Mayonaise

Kayt

When they say add the oil slowly - really, add the oil slooowly. I use the recipe from Well Fed (theclothesmakethegirl.com) and it's perfect every time. I've heard to use room temp eggs, so that's what I do. Not sure if it matters, but since mine always works, I haven't tried otherwise :) Good luck! This stuff really is delicious and makes eggs and meat extra lovely.

• Moderators

Glen mentioned he uses extra light olive oil.  What do you guys use?

I use the extra light olive oil too. It's cheaper than avocado oil, at least around here. I have done part extra light olive oil and part avocado oil, but didn't notice much of a difference in taste, so I went back to just the olive oil.

I was a big "room temp doesn't matter," add everything at once immersion blender proponent but the mayo gods smited me down for my hubris. Suddenly I couldn't make mayo. I've tried changing many variables and I'd say the number one factor is the freshness of the eggs.

I use Paleo Mom's yolk-only recipe with straight up coconut oil. Avocado oil is nice but pricey and I like the taste of a lemony CO oil--especially with herbs and anchovy paste. And I think it wasn't working when the oil wasn't above melting point. I'd let the jar sit near the stove and melt but that didn't work. (I really like mayo and would eat it by the bucket; light olive oil skeeves me out with its chemical extraction highly refined processing and I wouldn't want to eat that much of it.)

This fix method always worked before but even that was a no go. http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2011/09/what-to-do-when-your-mayonnaise-wont-set-how-to-thicken-failed-mayo.html

When my mayo was falling I read tens of blog posts about mayo. One thing I would also rec is mixing all your ingredients but oil before adding oil. This helps emulsification.

As part of my recent AIP stint I excluded yolks so mayo was off the table. I wanted to reintro and yesterday was over 80 degrees. My CO was liquid. I chickened out and went for the room temp food processor method (letting my yolks sit out for a few hours). JOY!

After emulsifying I added anchovy paste and fresh chives from a neighbor's garden. Pure delight annnnnnd no apparent reaction to the yolks. Happy day. Last I highly recommend a green goddes type dip made with your mayo. It's fab.

After a mayo-mishap last night, I would also remind everyone that it's very important to make sure that the jar you're using with an immersion blender or whisk (I electric whisk, personally) is firmly planted on the bench at all times - the whisk spun the jar around, things went crazy, next minute I was cleaning the floor, the cupboards, the vase of flowers, the clean dishes and kettle on the bench, me...

• 2 weeks later...

I follow Melissa's blog-posted method.... perfect every time.  I've found that I like extra light olive oil and that the squeeze of lemon at the end really improves the taste without being too "lemony."

Also, I've started putting the egg in a bowl of hot water while i gather everything and set up the food processor.  This way it's closer to room temp when I add it in, but I don't have to take an egg out and sit it on the counter in advance that way.  I found that having to take the egg out to warm up in advance just wasn't working because then I'd get busier than I intended, the mayo wouldn't get made, and the egg would end up tossed.  I hate wasting!!!

Thanks all, I will try the suggestions here. I have never had any luck with homemade Mayo.

BTW Costco has Non GMO Avocado oil ($9.99 Liter). (Don't know if that is considered expensive or not?) I use it for salad dressing and coconut oil or ghee for everything else (Nutiva brand Coco oil also inexpensive at Costco: 2.3 Liter/78 oz = $22.99)

Off to try Mayo! :)

Archived