We started 1st Jan. Here's what we did next ...

Semolina

Thank you Sarah!! Will give it a try.

Today has been good.

M1 2 eggs cooked in coconut oil, sweet potato/carrot hash, all served over a healthy portion of spinach

M2 Homemade chili over a hugh bowl of lettuce (first time I have EVER eaten chili without crackers or tortilla chips.....wasn't sure I could do it but I did)

Planning for M3 Steak, salad, sweet potato

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay guys help me out.  I still really have some issues with eating this much meat and I don't know if it is winter or what but I am just really into red meat lately.  My last two Whole30's I pretty much ate two servings of red meat a week.  Today I made a meatloaf (grassfed local beef!) and now for tomorrow I want to make a pot roast.  That means 4 servings (I usually eat dinner and lunch or breakfast and lunch etc with each of these dishes) and it will only be Tuesday!

My cholesterol and triglycerides are good (I'm half Greek).  How much red meat is too much.  I am going to stay away from bacon (to me bacon is the fast food of meat) except maybe on Sundays or something.  I need to eat more fish but just not in the mood for fish.  I ate tons of salmon during my last W30 but have had NONE this past one.  I need to make salmon patties this week I guess.

What are your opinions?  Is 4 servings fine? What about more?  I could go for a nice steak this weekend too :)

I didn't realize there was a re-intro period and planned my whole30 for a bad time (you know how it days do a whole30 after all your major special occasions? Well the 30 was before them, the reintro was interrupted), so I have not been doing things as they should be done which is actually super interesting.

Things that are totally tasteless and not food: the first three bites of my favorite donut (the fourth bite I was back into it), mcdonalds breakfast sandwich, sweet potato French fries, Swiss cheese slice.

I had non compliant food at a very fancy restaurant, and it all tasted like food, but when you start with amazing fresh ingredients and then cook it well, I suppose it should.

So the moral of the story is that I will be trying to whole30 as much as possible and figure out what I can tolerate with all these crazy events coming up. I had stomach cramps and GI discomfort yesterday which I attribute to all the junk in Mcd's (there really was not an alternative - I did try.)

So at dinner I ended up ordering a burger with no bun and no sauce and hot tea with nothing in it, and my friends were like "you're free now!" but I really don't want to be.

Tried Greek yogurt today which I am hoping I can tolerate bc honestly, I'm tired of eggies

A couple of recommendations:

1 - If you can get at least 2 compliant days in a row and are feeling relatively well on that 3rd day try a controlled reintroduction that day. Rinse and repeat.

2 - Plan another W30 for a time when you can be compliant for the 30 days + the reintroduction part of the program.

I really do feel the reintroduction phase is important and the cleaner your system is when you do it the better data you will get. 

Okay guys help me out.  I still really have some issues with eating this much meat and I don't know if it is winter or what but I am just really into red meat lately.  My last two Whole30's I pretty much ate two servings of red meat a week.  Today I made a meatloaf (grassfed local beef!) and now for tomorrow I want to make a pot roast.  That means 4 servings (I usually eat dinner and lunch or breakfast and lunch etc with each of these dishes) and it will only be Tuesday!

My cholesterol and triglycerides are good (I'm half Greek).  How much red meat is too much.  I am going to stay away from bacon (to me bacon is the fast food of meat) except maybe on Sundays or something.  I need to eat more fish but just not in the mood for fish.  I ate tons of salmon during my last W30 but have had NONE this past one.  I need to make salmon patties this week I guess.

What are your opinions?  Is 4 servings fine? What about more?  I could go for a nice steak this weekend too :)

From everything I've read red meat is actually much more nutrient dense than white meats especially if you are getting it from grass fed sources. I personally try to eat beef, bison, or lamb at least once a day.

Ugh. Went off the rails a bit yesterday. Sunday started off great. I slept in, then immediately did a strength training video, and had a late breakfast of steak, sweet potato, and broccoli. I wasn't hungry so I didn't eat again for most of the day--this was a mistake. As I was making my bacon wrapped scallops (way more work than expected but turned out great) I realized a needed some supplies, ran to the grocery and completely mindlessly tossed some candied peanuts into my cart. Why, just why? So of course when I'm back home and cooking I down half the bag before I snap out of it and throw the rest in the trash. I'm so mad, it was such a stupid off-road, and could have been avoided if I had eaten a meal, even a mini one before I started cooking.

Once I actually got to my superbowl party, I didn't do too badly. There were compliant wings and veggies and fruit. I did have a couple of hard ciders, so even more sugar. I'm definitely paying for it now, since my stomach is killing me. I'm going full-on compliant this week to get back to normal.  I ate some left over scallops for breakfast with peppermint tea, pad thai and chicken for lunch and will maybe throw together a ground beef hot plate for dinner.

So, I got through kill all the things... Well, today has been eat all the things! My appetite has been off the chain. I've managed to keep compliant but am a little confused. Today was no different to other days I had on the W30 menu wise. Plus I slept well and woke feeling refreshed. My boyfriend said he feels extra hungry today too and I wonder if it's as simple as the weather turning a lot colder... whatever it is it's bad - I could barely focus on my workout tonight I was so famished!

For interest here's my menu today:

M1: two egg and roasted vegetable frittata with smoked salmon

M2: homemade wild mushroom soup with 4 slices of prosciutto and a handful of black olives

PWO: 2 prosciutto slices

PWO: carrots (no spare protein)

M3: homemade beef burgers with carrot, cabbage, spinach, pepper and beetroot salad with olive oil, home made guacamole and sweet potato fries

About to have a tea and hope my stomach is finally satisfied. Not tempted to eat crap thankfully.

Jodea, I have been starving this week too! I would say maybe it's something in the weather but we are pretty far apart. I know today at lunch it is because I had a handful of coconut and a handful of olives for my fat... but I forgot the olives. Noooooo!

Even though I am reintroducing things, I am still using the W30 meal template because I love it so much. It is so much easier than tracking calories or macros or portions or blah blah blah.

So this morning I had some grits with my breakfast, and then I had some rice with lunch, and I will have popcorn after dinner. I'm reintroducing non-gluten grains today. So far no problems, but I ate the grits plain, which I've never done... I wanted to make sure I like them for what they are, and not because there is sausage in them. If that were the case... just eat the sausage! I liked them ok, but I actually did not want grains for breakfast! I just had them because reintro says to have some with every meal. So even though I am not having any weird effects from them, I just don't want grains for breakfast anymore, and that is a nice feeling. I like soup and prosciutto way better. :)

So, I got through kill all the things... Well, today has been eat all the things! My appetite has been off the chain. I've managed to keep compliant but am a little confused. Today was no different to other days I had on the W30 menu wise. Plus I slept well and woke feeling refreshed. My boyfriend said he feels extra hungry today too and I wonder if it's as simple as the weather turning a lot colder... whatever it is it's bad - I could barely focus on my workout tonight I was so famished!

It is quite normal for hunger to ebb and flow for a variety of reasons. That is why the template has a range. If you are really hungry and not just craving things than eat and enjoy! :)

It is quite normal for hunger to ebb and flow for a variety of reasons. That is why the template has a range. If you are really hungry and not just craving things than eat and enjoy! :)

Well, when you put it that way it seems so simple ! Now I don't feel so bad.

Well, when you put it that way it seems so simple ! Now I don't feel so bad.

Happy to help. I've been eating this way for close to a year and I definitely have my eat all the things days and my not so hungry days. Usually I can pinpoint a reason but not always.

I was starving yesterday.  I'm hardly ever hungry, so starving didn't work well for me.  Truthfully, it's not helping me that the "compliant" people didn't stay over on the Jan 1 thread.  Just like I knew I would, I'm flip flopping between whether I am "compliant" or "on a break".  Yesterday was completely off the rails.  Today was supposed to be a restart but hasn't been that, yet.  I'm probably going to have to find a thread of all "compliant" people, as the camaraderie helps me stay strong.  I do love hearing about your reintros, though.

I was starving yesterday.  I'm hardly ever hungry, so starving didn't work well for me.  Truthfully, it's not helping me that the "compliant" people didn't stay over on the Jan 1 thread.  Just like I knew I would, I'm flip flopping between whether I am "compliant" or "on a break".  Yesterday was completely off the rails.  Today was supposed to be a restart but hasn't been that, yet.  I'm probably going to have to find a thread of all "compliant" people, as the camaraderie helps me stay strong.  I do love hearing about your reintros, though.

Do you have your own Whole30 Log? Would that help or do you prefer the group threads?

You can still tell us what you did if you like, if it will help (unless you find it distracting to read about people eating/drinking off plan). One of the reasons I wanted to stay with this lot is that in my head I know I have the W30 under my belt (again!), and even though I want to eat like this forever I can't use the "it's just for 30 days" rationale anymore. If it's forever (for the most part) then I need to change that narrative and this just be the way I eat -- and actually I find hearing how other people are getting on with off-roading reinforces the fact I don't want to do that yet.

Doing OK again at the minute. Yesterday I ate totally uninspiring meals (chicken, rocket and mayo for lunch; cold chicken, leftover cabbage, roast sweet potato for dinner) but I stuck to plan. Today is another full-on stressful day, but I now have veggies in the fridge (managed to roast some with the kids yesterday afternoon) so I should be OK. Am about to run out of eggs, and I have no time to go to the shops so that's a blow.

Stay cool, everyone.

AND I had the following conversation with myself this morning:

Me: I feel thinner. Maybe I should weigh myself?

Me 2: Why would you do that?

Me: Well, I feel thinner. Maybe I've lost more weight. Good, huh? So I should weigh myself!
Me 2: Would it make any difference to how you are going to eat today or tomorrow if you find out you have lost weight -- or not?

Me: No.

Me 2: So why weigh yourself? Does it matter what you weigh?

Me: No. (Blinded by the light of revelation that my weight doesn't matter)

(Scales stay in cupboard. Loud applause.)

Ugh. Went off the rails a bit yesterday. Sunday started off great. I slept in, then immediately did a strength training video, and had a late breakfast of steak, sweet potato, and broccoli. I wasn't hungry so I didn't eat again for most of the day--this was a mistake. As I was making my bacon wrapped scallops (way more work than expected but turned out great) I realized a needed some supplies, ran to the grocery and completely mindlessly tossed some candied peanuts into my cart. Why, just why? So of course when I'm back home and cooking I down half the bag before I snap out of it and throw the rest in the trash. I'm so mad, it was such a stupid off-road, and could have been avoided if I had eaten a meal, even a mini one before I started cooking.

I did this twice during the Whole30 with pistachio nutmeats.  I was hungry.  Opened up to have a 'handful' while I cooked and had 3 servings instead and then felt crappy.  I cannot keep salty nuts in the house anymore :(   Or at least not until I have some mindfulness over this.

Awww, bummer. I thought everyone who was continuing on was going to stay up that thread.

Tracy, if it helps, yesterday I learned that for me, even the non-gluten grains are a sometimes food. My insides didn't turn inside out or anything, but yesterday morning I felt really awesome. I had some grits with breakfast, some rice with lunch, and some popcorn with dinner. By the time two pm rolled around I was feeling tired and worn down, and this morning I'm really stiff. So I'm looking forward to two days of compliance before I reintroduce cow dairy and see how that goes.

This morning I had one of the prosciutto skillets Helen and I are so crazy over, some sauerkraut, and some sweet potato hashbrowns. Lunch will be leftover chicken, carrot ginger soup, half an avocado, and some sugar snap peas. I've been hungry at work lately so I might fry up the other half of the sweet potato and take that, too. I need to order some jerky, that would be a good thing to keep at work so that I don't have to run into Walgreens for almonds, since I have the same problem everyone else here seems to have with nuts... except macadamias. I can keep them around because they're so expensive that I'm always like DON'T EAT ALL THOSE! THAT BAG WAS TEN DOLLARS!

It has begun. Yesterday I started my first attempt to grow a kombucha SCOBY.

When I have consumed all the Bubbie's pickles in my Bubbie's pickle jar, I shall attempt my own sauerkraut.

I AM PROBOTICA, ROBOT FOOD COP OF THE FUTURE.

Hey all. Still doing well here. Tried butter for a couple of days and now going back to ghee to see if there's any difference. I don't really think I'm sensitive to regular dairy, but thought I'd try it and see. One thing I do notice is if I do regular butter (grass fed/organic), I'm apt to overeat it. I can just take a chunk and eat it. So I'm thinking it might be best to do clarified butter as I have much better portion control on that.

I'm not really planning on re-introducing much else. I've been grain free for almost a year now. We're planning on skiing on Friday so I may take an Epic Bar and Uber Lara bar with me, that's about it for snacks, plus a salad (probably).

Had an office potluck yesterday. i made chocolate chili. It was a big hit. I also had some veggies but that's it. I wasn't tempted to eat anything else, although the banana/coconut/chocolate chip cookies looked tempting.

I was hungry when I got home and had a few spoonfuls of chili and a couple of raw carrots. I definitely need to get more carrots. I really like them when I'm starving and dinner isn't done cooking yet.

I'm still staying away from anything with sugar as I'm afraid to wake up the sugar dragon again. I think I need to break out my Nom Nom Paleo cookbook and make something interesting this weekend. I don't mind eating relatively the same things during the week, but I like to experiment on weekends.

Thanks, Ali - I am choosing to live a paleo lifestyle so don't plan to add back grains or dairy.  Unfortunately, when I loosen the reins on myself, it immediately turns into eating potato chips, french fries and my kids' gummy bears. 

We had nomnompaleo's cracklin' chicken yesterday, which my kids love.  I made enough to have left overs but the kids ate every speck of it.  I saved one small thigh for lunch today, with some broccoli.  M1 is my standard soup, eggs and sweet potato hash.  M2 cracklin chicken and broccoli.  M3 will be left over london broil from the weekend, with asparagus and mushrooms.

Exercise has continued to be put off.  My dad (in a nursing home with dementia) broke his hip last week so now I am scrambling to get his Medi-Cal application in to cover his hospital costs.

Major win for me yesterday.

I had not yet had any wine. Got hit with a bit of a flu bug last week friday so my planned "I finished the whole30!" wine was pre-empted.

Yesterday I met a friend for dinner at my favorite Indian place. I really wanted a glass of wine, and since I go to this restaurant often, there are a few wines by the glass that I know I enjoy. I ordered a glass, and I loved it and milked it for the whole meal. Was totally worth it...and I realized that I CAN be satisfied with just one glass. I don't think I've ever drank just one glass of wine ever...(heck, when I'm out, I don't think I've ever just drank TWO glasses.) (My boyfriend's response when I told him I only had one glass? "Good for you, bad for the wine industry" lol).

I am starting to think I might actually be able to enjoy wine in moderation, which was something I never thought would be possible. It will take a lot more experiments to determine if that is actually the case, but I have hope that I actually can change my relationship with alcohol without having to completely eliminate it.

I also had some dark chocolate this weekend, and it was fantastic. I'm allowing myself one very expensive high quality dark chocolate bar a week. When its gone, its gone, lol. So, I may end up scarfing the whole thing down in a single day...but then I'm done for the week. Dark chocolate is definitely one of my demons, but since I eat very dark chocolate, it doesn't seem to trigger cravings for other things.

I am so glad I did this Whole30...and I'm glad that I can continue on with this group as I try to figure out how to move forward and maintain a healthy, positive relationship with food and alcohol.

Thanks, Ali - I am choosing to live a paleo lifestyle so don't plan to add back grains or dairy.  Unfortunately, when I loosen the reins on myself, it immediately turns into eating potato chips, french fries and my kids' gummy bears. 

We had nomnompaleo's cracklin' chicken yesterday, which my kids love.  I made enough to have left overs but the kids ate every speck of it.  I saved one small thigh for lunch today, with some broccoli.  M1 is my standard soup, eggs and sweet potato hash.  M2 cracklin chicken and broccoli.  M3 will be left over london broil from the weekend, with asparagus and mushrooms.

Exercise has continued to be put off.  My dad (in a nursing home with dementia) broke his hip last week so now I am scrambling to get his Medi-Cal application in to cover his hospital costs.

Don't be too hard on yourself with the exercise.  My sweet mother was in a nursing home for 5 years and taking care of a parent can be a full time job!! Exercise is one of my biggest challenges, too....so I know where you are coming from.

So things that are not good - Corn, soy (didn't even try), and gluten (not as bad as expected, but i don't feel as good).

Things that seem to be fine in moderation - coconut sugar, honey, wine.

Still trying to be as compliant as possible (lots of work-related events)

My appetite is back to normal today. Phew!

Been re-reading the chapter on riding your own bike in It Starts With Food today. This really is the hardest stage for me but I'm determined to nail it this time. I need to trust myself... Quite hard when my relationship with food is as messed up as it is!

I've been craving chai latte today but didn't get one in the end. However I did just make myself a hot chocolate with coconut milk and cocoa powder which was pretty good. Had a compliant day apart from trying some wasabi ginger dressing with dinner which was really good.

M1: prosciutto and roasted vegetables with two fried eggs

M2: homemade burgers with salad and guacamole

M3: roast salmon with steamed kale and asparagus plus ginger wasabi dressing

Coconut milk cocoa

It's blowing a gale outside so enjoying being cosy after a long day in London.

We fixed a pork loin roast in the crock pot and it had all this wonderful "juice". I tried to thicken it with almond flour & all the flour did was float to the top.....yuk!! Did I do something wrong.......just stirred it in like I would flour? What do you all use to thicken....I think that is one of the things I have missed. After all I'm a southern girl & I love my gravy!

Use coconut flour. You will need less. First knead the flour with a little fat and slowly whisk the liquid into it. You will need very little coconut flour. 1/4 to 1 tsp probably.

Archived