We started 1st Jan. Here's what we did next ...

Semolina

Lunch/dinner party went well! Successfully avoided Haribo and cheeseboard with crackers. A few leftover roast potatoes and one too many glasses of port (slight headache) but I'll take that over a sugar binge! Looking forward to a clean eating week ahead.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kept it W30 yesterday but felt out of sorts. I was really cold and hungry when I got home from work so I wolfed down a load of leftover roast pork then wolfed down my dinner, carnitas made from the pork. It think I overdid it and my stomach has felt a bit sore. I also had more fruit than usual, mainly because we had some leftover from the weekend.

At least I'm going overboard on pork rather than sugary treats but too much is still to much whatever the food so I must learn to slow down and not eat things like fruit just because they're there.

In better news, made my best batch of homemade mayo yet. Obsessed! Have a good day all.

Hello all!

Sorry I've been MIA. Life got a bit busy! I've been doing ok with eating - not perfect, but not completely OOC. I have learned that more than one off-road with gluten and my knee pain comes back so I'm reeling that back in.

And in inspirational news - I'm going to Tuscany this summer on a bike tour! Talk about a reason to be at my best fitness level! So I shall be keeping that in mind for any off-road decisions and trying to keep things in close check. I'm making huge strides on my fitness, so I don't want to lose that! 

I've been bad this past week. I bought ice cream (it's coconut milk ice cream with fair trade coca and hazel nuts, sweetened with agave, so it's not the worst ice cream I could have chosen...but it's still ice cream!) I also ate 4 hersheys kisses that were in the break room today. This morning when I put my dog out, he got loose and I had to go out looking for him. Luckily he didn't go far and I found him about 7 minutes later playing with the teenager waiting for the schoolbus at the end of the block. Yesterday I didn't feel like cooking so I got Five Guys - lettuce wrapped burger and cajun fries. It was really good, but I ate way too many fries. I'm letting the sugar/carbs creep in too much. Need to get back under control.

I've been bad this past week. I bought ice cream (it's coconut milk ice cream with fair trade coca and hazel nuts, sweetened with agave, so it's not the worst ice cream I could have chosen...but it's still ice cream!) I also ate 4 hersheys kisses that were in the break room today. This morning when I put my dog out, he got loose and I had to go out looking for him. Luckily he didn't go far and I found him about 7 minutes later playing with the teenager waiting for the schoolbus at the end of the block. Yesterday I didn't feel like cooking so I got Five Guys - lettuce wrapped burger and cajun fries. It was really good, but I ate way too many fries. I'm letting the sugar/carbs creep in too much. Need to get back under control.

Please do not call yourself bad because you made less healthy choices this week. Your food choices do not have any impact on your self worth. They are just choices. And look how far you have come...most of these choices are much healthier from what you may have chosen pre-W30 am I right? 

Jodea-have a wonderful trip! I hope you get to have some very special time with your dad!!

Sarah-Congratulations on your bike trip this summer....sounds awesome  :D

I have been fighting with a bad cold, sore throat, and something weird going on in my mouth!!  The inside of my mouth & tongue feels like it has been burned & is swollen....painfull. I am learning thru this experience.....when I don't feel good ALL of those old "comfort" foods start floating around in my head.  So far I have only had a few crackers with a little of my homemade mayo on them......but it has been hard not to reach for those carbs my body is telling me it "needs".  Going to the doctor this afternoon so maybe will get some relief!!

Thank you Miminette . I hope you feel better soon!

Not a bad week here. Pretty much sticking to W30 guidelines and got a couple of good workouts in. Had an amazing hot chocolate at a cafe on Wednesday night. I'm a wee bit obsessed, but only having them when I know they're going to be really good - none of the crap from the vending machine at work!

After entertaining at the weekend we had some food left over, including some canned cherries and coconut flour. I hate wasting good food so I made some coconut flour and cherry muffins. I had two last night, and then a few dates (a real binge trigger I don't usually keep in the house) and almonds. I was a bit tired and hungry after a hard work out. Luckily I didn't have that many dates left so I couldn't go crazy. I'm not beating myself up particularly but I know even "healthier" sweet treats can be a slippery slope for me... On the other had as long as it doesn't lead to a full on binge, I'm okay with that. I just need to keep an eye on it.

Back to usual business this morning with my smoked salmon frittata and mayo. It's Friday!

Hi all -- I'm back on the straight and narrow (day 3 of totally compliant eating again) which feels better but it is still a real struggle (the food prep part!).

I finally pulled it all back together when my foot did excessive swelling again and it HURTS. No-one knows what it is or why it is (the latest theory is that I did some kind of permanent damage to the vascular system in my leg when I was pregnant (and had severe pre-eclampsia) with the twins). Great. It's nasty: the skin hurts, it throbs and is hot ... and it isn't even summer! It gets better towards the end of a W30 (which I totally wasn't expecting the first time), and I've never stayed completely compliant much past that ... although I thought I would this last time until it all went wrong. It makes me feel like an old lady, and given nothing is coming up in tests, it seems that there is nothing that can "treat" it, and it will just get worse as I get older. I've not had an ankle for years, although at the end of a W30 you can see where an ankle would be.

I'm not counting days at the moment (well, clearly I AM, but theoretically less so) but it is easy to remember why I am eating this way because my foot is still hurting (and I've got one shoe that doesn't really fit). I haven't weighed myself because I've decided I really don't care about my weight (yay! -- although have definitely gained since 30th Jan!). I want normal legs / ankle / feet though. I ought to write that up on my fridge. I have mixed feelings about having discovered that eating this way really does impact on my health which isn't entirely logical ... but since when did logic ever have anything to do with how people make food decisions?

I also know for sure that moderation is just not my thing. I am a recovering sugar/flour a holic, and I just can't have a little bit. That's just how it is. I'm sure I will be able to do off-roading when out (someone else's house, for example, or not worrying about what's in a salad dressing when out -- though wait, that was the start of this slippery slope ... hmm ... need to think about that for a bit ...) ... SIGH.

As of Monday I'm going to try to fit a walk/run in every day as well, which means getting up at 6 (I know, I know, loads of you are hardcore and do that already) as it's the only way I can see fitting it in. So it will be up at 6 and straight out the door for a half hour of air and increasing my blood circulation, and then on with my normal day from 6.30 am. I've never managed to stick with a running / walking program for very long, but equally, every time you start something and set a goal, the closer you are to achieving it. And I don't want to be an old lady before I am at least 120 ...

Am trying to keep food really simple ... more salad I think, which is not very exciting but at least creates less washing up. Making a coleslaw today: just made the mayonnaise and am now making the rest. I am going away for the weekend (without the kids! woo-hoo!) to visit a friend of mine who is veggie and lives on bread and cheese so I am taking my own food. Luckily I have known her for long enough (ex-flatmate when I was a student 25 years ago ...!) that she doesn't take offence!

Generally quite low at the moment: not enjoying being chained to my domestic existence. Before kids it was easy enough to make changes to my life but now it's like turning the Titanic and any changes I want to make (like working full time, or not living in the rural hinterlands) has such a HUGE impact on everyone else. Hey ho, that's what being grown up is all about I guess.

At least it's Friday, and it's SUNNY (at the moment). Spring is on its way, surely?

You all are inspiring me.  I've not made good choices this week and my body feels it.  My husband is out of town and I've decided I want to go back to work full time in the Fall and that decision has made me anxious so I've been binge eating some (although eating healthy at  my regular meals).  It seems to me the evening is when things start devolving.  On Wed I think I ate probably 3,000 calories of mostly crap and just to torment myself I of course weighed myself on Thursday morning.  That decision (along with the Wed binge) was not supportive of my health.  Sigh.

I like the idea of walking in the morning.  I love being outside.  Maybe I should try it.  I do yoga a lot and dance some but need more.

I am pretty sure PMS is hitting me hard this week which is non-existent during my Whole30.  Last night after yoga and a pretty healthy day I ate gummy things of my kids which is ridiculous and I think that is related to this whole stupid sugar dragon.  Double sigh.

I don't feel defeated though.  I think my choices are better now than they were a year ago and hopefully will just keep getting better.  I am doing a Whole30 in April to prep for the summer I hope.  

I do NOT feel like cooking but yesterday forced myself to make a pot roast, olive oil baked brussel sprouts and two sweet potatoes.  At least when I get home from  yoga today I can't say 'oh there is nothing to eat so I'll eat crap!'   

But thanks for sharing to all of you as it really is inspiring me.  

Semolina - I know what you mean.  When we are sticking to this because our body aches when we don't, it is a lot easier.  Nothing like bone pain or GI pain to give you a food aversion. 

My kids and I have been doing 80/20.  My kids' behavior is out of control hyper again.  I am gearing up for another whole30 on them and on me to see if I see a marked improvement in their behavior again.  It is unfortunate that I need this many times to make myself believe that a Paleo diet is important to control my children's behaviors, but there are just so many components to their hyperactivity.  Sometimes the rigidity of the diet is just too exhausting for me, and for them.  But living in a world of hyperactivity is exhausting, too.  We'll probably jump on board a March 1 Whole30.

Helen - evenings are my difficult time, too. I just had a sweet potato brownie for no reason other than it being Friday night and the fact it was defrosted from the freezer and I forgot to give it to my friend earlier. But, as you say, there have been times when it could have been a lot worse.

So far I have imagined to avoid the temptation to eat the entire box of cookies, but: just so no one feels bad, I did eat an entire SLEEVE. I got my girl scout cookies and on the first day I ate a third of a box. But here is the thing, and I think this is important.

I ate two of the cookies, which is a serving, and wanted some more of them. I KNEW it was not the healthiest choice, but I really did want them; it wasn't just I'm bored, let's eat a thing. So I ate three more... and then I was satisfied, and I didn't want any more, and I haven't wanted any more yet. This is the point of one of the reintroduction articles... it isn't about NEVER having a treat that is off-plan. It's just about having those treats with full knowledge of what you are doing. Did I feel kind of gross after eating a sleeve of cookies? Yep. Was it worth eating those five cookies slowly, and enjoying them? Yep. Will I do it every day? Nah.

It's the same with occasionally losing your grip and eating a whole box... sometimes we do that. I agree with Physibeth that we shouldn't let it affect our worth as a person; mistakes or unhealthy choices don't make us bad people. They just make us people. And apart from the girl scout cookies, my choices have been WAY healthier than before my Whole 30. Like the first food bender I went on after Whole 30? Seaweed. Yes. I ate too much seaweed, and I thought to myself, you know. If my food without brakes is seaweed now? That is kind of awesome.

Also I just want to reiterate that I have SO MUCH RESPECT for people who are trying to Whole 30 with a family. It was hard enough for me with boyfriend, and he was very supportive and wasn't even around all the time. Tracy, I hope you realize I think you are a freaking superhero. If I were queen of the universe I would have paleo meal delivery sent to your house every day.

Also I agree that weekends and evenings are the hardest; free time is when the cookies start calling. I have been lucky in that my routine during the Olympics has been come home, work out, shower, cook dinner, sack out and watch the Olympics with Princess P, my cat. Because when Princess P sits upon your lap, YOU DO NOT GET UP FOR COOKIES. You are a chair now.

First batch of homemade kombucha is bottled and in secondary ferment. I put them in an ice chest because I am afraid of explosions. Second batch was still too sweet, so it's cooling its jets for a while. It's funny, I grew a scoby and bought a scoby, and the grown one seems to be fermenting faster than the boughten one! Anyway, I bottled three bottles and drank a bit plain this morning and it was good.

Meanwhile, just so that y'all know my brother is hilarious too. I have told the whole family about the kombucha adventure, and my grandmother is just positive that I am going to DIE from this. She was hysterical and I couldn't figure out why. So I was talking to my brother on the phone.

Brother: So grandmother wants me to try and convince you not to drink your fermented tea.

Ali: Why is she freaking out so much? This is a woman who made those freaky jello salads back in the fifties.

Brother: Yes, but remember the instructions we found for baby bottles then?

Ali: BOIL THE BOTTLE. BOIL THE NIPPLE. BOIL YOUR HANDS. BOIL THE BABY.

Brother: Yes. Remember she is from that era. STERILIZE EVERYTHING. And now her firstborn granddaughter, the one who is named for her and her mother, the third generation of Alison Elizabeth, the one for whose safety she boiled so many bottles and nipples and diapers, is DRINKING SOMETHING SHE LEFT UNDER THE KITCHEN COUNTER FOR A WEEK.

Ali: ... okay, it all makes sense now.

I'll chime in, as I haven't updated in a while. I've been doing OK. Not as great as I would like, but actually better than I expected. That's precisely why I'm NOT jumping into doing another Whole30. The problem is not the Whole30. The problem is finding the right balance off it.

I did do something rather monumental for me, but most people won't get it. I thought I'd share it, because I think a lot of us deal with body image issues, weight issues, all kinds of things like that, and we turn to Whole30 to find some sanity and peace about all of this. I am currently in a hard core purge of "stuff" phase. That includes a massive purge of clothing. One, I can't believe how many things I bought solely because they fit me, regardless of whether I liked them or not. I ended up getting rid of more of my wardrobe than I kept. The only things that got to stay were things I love to wear, things that really feel like "me", things I feel totally great and comfortable in. That didn't leave much, lol - but enough to start building a new good wardrobe piece by piece.

As part of this process, I got rid of every single thing that didn't fit me. Most things in this category were too big, but there were a few things, particularly one pair of jeans, that I have been holding onto from a time in my life were my marriage was falling apart and in a desperate attempt to make it better I lost a ton of weight with weight watchers and major chronic cardio. There was a tiny pair of jeans in particular that I have held onto this whole time. Even though I felt like crap at that weight, and wasn't happy...those jeans freaking taunted me. "Remember when you were this SKINNY?!" They went into the donate pile. And came out. And went back in, and out, like 10 times, lol. But in the end...they went.

I cannot believe what that single act has done for my body image. Knowing that those jeans aren't hiding out in the back of my closet, waiting for me to get to that "perfect weight" has allowed me to finally start accepting myself just the way I am. I mean, I'm not there totally yet, but I feel like I made a big move in the right direction.

Hi all, a quick check in from Greece. I'd been doing okay before I came away... Before I hopped on the scale on Friday (I shouldn't have) and saw 4lb had gone on in one week. No real rhyme or reason I can think of. Been pretty much compliant with careful off-roading and, most importantly, felt GOOD.

Anyway, brushed it off and have been pretty compliant since arrived in Greece Saturday. Until last night. When I ate a load of cookies and bread in an out of control way, which I haven't done since Christmas. I'm upset with myself but trying to be kind to myself.

One, I'm on vacation, two, it's that time of the month and three, I'm sure it's linked to weighing myself and being disappointed.

I've decided to just eat what feels good while on vacation, no rules. We will see what happens when I get home on Saturday but I won't be doing a March W30. I need to find a solution for my W365. I go travelling around the world in April for a year and need to know I can enjoy my food while I'm away without going crazy.

I've gone over to the dark side again. One thing that is REALLY noticeable is the hunger. I have (non W30) breakfast and then I am STARVING by 10.30. You get so used to how your body responds to W30 that you forget what it's like when you don't. It is not yet lunchtime and I have been chewing my hand off all morning (and eating as well). I will pull it all together again, but not sure if I'll be ready to do a W30 by 1st March. Going over to the dark side is mostly about other stuff (duh) ... it's such a PITA that feeding myself properly tends to go out of the window as well. Keep my seat warm ...

I went to my new naturopath lastnight. I like her so far. Her viewpoints seem to line up with mine pretty closely. She gave me a list of supplements to try to see if they help my symptoms (b complex with methyfolate, vitamin A both internally and topically for my psoriasis, L-theanine for anxiety, and Thorne Phytisone for general feeling of wellbeing, and encouraged me to add a fish oil supplement) She thought it was awesome that I brew my own kombucha and suggested trying sourkraut and fermented pickles to add even more probiotics, something I was considering doing anyway, and also wants me to get more exercise starting with walking and moving up to strength training. She's also going to get blood work done for a few things and noticed that my thyroid was very slightly enlarged, and is going to refer me to a cardiologist so I can know for sure what's going on with my heart. Excited/nervous to know what's going on for sure.

Still on the wagon here. Other than white rice and regular butter, I haven't gone off road so far. I got on the scale this morning, 143.6, which is one pound down from the end of January. I'm happy about it. My clothes fit normally now and I feel good. I doubt I'll see much downward movement on the scale from here on. I've been slowly ramping up my running, getting ready for a half marathon in April. I think its time to make some different dishes and vegetables though. I'm thinking a roast in the crock pot for tomorrow with carrots and potatoes. I need to venture out and try some new recipes. I'm seem to get in a rut with food, but at least it keeps me on track.

Good morning all. I'm back from Greece and sooo ready to get back to some wholesome eating! I'm also ready to get more active. I tried to get in some good walks while we were gone but am itching to get back to my usual routine. Leaving for a long walk along the beach very soon.

So, I indulged in bread and pastries and other not so great for you stuff in Greece. Some of it, like artisan bread dipped in local olive oil and traditional cream pie was totally worth it. Cookies and chips from the store not so much... I can't say I feel great but I'm working really hard on not beating myself up and I'm not going near those scales!

I know a few days of getting back to regular scheduling will have me feeling good again. I already have a grocery order being delivered is morning with lots of veggies and good stuff and I made a trip to the butcher before I left to stock the freezer. It's all under control .

I can certainly sympathize with you, Semolina, about feeding yourself properly going out the window!!!! I am completely off the rails!!!

I hadn't been feeling well, just allergies & my mouth being really, really dry.  Dr did some blood work & everything came back fine....just a little low on B12 & she told me to pick up a supplement (still haven't done that but mouth is better). Had been eating okay very little off roading but was getting low & had a cook up planned for last weekend.  Hubby arranged a different plan...........he went into AFIB  and was in the hospital from Thurs nite until yesterday afternoon! It was really scary because he had open heart surgery about 2 yrs ago with lots of work done. Dr did a heart cath on Monday & results were mixed, Mostly good but some not so good.  He is home now & feels really good for the most part. I am very thankful for that!!

As a result of the above.......I have gone right back to the emotional crazy eating that just seems to come "naturally" for me.  The cafeteria in the hospital was horrible & I would eat a healthy breakfast and then not get to eat again until 10:30 PM or later. I drive by just about every fast food place in the world.......emotionally stressed to the max and starving to death!! Have you got the picture!!

I am a mess & trying to figure out WHEN I am going to be able to get a cook up done & get myself back on track!!!!!

Any suggestions

My main suggestion is not to beat yourself up about it. Try and ease back in rather than immediately pressurising yourself to be 100% compliant and do a massive cook up. Have some nice veggies and try and relax - you've had a stressful time. When you're ready you'll get back to it.

Miminette -- I totally agree with Jodea. Be gentle with yourself: that's a lot of crap you're dealing with and it's HARD to put all that effort into eating when you've been dealt a body blow. Just eat as many veggies as you can and wait until you are suddenly struck with "I can do this!" ... it will happen.

The force is with me again. :) I've been eating clean(ish) for about a week now, and even not feeling bad about my (minor) offroading. I've actually got some dark chocolate in the house at the moment as an experiment: I wonder if I can shape the occasional off roading into something I am happier with rather than ending up eating shop-bought jam tarts (I know, I know, what were they doing in the house in the first place? They went in the bin after I had one ...).

I have also decided not to cater for DH anymore ... I'm happy to cook for him but he needs to eat EXACTLY what I'm eating, or fend for himself.

And after just a few days of clean(ish) eating my ankle is a normal size again. Woo-hoo! Long may this continue. Feeling in a pretty good place right now but I also know how precarious that is. We're moving house at the end of the month and I hope I don't get swamped with all that stuff. Right, suppose I had better go work.

Thanks for the encouragement AND the easing back in idea!! I'm one of those "do it 100% or not at all" kinda people......Consequently, sometimes I wind up doing NOTHING! Think I will take it one meal at a time.

Fortunately my DH actually said on the way home from the hospital....."Why don't I just try to eat what you put in front of me?"  I almost drove off the road.  I had tried cooking for him along the Heart Associations Guidelines (that was all I knew about at the time) and he didn't like anything I cooked.  I just gave up because I would cook, he would eat some, and then I would eat the rest for lunches.  He didn't like anything. Sooooooo, I am going to feed him what I am going to be eating & pray it is the right thing to do for him.........I already KNOW it is right for me.

Jodea..hope you are getting back into your routine AND hope you got to spend some quality time with your dad like you had hoped.

Semolina so glad your ankle is better!! That is one of the ways I know this is so good for me....my hip was not bothering me when I got to the end of W30

Thanks again for the good advice AND for being on this thread  :)

Miminette, I know what you mean about being all or nothing with this kind of thing. I'm exactly the same, I think it's to do with being a bit of a perfectionist for me. That is such fantastic news about your husband, I really hope it works for him.

I did get some good time in with my dad, thank you. He gave up smoking after 50 years and looks so much better for it. It was great to see him looking after himself. Of course, it took a huge health scare to make him stop...!

I'm getting right back to clean eating this week, and really feeling the benefits. Having the odd little treat but in a good place and really enjoying my exercise. Long may it continue, but, like you Semolina, it always feels a bit precarious... I'm moving in a couple of weeks too. Let's see how we go!

Good to hear from you all. Keep at it

Archived