Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

I almost completed a Whole30 in November, but only made it 21 days. Lesson learned - don't start a major diet change during the Holidays :) Even though I did not finish the Whole30, I still did not fail - losing over 10lbs and feeling amazing and confident. I am fully committed to finishing 30 days, and going beyond to 45, 60, maybe 100! 

Happy Eating Everyone!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone! I have been off the forums for a very long time. Took a long break from all things diet related and just tried to take care of some personal stuff. I know now that I was not ready for a massive change when I attempted this before. In a much better place with a fresh perpective and ready to go again. I'm starting today and ready to see how the whole 30 affects my new love- Crossfit! Ready for energy, better sleep, and a very dead sugar dragon :D

There's a group starting a Whole 30 on January 2 but I'm planning to start on January 1.  I did a Whole 30 last January and it was a great experience.  Best sleep I've had, and once I got through the initial cravings, my energy level was extremely high. And mentally, I was as sharp as a tack.

Starting this past year off with very disciplined eating/drinking was so good for me that I want to start off 2014 the same way.  I can merge in with the January 2 group unless anyone is interested in starting 2014 with a CLEAN slate. 

I started today :)

I am starting today too! This is my second Whole30 and am looking forward to it!

So far breakfast was eggs with kale, onion, and peppers and strawberries/banana with cinnamon.

Cheers to 2014!

I started today as well, and also had scrambled eggs with kale, leeks, and red bell pepper! Good luck!

Today is day 1 since we're a day ahead from the states! Everything is going pretty good, I've been eating paleo for 8 days now but wanted to officially start today. I'm cutting out dairy today, I've been adding cream to my coffee and eating the occasional string cheese, but I'm now removing that from my diet. I hope this will clear up the phlegm I've had in the back of my throat, and the breakouts I've been getting...nothing serious just more of an annoyance.

Just a little introduction of myself:

I've done paleo on and off for about 3 years, but never really stuck with it because of temptations and just generally wanted to be included with my co workers and peers. Well I finally decided its time to see how far paleo will take me... My dad has had me read a book called Grain Brain, a book I highly recommend for you all to add to your list. It talks about the detrimental effects grains and sugars have on the brain, linking diseases such as dementia and Alzheimer's to our diet. It goes really in depth and explains the why and how better than I can. But it just really got me motivated to drop the sugar and grains out of my diet fast. Which is why I didn't even want to do Christmas desserts and treats this year. Baa hummmbug lol

Anyhow, I've been a corpsman in the navy for over 2 years now and health and fitness is very important not only for my patients but for myself and those junior enlisted who follow my example. I hope I can be a positive influence to others I work with that want to change as well.

I'd also like to be an inspiration to my younger sisters who are 15 and 16, they follow a very junk food teenage diet and I hope I can change their minds once they see me again in September. And to by father who has always inspired me, he's also doing paleo with me even when he's 6,000 miles away it really helps to have his support.

Anyway sorry for the rambling just needed to really define why I'm here and keep myself on track! Best wishes and happy new year!

I haven't read that book, but I heard a physician/author (whose name isn't coming to me right now) speak at our local hospital a couple of years ago, and he referred to Alzheimer's disease as "Diabetes type 3."  I didn't quite understand at the time, but I *believe* he was referring to how unregulated sugar and insulin reactions degrade the pathways in our brains, leading to dementia.  Fascinating.  And horrifying. 

Happy Day One!!  I just had the most delicious breakfast of spinach and onions cooked in ghee, plus over-easy eggs.  And of course my black coffee.  I actually like black coffee, and wonder why I was putting cream in it to begin with.....  :)

Happy  New Year!

I  successfully completed a Whole30 in the summer of 2011 , but failed at my second attempt this past October.

Now I'm  ready , prepared and committed    to push through to a Whole100 :) 

Meal 1  down:  paleo meatloaf  slice , crisped in a pan with coconut oil

topped with sautéed spinach, drizzle of balsamic

sliced yellow and red peppers on the side

Looking forward to sharing the journey with you all!

I started today as well, and also had scrambled eggs with kale, leeks, and red bell pepper! Good luck!

Eggs and kale are popular today! Had mine with onion and ground pork. Planning to make a big batch of Well Fed chocolate chili later today, chop some veggies, and roast some chicken. 

Happy Day 1, everybody!

I'm doing my whole30 here in Finland - it is 7:15 PM and the awful headache just started! I had three days headache in the beginning of my first whole30, so this was not a surprise at all.

I did not have goals (except the weight loss) last time, but here are my goals for the second:

1. Start my days with yoga.

2. I will not sit at all! (It is a local campaign to get more active citizens) If tired, I can rest but not in a sitting position.

3. Max 1 fruit / day.

4. No nuts for me. I think they are not good for me.

Someone wrote about sauna & sleeping. From my experience I would recommend sauna, but not very late at night. If you want a really good sleep, try sauna at 6pm, then dinner, then very relaxed activities only to fall easily asleep at 10 pm.

I am starting today as well. This will be my 4th attempt. I have hashimoto's so I will need to follow the autoimmune protocol, which is very challenging. I gained 15 lbs this year and I am uncomfortable in my clothes, so it is time to make a change!

Decent start to Day 1 here in Los Angeles.  I did a whole30 in September which extended to continued Paleo living until I increased off-roading between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  So I actually have a bunch of stuff frozen from before, and a bunch of favorite recipes.

I had made up a bunch of roasted butternut squash soup, and bacon avocado soup, and chicken stock/bone broth.  I freeze them in muffin cups that hole 1/3 cup.  I store those in the freezer and have gotten in the habit of pulling out two pucks of soup and a puck of chicken broth, nuking them in a cup and drinking them for breakfast.  Two fried eggs over easy are my protein.  If I don't do soup, I do nomnompaleo's sweet potato hash with fried eggs.  Today I had soup for breakfast, with two eggs.

I also have nomnompaleo's damn fine chicken frozen in my freezer.  I grabbed one today to go along with a greek salad I made of cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, red bell peppers, and kalamata olives with fresh oregano and lemon juice.  (That is from smittenkitchen.com.)

A green apple for snack, as I may be adding a whole30 compliant version of the 21 day sugar detox in when they start their group on January 6.

I have fibromyalgia and was so incredibly achy last night and the day before, I couldn't WAIT to start my whole30 as my body is really punishing me for off roading these past few weeks.  It built up on me - I didn't feel the effects immediately, but the whole body ache last night was truly a physical reminder why I am doing this.  Weight loss is wonderful, but not spending my life with chronic pain is such an incentive it has almost created a physical aversion in me when I consider off roading.  I understand where the celiacs are coming from.

I haven't planned dinner yet.  Today is my 8th wedding anniversary (we married at the Little White Chapel in Las Vegas eight years ago) and historically we go to PF Chang's.  They are good about telling which foods are compliant, so I will be ok if we go there for dinner.

My goals -

1) I'm going off of coffee.  I never used to be addicted to coffee but developed a terrible headache a few days ago and realized I may recently have gotten addicted to caffeine.  Gone.

2) Fell of the wagon on exercise.  Back on, three days per week at least.

3) My two ADHD kindergarteners are coming along for the ride during this Whole30.  Big goal, keep them compliant.  That's really hard.

Count me in!  This is my first Whole30 and I'm excited to start.  I'm wary of having no alcohol or sugar for 30 days but I am determined!  I've been eating paleo on and off for the past couple months with a major detour over the holidays.  But generally, the treats (chocolate, wine, eating out) have been ruining me, so time to man up!  I'm looking forward to being part of this community.

I'm in! This is my first whole 30. I have been eating mostly paleo for about 3 weeks and have seen huge improvements in my IBS. I also have a form of Rheumatoid arthritis (Ankylosing Spondylitis) that I take Methotrexate for. I would LOVE to stop the medication! In addition I have both Graves and Hashimoto's diseases and my blood sugar is creeping up. I am an autoimmune mess and have more than enough reasons to commit to this for my health.  

I'm nervous because of the planning involved. I am a mom of 4 children and none of my family will be joining me on this. I also have 2 out of town hockey tournaments during this 30 days which mean  I have to pack for my family AND plan ALL my food for the weekend  (OMG) and I am starting a new job on Monday. All this makes me freak out just a bit. 

Denise

I started a Whole "whatever." I have done 3 Whole 30's in the past but want to go longer this time. I turn 40 in March and looking to go till then. I have started cooking my meats for salads/meals, sweet potatos for post wod recovery and gathering a few new recipes here and there. Time to settle in for the long haul.

Hey all... I am doing my 5th Whole30 and I really need to focus on clean eating.  I am so happy to be focused agian on good eating.  More from me later.  Focus on a good first week and a half and the rest is much easier!  The benefits are so very, very worth the efforts!

Cheers

DJ

Any advice on roasting a frozen whole chicken?  I have one in my freezer and am wondering if I need to defrost that sucker?  I have a pressure cooker but don't use it much.  Was thinking of just roasting.  But crock pot?  Could I do it that way just frozen?  Or is defrosting and roasting the best bet.

Also, reading several posts about eating bacon.  I am jealous.  No compliant bacon around here!  I did hear of a local butcher that sometimes has it.  I had my 'Earth Fare' Sunday uncured bacon yesterday since no more for a month!

Just made a batch of olive oil mayo - success!  Breakfast was veggie scramble, sugar free bacon and coffee with unsweetened coconut milk. yummmm   Have an organic chicken in the crock pot and making a batch of chocolate chili this afternoon.  Never tried either of these but am working on my goal #1 - try one new recipe per week.  I wonder if this covers me for two weeks since I am trying two recipies... :huh: LOL  Good luck to everyone on their fresh start to the year!

Any advice on roasting a frozen whole chicken?  I have one in my freezer and am wondering if I need to defrost that sucker?  I have a pressure cooker but don't use it much.  Was thinking of just roasting.  But crock pot?  Could I do it that way just frozen?  Or is defrosting and roasting the best bet.

Also, reading several posts about eating bacon.  I am jealous.  No compliant bacon around here!  I did hear of a local butcher that sometimes has it.  I had my 'Earth Fare' Sunday uncured bacon yesterday since no more for a month!

I don't know about the chicken.  I order my sugar free bacon from US Wellness meats (Whole30 approved vendor).  They deliver it frozen and it is delicious! Challenge is they run out of it frequently, so I learned to stock up when they have it in stock.

Archived