Starting 3/24 Lets do this and change!

EJSmadhatter

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still around. I didn't become non compliant last week but did snack and "use" fruit in a dessert habit way. I was very, very tempted to use ranch dressing!

So, this week, I made a plan. I have a week's worth of : breakfast frittatas, pork/spinach meatloaf with mashed rutabaga/carrot/cauliflower and spaghetti squash with veggie/italian sausage sauce.

The food is *excellent* and so I am looking forward to eating this week.

I'm trying to decide how to end my Whole 30; whether to go to low carb or have a day of, well, spurging. I have a lot of weight to lose. I've been contemplating a Whole 30 since it was first posted online. It seemed like a perfect kick off to resume low carb.

Wow today is HARD!!! I just want to eat everything I see!! Haven't eat anything non-compliant but definitely eating more fruit and not enough real food. Chocolate chili in crockpot at home so I'm hoping the evening is easier. :-(

For those of you struggling with snacking my advice would be to first determine why you are snacking and then create an appropriate action plan.

If you are snacking because you are legitimately hungry (enough to eat something compliant but unappealing if that was what was available) than you should look at your meals and see if they may need to be bigger. I find most mid day hunger stems from a first meal that was too small. If you do find yourself hungry between meals try to eat a mini meal with protein and fat. We recommend you try to avoid nuts between meals because they are often foods with no breaks and are something we recommend you limit anyway.  

If you are snacking out of habit or because you are craving something than find something else to do. Anything else. The idea here is to reprogram our emotional response. Many of us (myself included) come from a place of eating for emotional reasons not hunger and the only way to break that response is to create a new habit. Perhaps make a list of things to do in this situation and post it on your fridge and/or pantry door. Somewhere you will see it when you are in that moment of decision.

Hey all! I'm about a week behind you guys (started 3/31 so on Day 10!!) but the 3/31 thread is pretty quiet except for 2 of us who are posting consistently! So I'm gonna jump board here---Tayleo has also been helpful to me in some personal messaing---thanks!!  I've already gotten some great advice for you all and perusing the thread for the last hour. (and want to try this chocolate chili). Everything has been pretty good for  me so far, except for some fruit and nut snacking (thanks sugar demon), but I've been doing better with those. I've been able to cook most of my meals at home, (work from home). but Friday leaving for 10 days (2 work trips, and a trip to Denver where my boyfriend lives and where I am moving in a month). I've already tried to plan my meals/strategy for the work trips....but I will DEFINITELY need some encouragement from this thread as I've been living in a very helpful at-home environment not tempted by the outside world that much in the past 10 days. It's all about to change!!

Glad to meet you guys!

Tough day!  It was a real struggle but I managed to stick with the plan.  It just seemed like everywhere I turned today, someone was eating something that I wanted and couldn't have.

amberlyrose - I agree.  It is time to switch things up!  I came home and made mayo and a lemon chive dressing from a link in the newsletter.  Hopefully that will perk up my taste buds.

eksimmerman - Welcome.  It sounds like you have a lot going on in your life!  Sounds like you are well prepared for the upcoming challenges.

Hi, I'm glad I found this thread.... I also started on march 31st so today is day 18 for me. I feel I have been compliant with the program minus a couple of things.... i have an apple in the afternoon (around 3 pm on most days) and I weigh myself every day! It has been tough to see the scale not budge at all, but I'm not complaining about that because it's my own fault since i shouldn't be weighing myself in the first place!

I would have to say that the breakfast meal is by far the hardest because i don't get hungry in the morning and eggs are getting kind of old.

How have you all been holding up in the energy section? I find that I am very tired. I keep telling myself it's the carb flu, but it seems odd that I would feel this way this far in to it. The other thing is headaches; oh man they are almost daily. I did realize that my water consumption had been way low so I'm hoping that will take care of it for the most part. I also have told myself that i will not have kombucha during lunch, instead i will have water and if I'm hydrated enough, then I'll have some booch in the afternoon.

On the positive side, i feel very proud to have cleaned my diet this way. I do think my complexion is a bit better, though acne was never one of my issues. i have found a new appreciation for ghee and caulifower as well.

How have you all been holding up in the energy section? I find that I am very tired. I keep telling myself it's the carb flu, but it seems odd that I would feel this way this far in to it.

I had serious energy issues during the first week but since then I have felt an increase in energy.  It seems like I constantly go, go, go, go until all of a sudden I realize hey, it's late, I'm tired, and it's time to go to bed.  This was not normal before.  I use to go home from work and just want to sit and relax.  It's a nice change.

I had serious energy issues during the first week but since then I have felt an increase in energy.  It seems like I constantly go, go, go, go until all of a sudden I realize hey, it's late, I'm tired, and it's time to go to bed.  This was not normal before.  I use to go home from work and just want to sit and relax.  It's a nice change.

That's awesome that your energy has increased, way to go! I'm sure it's going to improve for me as well,the headaches are getting better so hopefully it's all transient :)

I've completely lost track of what day we're on - but I know we are past the half way point!  I had planned on extending this (my third) Whole 30 well beyond the 30 day mark, so I haven't really been keeping track of the number of days!

Food wise things are going very well - except for a little snacking issue I had yesterday after receiving my "Primal Packs" in the mail. Holy Hannah - they are like Whole 30 approved crack!  I purchased them to take along with me when I go to Paris in May - but couldn't resist trying them first.  I learned my lesson - definitely a "no brakes" issue for me and I have now hidden them away in a cupboard until I leave on vacation!

Today I'll be planning my menu for the week ahead, and doing the grocery shopping.  I'll make chocolate chili for my "red" meat and use that on top of Power salads for lunches. I will be hard "boiling" a dozen eggs (I've been baking the in the oven rather than "boiling"- how easy is that!) and think I will use a variety of fish as the protein for my dinners this week.  I made mayo and citrus dressing yesterday - and will stock up on avocados so I should be good for my fats this week.

As long as I stay away from the Primal Packs - all will be well!

Hope everyone had a good week - I am feeling really well this week.  No longer tired or cranky, and starting to feel a fair bit more energetic.  Looking forward to seeing what the week ahead brings.

Kerry -  I lost track of what day we are on over the weekend.  I'm hoping that's a sign of this way of eating is becoming more normal and less of a drastic change from the way things had been.

Today I will have my 3rd eating out experience.  It's a coworkers birthday lunch and we are going to a sushi place. Wish me luck!

I also went out one lunch last week.  My lesson learned was to make sure my meal is balanced. I was so focused on not eating anything I shouldn't that when I got my plate of nothing but eggs and bacon I realized all I had was fat and protein, and no carbs. 

I'm just not feeling it today, you guys. I'm not craving sugar, but I just want a nice, light breakfast like yogurt. 

I had my first sugar dream about 3 days ago. Haha. It was about office doughnuts. lol! 

I changed up my pre-made food this week using nom nom paleo. Breakfast is the apple/ground turkey stuff from the book with butternut squash, lunch is beef roast with a sweet potato, and dinner is crockpot chicken with cauliflower mash. 

I bought some ghee last night from Whole Foods and I think next week I'm going to do zoodles, marinara sauce (from WF) and home made meatballs :)

I'm just not feeling it today, you guys. I'm not craving sugar, but I just want a nice, light breakfast like yogurt. 

I had my first sugar dream about 3 days ago. Haha. It was about office doughnuts. lol! 

I changed up my pre-made food this week using nom nom paleo. Breakfast is the apple/ground turkey stuff from the book with butternut squash, lunch is beef roast with a sweet potato, and dinner is crockpot chicken with cauliflower mash. 

I bought some ghee last night from Whole Foods and I think next week I'm going to do zoodles, marinara sauce (from WF) and home made meatballs :)

Hang in there, we are so close to the finish line. I was seriously craving a marshmallow cereal yesterday afternoon. A nice package of gluten, sugar, and dairy in one! I'm glad I didn't cave in to it since it wasn't worth it. If my math is correct I think today is day 24 or 25! I think this is the longest I have ever stuck with anything as consistently as I have.

I LOVE ghee.... But nowadays I just make our own since it's pricey.

Wow - hard to believe we are on Day 26 already!  

I seem to have beaten the cravings - at least for now - but have had some issues with skin rashes - eczema I guess.  I expect my lifetime of poor eating habits will take longer than 30 days to "get out of my system"!  I will try and stay with the program for 45 days and this time will try and follow the reintroduction program more carefully than I have on my past two attempts.  I really do not want to fall back into old habits this time. 

amberlyrose - did you try the zoodles?  how were they?

Ecolimonsters - I purchased some ghee - but am not sure what to do with it!  do you use it like you would butter, or is it intended for cooking?

I'm wondering how many others have stuck with us for the duration?

I'm still hanging in there.  We are in the home stretch!  I haven't noticed much difference in how I feel since about day 15 or so.  I rarely have cravings but when I do it is for something cheesy!  Dairy will be my first reintroduction.  I'm looking forward to it.

NoelleD - wondering how you made out at the Sushi restaurant?  Sushi is one of my favorite "treats" - did you find there were lots of Whole 30 compliant options?

I didn't find a lot of options but I was able to make due.  If you like fish that's easy to find as long as you dont need the rice to go with it.  I ate the salad that always comes before the meal but I had it dry.  None of the ginger dressing.  I had a soup that was beef, broth, and veggies.  You have to be careful there's no added sugar in the broth though.  So all in all I found it quite challenging because I'm not a person who like raw fish without some rice go go with it.

I didn't find a lot of options but I was able to make due.  If you like fish that's easy to find as long as you dont need the rice to go with it.  I ate the salad that always comes before the meal but I had it dry.  None of the ginger dressing.  I had a soup that was beef, broth, and veggies.  You have to be careful there's no added sugar in the broth though.  So all in all I found it quite challenging because I'm not a person who like raw fish without some rice go go with it.

NoelleD - wondering how you made out at the Sushi restaurant?  Sushi is one of my favorite "treats" - did you find there were lots of Whole 30 compliant options?

If you were to get soup, you would also need to check that there's nothing like gluten, soy, non-compliant oils or MSG in the broth either. 

Happy day 27!

Kerry54lee, I use ghee for eggs, and cauliflower mash, plus any other veggie that we sautéed. Since the dairy components are gone and all that is left is the fat it has a higher smoke point. I go between ghee and coconut oil. If I was eating bread I would spread it but since those ads are over I guess I just cook with it :)

Archived