Dirty 30 "Best Group on W30"

dcducks1

Hey everyone - enjoying the banter today. :)

I have been thinking about another W30 with a proper, by-the-book, reintro at the end; I never really did that and I think it has (finally) sunk in that I need to do so. If others are starting on Monday, I can do so as well.

Higs - are you posting on another thread for support for this next round?

Fran - I must have missed your link to the article on Moderator vs Abstainer. Can you point me to that?

Meadow - I love that you posted the Blake Shelton video; I never even knew who he was before "The Voice", and I am shocked to see the long(er) hair! 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, Sissy! (btw - my sister calls me Sissie, and I call her Sissi  - and yes, we're weirdos who spell it just like that)

http://www.gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2012/05/quiz-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/

Meadow - you truly crack me up!

While I'm not the hugest fan of Blake Shelton's music - I must say that he is one handsome tall drink of water! When Blake Shelton, Adam Levine, and Usher were all judges on The Voice, I didn't know where to look first!!

It's a good one.  Abstainer or Moderator.  

Yes, he is 6'5" .  One nice lookin' man, yep.

He had a mullet in his younger days.

Pronounced "MUHL LET" 

A hairstyle in which the front is cut trim, but the back is long, left wild and often uncut. Even when the back is cut, it is still longer than the front.  Alternate names include: 

Ape Drape. Bi - Level. Camero Cut. Business in the front, Party in the back. Canadian passport.  El-camino. Hockey hair. Kentucky waterfall. Missouri compromise. Mudflap. Neckwarmer. Ranchero. Achy-breaky-bad-mistakey. Soccer rocker. Squirrel pelt. Tennessee tophat. Yep-nope.

2004-blake-shelton-400.jpg   blake-shelton-big-wheel-2001.jpg

Frannie, I'm in a similar place regarding reintros. I keep waiting to really REALLY feel better on W30,60,90,120,nnn and THEN I'll do reintros. My thought is that until I am really eating to the W30 plan, I shouldn't try the next step, that is, reintros.

I keep having trouble eating enough... I get thrilled with the weight loss, and I don't WANT to eat lunch. Then my brain hurts, I get tired, I feel crappy... gee, really? No fuel in the middle of the day and I feel crappy... there's a surprise. Not.

Anyway, today I am wearing size 14 pants that I haven't worn in about 10 years. BUT, on the plus side, I ate a huge Meal 1 today -- all the cooked protein and veggies in the fridge thrown in a pan with some bacon (compliant) grease, some chicken broth (compliant), some cumin and chili powder, a shot of vinegar, and a couple tablespoons of tomato paste. Basically... the Well Fed 2 taco-meat recipe using already-cooked protein and veggies instead of starting from scratch with ground beef... hope that made sense. I ate a ton of it before work, and I'll eat the rest tonight. Wait... is that only two meals today??? Yup. It's been an odd day, and I didn't even eat until noon, right before coming to work at 1:00, just after helping my dad get his car towed, arranging other transportation for my mom's appointments today, cleaning the kitchen, cooking, eating, cleaning the kitchen again, taking a bath, and going to work. <sigh> Do I sound as scattered as I feel? Oh well, try to do better tomorrow.

I'm thinking that yoga class or qigong class better hurry up and get signed up for. Wait... who will do the signing up? Oh, right... me. Better get to it, eh?

Well, I'm sure I sound like some kind of speed freak today, but really, this is just the way my brain goes on and on and on once all the toxins and poisons of junk food and sugar are gone. I think I'm a little manic by nature (hell, I know I am), and the years of sedating myself with sugar and junky carbs actually served a purpose, for a while. Same with alcohol, for a while. All of them would end up killing me eventually. But, I think now, today, with some age, some sobriety, and some maturity (well, a little bit anyway) I have a chance to channel some of the manic-ness into physical activity (though i seem to keep talking about it and not doing it, don't I? Hmmmm). 

Moving on the the next phase of my day now... end of work, now on to grocery shopping, cooking, eating, cleaning the kitchen (ahhh, the dread monotony of ordinary life :-). Honestly, after the life I've had, with enough self-imposed drama and crises to last 100 years--I crave and welcome normal, ordinary life.

And now I'm out of here, before you all decide to send the little men in the white coats to get me. :-)

ann

Hi everyone,

Deb, Meadow, I completely agree with what you're saying, and I really don't want to start yo-yo-ing.  That would be, how do you say it in LA, Deb?  Cray cray?  I do feel like I probably need more than 30 days to get new habits ingrained.  What happened to me was that after the first W30 was that I really wanted to stretch it out longer, but knew I had the big river trip where I'd need to go off the rails.  So I ended at 30 days, did proper reintros with ample time before my trip, noticed no real ill effects, did my trip and then started W30 #2 as soon as I got back because I'd wanted to carry on anyway.  Where I messed up is at the end of W30 #2.  After 30 days I started making small allowances (a little sugar in a salad dressing here, a little canola oil in hot bar food at Whole Foods there).  But after probably three weeks of that, I sort of fell off the wagon over the last week with compliant eating most or all of the day, but two or three days of completely off road eating.

What I've learned is that my biggest temptations are, no surprise, alcohol and chocolate.  I don't really miss dairy or grains.  So, as it turns out, I DO have a sugar dragon, after all!

I'm starting #3 for exactly that reason, sort of a realignment, and a way to refocus because the rules really are helpful to me.  Cris is going out of town again to visit his mother, who is still undergoing chemo and is very sick.  He has a one way ticket since he doesn't know how long he's going to be there.  It is very good timing for me to dive back in and perhaps (finally!) add in the yoga that I've been talking about for a year.  We'll celebrate my  birthday tomorrow with a nice dinner (and wine) before Cris heads to Colorado and before I go back on plan on Sunday or Monday.

Laurie, Sissy, I'm starting again but I don't know yet if I'll join one of the forums.  I did pop in on one since folks there were from Portland, but remember from last time that it was too hard to keep up with two threads!

Happy day all.

Higs - good one.   It is easier to maintain a lazer focus when you don't have to cook anything but what's on the W30 protocol.  I love that word ....protocol.   Deb taught me that.  :lol:  She's taught me all kinds of words that I throw around my family.   That's some serious shizz.   Cray Cray and sweet pot.     They keep thinking I'm saying the "Sweet Spot" and talking about golf.   Noooo, I'm talking about sweet potatoes.  :D   Miss Silver Dollar really loved the Sweet Pot  :lol: 

sweet_potato_text.jpg

Momentum.   It's hard to replicate it.   Don't change horses midstream.

changehorses.jpg

When you're on a roll and riding your wave...ride it as high and as long as you can.

I liken it to top music artists.  When they're trying to reach the pinnacle of their career....going to Vegas usually cuts them off at the bees knees.  That's where you go when you're on your way out the door.   Artists have to strike while the iron is hot....ride that wave of success as long as they can.   Squeeze every bit of musical essence out of their bones.

For some....30 days is not enough.   Thirty days wasn't enough for me, so I went 90 days.  I found my sweet spot with foods.   I've been experimenting with every kind of food group and in every combination.   I switch it up and make recipes.  I make mayo and ketchup out of pinecones and dirt.   I thoroughly enjoy my twigs and berries.

resized_the-most-interesting-man-in-the-

Higs yes, that shit is CRAY. Or cray cray. But the kids probably think those words are so 5 years ago. 

I keep up with it all via the ex hubs, who works in news (as well as sports)  and is all over social media. 

Sounds like a good plan for you. I think canola oil is hard to avoid if eating anything outside the house so I let that one slide. 

Very sorry to hear about Cris's Mom - that is very hard.

I am glad you will have some time to yourself to dive back in. 

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY for tomorrow!!! 

Meadow lol my sweet pots I am too lazy to type the word potatoes. I made them the other night for John and he said "these are like crack" 

I was like THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING, AND THE PIGS LOVE THEM TOO!!!!!

There are no more in the house and I will attempt not to purchase any more. 

Yes, MOMENTUM is everything. Ride the wave. 

Deb - that was lovely.

Do you know what gave this original group momentum?   It was that.   Yes, we had the IOD, SOD, and MOD....but we shared the true grit of what life is really all about.

Dave said it best.  We had every kind of human vessel.  The sweet, the good and yes, the occasional bratty ratty. :D 

Yes, some of us wrote acerbic posts and we softened that up.   Miki called it Catch and Release....something fishermen do in Blue Ribbon streams.   We were like sandpaper...rubbing the rough edges off of each other.

It was lovely and epic.  It was the best.     Do I miss everyone?   Ya darn tootin', I do.   I miss all of them that have flown the coop.

Human vessels that sailed on to distant shores.   I wonder whatever happened to the Mole Killa's mother.    She thought about making a quilt out of those pelts.  :D   She was a cool lady.

You remember them and so do I.   They made a W30 exciting and we were riding the wave.....high and as far as we could.   Momentum is a jewel.   Cherish it, use it and let it take you into distant lands.

If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done.

Just finished a big plate of my favorite Brussels sprouts, sliced up and cooked in a little bacon fat, with the cooked bacon, diced onions, salt, black pepper, caraway seeds, and just a little bit of red pepper flakes. I let them get nice and browned and caramelized, then pushed them to the side and browned a bunch of grass-fed ground beef, with more salt and pepper and a little bit of cumin. Once the beef was well done, I stirred it all together and ate a ton of it. Yum! Sort of deconstructed cabbage rolls.

ann

Just finished a big plate of my favorite Brussels sprouts, sliced up and cooked in a little bacon fat, with the cooked bacon, diced onions, salt, black pepper, caraway seeds, and just a little bit of red pepper flakes. I let them get nice and browned and caramelized, then pushed them to the side and browned a bunch of grass-fed ground beef, with more salt and pepper and a little bit of cumin. Once the beef was well done, I stirred it all together and ate a ton of it. Yum! Sort of deconstructed cabbage rolls.

ann

I like roasted vegetables with bacon, too.   I could eat bacon for every meal.  It wouldn't be prudent.  :lol:   Crumbled bacon over avocado and sliced hard boiled eggs.  Oh, brother.    Bacon is delish.   I like to add hot salsa on top of that combo.   I've been eating roasted vegetables by the boatloads.    B  L  D....3 hots and a cot.  :D  I throw everything in there I can think off.  Parsnips, rutabagas,asparagus, celery, peppers - sweet and hot, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, onions, snap peas, carrots, sliced red and green cabbage, chinese cabbage...any thing you can think of.   I make individual zippys.  Grab N Go.

I wash everything like a raccoon does.  I think that's important right now during flu season.  Lots of peeps touch the produce before we do.

312309_d1ada92b45ef3edd38de3cc84fbf544d_  3705403202_2c7a6cf9e0.jpg

They love to wash their lil hands.  

l.jpg

I was EXHAUSTED driving home from work but I still managed to stop at Whole Foods to get BACON ha ha. 

I made roasted pumpkin/butternut squash soup for dinner with coconut milk, herbs, some chix stock and BACON. 

Yes, a lil low on the protein template but it hit the spot. 

LGO would like to see a raccoon...but no shawshanking to getter done.   No raccoons for LGO.   Your dinner has Fall written all over it.  

I wonder if you could make Bulletproof coffee with bacon's essential oils?   It would be better than using other things people want to put in their coffee.

Can I just say....Houston, we have a problem and Yuck, I need a bucket.

I think that's really nasty.  :P  :P  :P I can never unsee that...never ever.  It's hard for me to get the coffee thing out of my head, what in the world am I going to do with this info?  

How could you do that....take food out of a baby bird's mouth?!   That's cray cray.  Way cray shizz.  :D 

:D  :lol:   That hyena doesn't have any plaque on his teeth.  You know why?   He doesn't eat any simple carbs.   It's carbs that give you plaque and cavities.  He's not drinking soda pop or eating bars.

scarlett2_0.gif

He does look like he's been drinking coffee though.    Hope it doesn't have any of that you know what in it.

Deb, that soup sounds delicious. But then, it has BACON in it, so if course it's good.

Coffee. I lost my taste for it entirely during the first week or so of W30. Foolishly, I kept tasting it every few days and now I am drinking one big mug (black, nothing in it) in the mornings again. Not the vast amounts I used to drink, thank goodness, but still, I think one big mug of coffee is enough to impact my appetite, mood, and metabolism. Might have something to do with my inability/unwillingness/whatever to eat lunch, I would imagine. So I think I'll stop again... can't hurt.

Anyway, I can't think about all this weird stuff people put into coffee... and I surely do not want to see photos!! Butter in coffee? Really?? And oil? Ewwwww.

a.

Archived