-packed ones are not. I like them both, but I like the unsmoked ones just a bit better.) I seasoned the coating mix with a roasted Szechuan peppercorn/salt blend and some red pepper flakes. So delicious it made my toes curl.

I have made:

snowflower, I had the same blending problem. I didn't have any figs, but I did have Medjool dates, and they just refused to blend all the way even though I ran them through both the blender and the food processor! What I ended up doing was blending them as best as I could, then proceeded with the rest of the recipe. When the ketchup was done cooking, I put it in the food processor one more time -- and success! The additional water and the cooking of the sauce softened the dates considerably, and they finally blended all the way in. I'll bet the same thing will happen with figs. It is, indeed, a kickass ketchup.

I used dried fig. Thanks for the post-cooking blend suggestion, bakerina. I'll try that next time.

Since my last post I've made:

Reuben Rollups. I loved the caraway oniony sauerkraut! and the French dressing was delish.

BBQ Beef "waffle" sandwich. The waffle part of this isn't Whole30 approved. (I'm not on a whole30 currently) I wasn't sure why until I made it......the sweet potato transforms its texture into a chewy bread-like consistency. It's nothing like a sweet potato! But it was amazing. I piled it high with the BBQ beef, cole slaw, pickles and jalapeños. it was magnificent!

Classic cole slaw. Yummmmmmmy! So good with the BBQ beef.

Crisp sweet collards. I've made thus twice. once with collards and once with kale. Both were yummy.

Coconut cauliflower rice. meh. Not nearly as good as the original IMO. Maybe I did something wrong?

Next on the list is Belly Dance Beet Salad (I got beets in my CSA box this week), pan-fried sardines (I've had these in my pantry since my first whole30 this summer and have been scared to eat them. I think I'll have an easier time if they're covered with yummy stuff.), and turkey cranberry meatballs.

I made the spaghetti squash fritters tonight - yum! I made the wasabi mayo too; it's more the consistency of a sauce than mayo, thanks to all the added liquids (vinegar, aminos and lemon juice). Not sure if I did something wrong or that's just how it's supposed to be. It's tasty though!

has anyone tried buying cream tartar some recipes calls for? I went to the store to but it but was unable to find it.

Also, where do you guys get ground pork from, I cannot find any.

I have found cream of tartar at a variety of grocery stores.  It is usually in the same section as the herbs/spices.  If not there, check the baking aisle.

I have purchased ground pork from Whole Foods and from my local produce/meat delivery service.  If you don't have these options in your area, ask the butcher at your grocery store if s/he can grind some for you.  

If pork isn't an option for you, try substituting ground turkey thigh or ground beef or ground lamb in whatever recipe you're making.

Archived