What do I eat for breakfast?

redchickn

Hi guys, 

I'm starting tomorrow (Thursday). 

If you can't eat eggs, or nuts, what do we eat for breakfast, and on a regular basis? 

I would like to eat eggs, but I read that the Whole 30 program instructs people with auto immune diseases (I have Celiac) not to eat them. 

Nuts are out too, no? 

What do we eat for breakfast?

thanks!

Laura

• Moderators

Hi guys, 

I'm starting tomorrow (Thursday). 

If you can't eat eggs, or nuts, what do we eat for breakfast, and on a regular basis? 

I would like to eat eggs, but I read that the Whole 30 program instructs people with auto immune diseases (I have Celiac) not to eat them. 

Nuts are out too, no? 

What do we eat for breakfast?

thanks!

Laura

Hold on. We recommend you start with an ordinary Whole30 and not the more restrictive autoimmune protocol. If you know you are sensitive to or allergic to eggs, you should, of course, not eat them, but in the absence of specific knowledge of having a problem, you do not need to restrict yourself. Most people do not need the autoimmune protocol to experience a good Whole30. 

We recommend that every meal includes protein, fat, and veggies, including breakfast. I eat scrambled eggs with a side of cold sauerkraut for breakfast most days lately.

Nuts are a fat source and get many people into trouble during a Whole30 because they are tasty and easy to over-eat. Nuts also cause digestive distress for a fair number of people. Feel free to leave nuts out of your Whole30. Seriously. That would be a good thing. 

I grilled an enormous sirloin steak last night. For breakfast this morning, I am going to have steak with leftover cauliflower and carrots from last night. I might eat eggs for supper today.

One more thing: There must be more than 20 forum posts where people have asked and had answered the question - What can I eat for breakfast besides eggs. Search and you will find. 

Here's what Sarah Ballantyne has to say about eggs on AIP : http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/06/whys-behind-autoimmune-protocol-eggs.html

This was hard for me to get my head around, no eggs for 30 days (or more, I'm considering extending another 30 days)

My first idea was to join those who have dinner-type foods for breakfast, but I don't have much of an appetite in the morning and sitting in front of a plate of meat and savory veg was just making me nauseous.  

This week I've tried making coconut milk smoothies - 1/2 cup or so of berries and coconut milk (just made my first coconut milk kefir yesterday).  I know for W30 they're a "rather you didn't" but if you don't use tons of fruit (and are already quite limited in what you can eat due to AIP) I think they're ok.  I actually did a few days of having berries with coconut milk poured on top, eating like it was cereal I guess, but I don't actually like the taste of straight coconut milk (the kefir process greatly improved it, by the way).  May not be squeaky clean W30 but it's squeaky clean AIP and that's more important to me (and harder!) 

Why does it say in the book that people with auto immune conditions should avoid eggs for 90 days?

My understanding is that most people with celiac just need to avoid gluten and possibly dairy to feel better. Eggs may not be irritating their gut. If you have a more severe auto immune disease such as Lupis, Hashimoto's thyroiditisMultiple sclerosis, etc then you might want to try the Auto Immune Protocol. I would do the regular whole30 first. Here is a link to The Paleo Mom with more information. http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/05/you-may-have-autoimmune-disease-but.html.   

My understanding is that most people with celiac just need to avoid gluten and possibly dairy to feel better. Eggs may not be irritating their gut. If you have a more severe auto immune disease such as Lupis, Hashimoto's thyroiditisMultiple sclerosis, etc then you might want to try the Auto Immune Protocol. I would do the regular whole30 first. Here is a link to The Paleo Mom with more information. http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/05/you-may-have-autoimmune-disease-but.html.   

This isn't necessarily the case.  While celiac disease is triggered by gluten ingestion, there is some evidence that folks may be sensitive to other foods as well.  Removing gluten begins the healing process, but there is often much irritation and inflammation that needs to heal as well. That can take time and require a gentle hand.

That said, in this case I'd recommend starting with the good ole fashioned Whole30 program and then removing eggs at a later point if you're still struggling with pain or inflammation. In my opinion, anyone with digestive issues will likely benefit from giving nuts a pass.

• 3 weeks later...

I eat caveman crunch which has sunflower and pumkin seeds, crushed almonds, unsweetened coconut, honey, coconut oil, cinnamon and vanilla.

Sorry, this is not Whole30 compliant, due to at least the honey, and perhaps the vanilla, if it's vanilla extract. 

Further, it doesn't meet the recommended meal template of protein, veg and fat.

I actually know it wasn't whole 30 compliant. I've been clean eating for a while doing mostly paleo. This makes an addictive breakfast or meal anytime. So once your complete with the whole 30 it is a great clean meal. I top with fresh or frozen rasberries and blueberries. With 30 cal almond milk.

We'll take out the honey and you're whole 30 compliant. Geez.

Excuse me? Caveman Crunch is a product. You can't "take the honey out" unless you are the manufacturer. In the larger scheme of things,  whole30 recommends a template meal for breakfast, meaning a palm-size portion of protein, a thumb-size portion of fat and several cups of vegetables. Caveman Crunch doesn't meet that standard, so I wouldn't recommend it for breakfast on a whole30 even without the honey.

EDIT: sorry, I assumed this was a purchased product, but now see it is a recipe, so it would be possible to eliminate the honey. that would not make it a good whole30 choice for breakfast, but it would be possible.

Archived