Portable breakfasts to eat in the car?

Claire M

I know it's not ideal, but I eat in the car...  During the week, i have some very early morning appointments (workout, and then I go to see my analyst at 7) and then an hour commute to work (8-9), and when I get to work I have to dive right in.  Can't quite bring myself to eat breakfast at 4:30-5 in the morning.  Thus, I eat breakfast in the car. The only thing i have been able to come up with are frittatas, which are good, but I am getting bored.  Any ideas?  Any Whole 30 compliant smoothies out there?  

Hi Claire, I will be starting my Whole30 in a couple of days and I have everything planned out except breakfast because I know I will have a similar problem. I've been surviving on morning smoothies for years but I know those have to go. My tentative plan is to try some chicken sausage patties and maybe Nom Nom Paleo's "Egg Foo Young-ish". They should both be portable and meet my morning protein needs. I'll let you know how it goes but I look forward to hearing what more people think about this topic. 

Meatballs are an easy fingerfood, and you can incorporate some veg and fats - think spinach and/or grated sweet potato, chopped compliant bacon - and then supplement with some cold veg.  Paleomg.com, nomnompaleo.com and theclothesmakethegirl.com have a number of meatball recipes.  I haven't tried them, but lots of people like the Scotch Eggs from theclothesmakethegirl.com (think meatball with a boiled egg in the center).  I keep meaning to try the Green Sliders on nomnompaleo.com.

One of the moderators, GFCHRIS, has chimed in a number of times recently with advice on (a) smoothies (i.e., not permitted because, among other things, drinking your food is not as satiating as eating it) and (B) breakfast foods.  You might search for posts by GFCHRIS.  

Good luck!

One of the moderators, GFCHRIS, has chimed in a number of times recently with advice on (a) smoothies (i.e., not permitted because, among other things, drinking your food is not as satiating as eating it) and ( B) breakfast foods.  You might search for posts by GFCHRIS.  

So, the little smiley guy is supposed to be a "b" in parentheses.  Oops.

I have a baggie of vegetable fritters in my freezer, and a baggie of sliders, and a baggie of sausages patties.  If you grab a meat or sausage patty and a veggie patty, you've got a complete meal.  You could also make breakfast egg/veggie muffins if you want eggs for breakfast.  I'm not anti-microwave so just warm them in the microwave before leaving.  You could pre-make egg rings and basically have all the makings for an egg/sausage sandwich if you want.

I also recently made salmon/sweet potato cakes and froze those.  They are great handheld meals, too.

( B)

B)

Had to try it - too cute

©

(d)

On the smoothies, they are discouraged on a Whole30 for the reasons that ABS32013 stated. Bottom line: the idea is to eat/chew whole food, as it is more satiating.

I'm wondering if a possible alternative is for you to have a postWO snack of a protein and carb within 30 minutes after your workout (something like chicken and sweet potato)? Then bring a full template meal of protein, veg and fat to have at work when you get there. You could pack that in a small cooler or insulated bag.  If you have a microwave at work for reheating, the possibilities are endless. If you don't, then focus on things that taste good cold or use a thermos for soups and chilis.

While Whole30 prefers that you not eat at your desk, it's a step above eating in your car.  ;)

I've been making this killer turkey soup out of thighs and legs I buy in the meat dept of the grocery store, plus a bunch of veggies.  If having soup isn't too weird first thing in the morning, you could put it in a portable coffee mug / cup and have it sometime in your hectic morning schedule.  I'm loving it so much I'd eat it for bfast, honestly.

I get up at 4:30 also and am in the car by 5.  I don't eat at home either.  Usually I eat at my desk...however, I have a lot of portable breakfasts.  One thing that has helped me is to stop thinking of it as 'breakfast food'.  I go through the fridge and put leftovers in my bag.  This morning, I had a couple bites of a grassfed filet that my daughter didn't finish last night (I consider that more of a treat because it's so awesome!)  I'm a big fan of deviled eggs.  I get some fat (olive oil) as well as protein from them and they are easy to pop in my mouth.  And then I bring some sort of veg.  Usually it's a baggie of lettuce.  I can pour olive oil and vinegar in the bag and shake it up to mix.  Then I eat it right out of the bag with a fork.  Strange, I know, but it's really convenient.  I throw the bag away when done.

Today, I found a baggie full of steamed broccoli in the fridge leftover from a weekend dinner.  It's probably almost two cups, so I didn't bring any lettuce for breakfast, I'll have the broccoli instead.

One thing that helps is to put any and all leftovers in a bag in the fridge.  At the time, it doesn't seem like the portions are worth saving, but they make great breakfast items if you put several of them together.  Saves time and money!

cold omelette is good or cook the mix in muffin tins for easily transportable goodies. Cold meat and salad in a box with dressing in a separate bottle works for me too. A carry out breakfast is no different to a carry out lunch or dinner. And are you allowing for pre and post workout meals as well?

Thanks for all of the responses.  Some good tips here.  My long range goal is to move closer to work and free up some time in the morning.  House is on the market, but it has been slow with the winter we've had.  Meanwhile, I will try some of your suggestions.  Love the idea of keeping veggie fritters and salmon cakes in the freezer.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the car is a tough one. I just made a fritta and it's pretty firm. I think if I had to heat and run then I could place it in foil to keep warm and peel around the fritta as I ate it. Then when I get to the office or back home I can rinse and throw in recycle bin. An idea.

Turkey or roast beef wraps. As in wrap long, thinly sliced veggies such as carrots, bell peppers, zucchinis with one or several slices of the meat. Fasten them with toothpicks, or tie them with long veggie stems. Sort of a mini burrito. Munch on as many of them as you like on the road.

Check it out at Nom Nom Paleo.

I know you said you're bored with the frittata, but try toying around with different spins on the basic recipe. I'm pretty excited about a chipotle-chorizo combo I recently tried.

Also, for portability's sake, I pour the mix into muffin cups and eat one or two for breakfast. They're super easy to throw in a plastic baggy for transport, and they taste pretty good cold (if you don't have time to heat them up).

• 3 weeks later...

Try changing your mind set from "breakfast"  to "Meal 1".  It has helped me a whole lot - I now eat things for breakfast that I never thought I would:  ie beef stew (not car compliant, I know), shredded pork wrapped in lettuce, chicken sausage, etc.  In fact, the other day I had to have the car at the shop way too early in the morning - I took a salad with egg and sausage in it!

Archived