Sweet potatoes - not loving them

Randie

I am now 16 days away before we leave for Disneyland. I am running a 10 km Saturday and the Tinkerbell half on Sunday.

Started my whole 30 on December 31 but struggling with eating sweet potatoes. They are literally making me gag.

Is there something else I can try for carbs to help with these two races?

Thanks

what are ideas on way to prepare beets?

If they are intimidating, it is possible to purchase already cooked beets, sliced and vacuum packed or canned--read labels, but I think there are some compliant packaged beets out there.

If you are ready to jump in the deep end, I think the easiest is to roast them whole. After roasting, the skins will slip off fairly easily, then slice and enjoy.

You could also try preparing the sweet potatoes a different way. That can make a big difference. My favorite method is to wrap them in foil and bake them in the oven at 400 for a long time, well over an hour. They become very soft on the inside, almost gelatinous, and very sweet.

Randie, I also find sweet potatoes baked/roasted (basically, any oven cooked method) too sweet. What I do is make hashbrowns...julienne sweet potatoes (I also add turnips and parsnips, but straight sweet potatoes are fine). I fry them in clarified butter (you can use whatever fat you want) and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and parsley. I cook them on medium heat, stirring/flipping occasionally, until they are just a bit burnt and crispy. I find the sweetness much less overpowering this way. I have this same thing every morning, just varying my protein, as I've found having the carbiness of the sweet potato and parsnip key to keeping my energy levels up all day.

Ditto the hash that ktothev described - I used to hate sweet potatoes, and that's one of the ways I like them now. (Especially with a couple of poached eggs on top - oh my!) I also like them with a bit of spice, like the seasonings in this recipe (Whole30 compliant as long as you find compliant Dijon). Dunk these wedges in mayo with horseradish - yum!

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2012/05/21/wills-yam-fries/

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I usually cut my sweet potatoes into bite-sized chunks, put some oil or ghee on them, and coat them with salt, pepper, chili powder and garlic powder, then roast them til they're crunchy around the edges. They don't seem that sweet to me, because of the other flavors. They're especially good dunked in some homemade mayo (but then, what isn't?).

To me, sweet potatoes taste flavorless and mealy when cooked in the microwave, but like delicious sweet potato caramel candy when baked in the oven at 400 for a full hour. And that's with nothing on them. Add some ghee and it's just insanely delicious.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried roasting them in the oven and frying on the stove. Although I love sweets its the sweet taste Im not loving. What kind of seasonings could counteract that?

I love using sweet potatoes with savory spices or mixing them in with some meat dishes. If I'm eating them as a side dish I will usually season with garlic and rosemary. Mixing mashed sweet potatoes in with some meat like ground turkey, chicken, or ham makes them really tasty and helps create a sweet and salty flavor when seasoning the meat with the properly!Personally, I  really enjoy ground turkey cooked with garlic powder, onion powder, a little bit of salt, and rosemary, and then stuffing that into baked sweet potatoes.

Hope this helps! Sweet potatoes are such a versatile food, it'd be a real bummer not to like them! 

Archived